[Multichoice poll] What colour should the Pyra's case be?

Which hues whould you be happy with?

• No hue (black/grey/white)

Votes: 180 78.3%
  • Red

Votes: 76 33.0%
  • Orange

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • Yellow

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Spring green

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • Green

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Sea green

Votes: 28 12.2%
  • Cyan (sky blue)

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Pandora blue

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • Blue (Deep blue)

Votes: 77 33.5%
  • Purple

Votes: 43 18.7%
  • Magenta

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Pinkish red

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Octarine

Votes: 29 12.6%

• Total voters

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
Bearing in mind that Pyra branding uses a darkish red colour, and something like bright pink would probably put a lot of potential customers off, what colour would you like the Pyra to be?

Select all options that you would be happy with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of each? Do you mean ,for example, like a matte outside and a glossy inside?

You can't choose the color on paper like that. Depending on the material, the tone, the pigments, a "deep blue" could have tons of different looks. I'd rather have a choice with actual colors chosen here, (like Pantone xxx) or RGB values.

Some of each? Do you mean ,for example, like a matte outside and a glossy inside?
Maybe matte with gloss logo - or gloss lid and a matte base - that sort of thing...

You can't choose the color on paper like that. Depending on the material, the tone, the pigments, a "deep blue" could have tons of different looks. I'd rather have a choice with actual colors chosen here, (like Pantone xxx) or RGB values.
Yep. That's why I'm not being too specific.

You couldn't choose which shade of dark blue without seeing a set of samples from the plastics manufacturer in real life.

You can, however, choose between black and magenta.

I'd like a single or two tone device, I think a touch of gloss could work too, like all matte with gloss logo and front section around the SD cards and volume wheel

*Clears throat* I am still hoping for some sort of metal casing :D

*Clears throat* I am still hoping for some sort of metal casing :D
Get a CNC mill and a block of aluminium...I'm pretty sure I might try to have my CNC upgraded to mill aluminium by then. On the other hand my CNC mill has so far been a very slow project, I might need to hurry up for that.

That sounds like a rather expensive project, I'm a college student >.<

That sounds like a rather expensive project, I'm a college student >.<
Me too. ;-) (although I'm not quite aware of all the different school systems around the world and so aren't quite sure how old that makes you)Yes, it is rather expensive. Good my other hobbies aren't.

Edit: $1000 get you pretty far. I haven't spent that much yet. And it's usually pretty possible to get that amount of money as a student - how else do you afford a good smart phone or something like the Pyra?

As it is now, the Pyra is going to be as plain as possible. :lol:

I feel excluded, no sperate "black" option :mellow:

But why on earth would someone want glossy ??? A fingerprint magnet that unnecessarily reflects its sourrounding (which is already bad if the device just sits in a room, but is horrible if you are on the go and have variing light sources) that lets the device always looks like they manufacturer wanted it to look "special" but was either to niggard to make it really happen or simply did not have the money to do so. :blink:

Black is not a colour.  We need a second 'What non-colour should the Pyra's case be' poll now!

I also don't agree with glossy being good, but many modern devices do come in black and glossy, which is the worst combination for showing fingerprints IMO, but also the current style, cos it looks good on TV adverts and internet sites I guess.

I voted for matte or a mix, but I honestly can't see now where we could have glossy with no downsides.  I initially thought surrounding the screen might be okay, as it's not somewhere you put your fingers, but you're right reflections of light sources would cancel out any advantages we had if we had a matte screen.

That said, I don't see the advantage of a matte screen if it's so dim you can't really use it outdoors on a cloudy day like the one on my Gigapandora.

Bit of gloss trim is ok I think, like around the action buttons and perhaps the dpad too, like this:

Shocks.jpg

Adds a bit of texture to it, also makes the matte stand out if there's some non-matte around.

The gloss around the screen could be annoying though like you say, wouldn't want it catching external light sources really

Back