Release Mupen64Plus 2.2

Umm, this might be obvious or explained somewhere, but I haven't seen any statements on this:

Are savestates (instant saving/loading) included yet? So saving in-game seems to work, but one the great advantages of emulators is of course being able to save/load savestates whenever you want.

Is this possible (what are the hotkeys?) and - as i suspect - if it's not possible, will it ever be?

Other then that, great work as always, Mario 64 works perfectly on my Rebirth (@1Ghz) now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious....some folks talking about "updated GLES plugion" or what have you...is this all part of the mupen PND file or are there seperate updates that you have to download?

I kept all my appdata stuff when I updated from 2.0.04 to 2.0.07 - do I have the latest plugins as part of the .pnd file?

Or should I have wiped out my appdata folder again when updating the .pnd?

Need to know, because I have my roms in there, too, and don't want to wipe them out.

Savestates should be supported, but I must say I still haven't tried.

For the keys, they are difined in the mupen64plus.cfg file (use the Config menu), in the [CoveEvents] section.

You can see that:

Kbd Mapping Save State = 286
Kbd Mapping Load State = 288

So, the number is the SDLK_* #define:

save = 286 = F5

load = 288 = F7

Last page ptitseb said that such a config per game collection would have to be done by the community.

I think a good way to let a pandora do find good configs would be:...
Or just find and port an N64 emu plugin that is known to be working 100% ;) . It would be so or so better instead of having many different plugins imho. I'm not up to date with todays PC/mobile N64 emulation but I'm sure they have matured plugins that work prety good. I guess there are alot of Emulators for Android/iOS mobile devices, maybe there can be found some useful stuff.Always try the easy way first. ^^

About your crash:

Do you use the latest build 07 of mupen 2 ?

Do you have the latest version of the Firmware installed?

How do you overclock? Can you post the pndrun file?

General guideline : for better speed, use GLES2N64 plugin first. If you have graphical glitches, try Glide. If you need more speed, try Rice or Glide.
Last build, installed yesterday, always using the latest firmware (or is there a new firmware out within the last week?). Plugin was the default one at the first crash. I didn't changed anything within the emulator before running the game. It is possible that Mupen messed up with the old config, not sure if they share the same config within these different versions. I will delete the appdata folder to be sure.I only tried this glide-plugin then, at least Starfox seems to work with that, little bit slow but I guess OK for 600MHz and so far no graphical issues spotted, seems better than the old Emulator (had artifacts within the small "frame" around the game).

I just have to find a way to remap the C-buttons to the right Nub by the way, the default placement is pretty bad imho. I guess this is not possible right now from within the emulator?

I have no problem in general with crashes, it's beta. But it would be nice if the Emulator does not hang up my entire Pandora, it's taking long to boot and I'm very unpatient. :D

I have noticed that Glide has some (strange) issue with CC model, like inverted colors in Mario64 and crash/hang with Paper Mario (where both games work well on a Gigahertz).

I strongly suggest you change your default plugin to GLES2N64 (using {Select} in the launcher or using the Config menu), I think it's the best for a CC.

About Plugins, which you want me to port? There is already GLES2N64, Glide64mk2, Rice (with GLES2 and GLES1.1 flavour) and Arachnoid. The only one missing that I know of is Z64. I think you have anough plugins to play with.

C-buttons, you can move them around (there are some alternate placement in some earlier post, look one or 2 pages before). But you will probably not be able to put it in right nub. The SDL plugin doesn't support 2 joystick for the same player. But maybe you can try by using the "mouse" as right nub, that the only solution I can think of right now.

I have noticed that Glide has some (strange) issue with CC model, like inverted colors in Mario64 and crash/hang with Paper Mario (where both games work well on a Gigahertz).

I strongly suggest you change your default plugin to GLES2N64 (using {Select} in the launcher or using the Config menu), I think it's the best for a CC.

About Plugins, which you want me to port? There is already GLES2N64, Glide64mk2, Rice (with GLES2 and GLES1.1 flavour) and Arachnoid. The only one missing that I know of is Z64. I think you have anough plugins to play with.

