Movies Thread

Javacat said:
TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!

twas teh greatness.

Are you mad?

Anyway I saw Strawdogs yesterday. That is one helluva film!

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
lubidog said:
Javacat said:
TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!

twas teh greatness.

Are you mad?

Anyway I saw Strawdogs yesterday. That is one helluva film!

Dustin is a phenomenal actor :D

And Susan George is beautiful in it......

The robot fighting in Transformers was awesome, I must admit. I don't think it could salvage the rest of the movie, though. They should have edited out all the stupid dialogue, shitty plot development, and bad acting and instead started the movie with Megatron standing in the middle of an arena full of people. He would then call them all rednecks and pieces of trash, and then Optimus Prime could storm out to this music with a 40-foot American flag draped over his shoulders and kicked some robot ass for the next two hours. It would have been a better movie and insulted my intelligence a lot less.

But I've ranted about that movie so much now, I'm happy to just forget about it and enjoy the IDW Transformer comics. They're everything the movie wasn't, and I'm of the opinion that Simon Furman is the greatest thing to have happened to the Transformers.

I have some updates :)

Chalk - Good
Vacancy - Good fun
Death Proof - Shit
The Lookout - Good
This is England - OK, better off seeing Made in Britain.

sam fisher said:
I watched Tron again last night, it's hilarious how much they got wrong

"I'm RAM"

"What do you do?"

"I'm an Actuarial program"
you sure that thats Tron sounds more like Die hard 4.0

I watched the cube films at the weekend. i cant find any info about cube 4:trespassed though.

sam fisher said:

"I'm RAM"

"What do you do?"

It's hillarious how funny your observations aren't.

Nova said:
sam fisher said:

"I'm RAM"

"What do you do?"

It's hillarious how funny your observations aren't.

It's hilarious how funny your observations of my observations aren't.

It's also hilarious how you cannot spell hilarious correctly.

nickspoon said:
lubidog said:
Ooh, Spirited Away is a great film!
It was a very good film, but odd all the same. I suppose that's part of its charm.

Yes, but its the most normal of the Studio Ghibli films! Try Howl's moving Castle, or My Neighbour Totoro!

I loved spirited away, and studio ghibli in general. Reminds me, I should get some on DVD, is there a Ghibli collection, or something?

Nova said:
I loved spirited away, and studio ghibli in general. Reminds me, I should get some on DVD, is there a Ghibli collection, or something?
HMV are flogging them for a fiver

lubidog said:
Yes, but its the most normal of the Studio Ghibli films! Try Howl's moving Castle, or My Neighbour Totoro!
Best one of the Studio Ghibli movies I saw was Nausicäa and the valley of wind, although Princess Mononoke was pretty good too. :)

Also, best movie I've seen this year is Children of Men. Most new movies didn't leave a lasting impression on me, although Hannibal Rising wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

For me, Princess Mononoke is by far the best Studio Ghibli film I have seen. Spirited Away is good but I prefer Princess Mononoke. I like Laputa: Castle in the Sky. If you listen to some of the scores from that, you can see the grounding for the music for Spirited Away. I think the thing that makes the Studio Ghibli movies so good is Miyazaki's ability to create these abstract realities and chracters that can not only sit well with a child's imagination but also an adults. It takes something special in an animated movie to keep your attention the whole way through and besides the Studio Ghibli films and Belleville Rendezvouz, the aminations churned out by Disney/Pixar just pale in comparison.

Haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle myself yet. I saw it for £5 in HMV so I'm gonna go and get it with Laputa after I've gotten hold of Halo 3 on wednesday (thats if I can get a copy in a store. I didnt preorder but fingers crossed somewhere will have one copy left)

Just watched Slither. I don't know what to say about it really. It's not a bad film, but it's certainly not amazing and yet it's also not 'average'. It kept me entertained for however long it was on for, although it took a little too long to build up the main plot line and then that didn't last long enough.

Back