C-buttons, you can move them around (there are some alternate placement in some earlier post, look one or 2 pages before). But you will probably not be able to put it in right nub. The SDL plugin doesn't support 2 joystick for the same player. But maybe you can try by using the "mouse" as right nub, that the only solution I can think of right now.
For right nub c buttons, just use this and map the right joystick to buttons: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=qjoypad-001

Hi ptitSeb,

Thanks for releasing this very good emulator. Is it possible to run the games with GLES2N64 at their native 320×240 resolution and upscale to 640x480 like in the older Mupen?

The sacrifice in graphics quality made Goldeneye faster and a lot more playable. Your version is beautiful though and for less demanding games it really shines. Thanks again!

I will look at this, as it is a very demanded feature. Not sure yet on how it worked on the 1.5 version, so that need some work.
If you get that working (with scaling to fullscreen 800x480 too) I'll definitely be downloading it again :)

Sticking with the old Mupen64 for now though.

D.

On my rebirth, I activated 1GB of swapfile and I could see noticeable improvement in terms of sound and in some cases speed.

I really doubt a swapfile would make any noticeable difference.. N64 emulation isn't really RAM intensive.. 

If you want to give it a try you can download the swapfile utility from the repo.. create a swap file on an SD card and activate it.. 

I've nituced swapping, too. After a longer play time. There might be a memory leak somewhere.

I still got problems with Paper Mario. Should it at start (not neccessarily be playable) with the default configuration (e.g. after deleting/renaming appdata/mupen64plusv2)?

I don't know what issue you have with Paper Mario but it plays fine on my Rebirth (again with swapfile).  Speedwise - fine, soundwise - a little stuttering.  I use Rice Gles 2 and Notaz audio.

Edit:  Also forgot to mention that my Rebrith is overclocked to 1025MHz (or 1.025GHz) :)

I will look at this, as it is a very demanded feature. Not sure yet on how it worked on the 1.5 version, so that need some work.
I think it was hardware scaled using the framebuffer:

Browsing through the SVN of the previous version the framebuffer seems to be handled in the OpenGL.cpp source file:

https://code.google.com/p/gles2n64/source/browse/trunk/OpenGL.cpp

The framebuffer enable=1 setting in gles2n64.conf does not work in the latest version.

However, if GLES2N64 is done through SDL then Notaz's SDL with OMAP hardware support may be able to scale it if you can get it to output the native resolution:

http://notaz.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=sdl_omap.git;a=blob;f=README.OMAP

Thank you.

I really doubt a swapfile would make any noticeable difference.. N64 emulation isn't really RAM intensive.. 

If you want to give it a try you can download the swapfile utility from the repo.. create a swap file on an SD card and activate it.. 
Well, I'm not inclined to try it if if would not REALLY make much difference.

I was just curious as to what a swapfile was.

Seriously, when I'm done testing games for MuPen it is likely going off my Desktop and into menu...since I don't normally emulate systems like that very often, I tend towards older-school stuff.  But there's some cool stuff there and it's fun to play with once in a while.

I think it was hardware scaled using the framebuffer:

Browsing through the SVN of the previous version the framebuffer seems to be handled in the OpenGL.cpp source file:

https://code.google.com/p/gles2n64/source/browse/trunk/OpenGL.cpp

The framebuffer enable=1 setting in gles2n64.conf does not work in the latest version.

However, if GLES2N64 is done through SDL then Notaz's SDL with OMAP hardware support may be able to scale it if you can get it to output the native resolution:

http://notaz.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=sdl_omap.git;a=blob;f=README.OMAP

Thank you.
Hum, thanks, but I already have this on my Pandora for reference.

And Notaz' SDL doesn't work for GLES.

Don't worry, I'll work on that soon.

I was sure this was default mapped to the right nub before, in the old Mupen afaik. But didn't used it for a long time. I also will use the other gfx plugin you recommended. It seems that the differences between classic and 1GHz Pandoras are getting more serious when it comes to such stuff, see drivers, performance etc...At least I can OC my Pandora to 800MHz, helps a little bit.

Hum.

So I spent some time on that framebuffer business. I'm sorry but I can't make it work. All the code is present, but the framebuffer picture that is blited at the end is just black. Maybe it's EGL context that is not compatible? That's very odd.

Despite the fact I'm not confident it will help framerate, I don't see how to make it work (if you want to help, don't point me to some random internet source talking about framebuffer and so on, put some code that work here, that will help me).

So, don't hold your breath on the framebuffer setting for gles2n64.

I have the stretched code for gles2n64, so I'll do an update with that on next build.

Back