The Movie Thread

I watched Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva this evening, with some folks who had previous experience of the games to some degree, as well as some folks who hadn't. We all loved it - it's very good indeed, and the way they worked the game's trademark puzzling into the proceedings was done quite well.

The English dub (which is currently only available in the UK - it was released today and Amazon UK shipped my copy such that it arrived with me this morning) retains all of the actors from the games (which I gather the Japanese version of the movie also does), which was a very good move, because going with anyone else would have easily halved its charm.

Well worth a watch.
Watched that myself a couple of days ago too. I've never seen the games before but I still enjoyed it and got a good idea of what the games would be like. Quite interesting type of game and it's just a shame that I can't get my hands on a DS and a copy of them to try :)

EDIT: I watched Mighty Joe Young last night and Shakespear In Love, just because I found them on VHS and they were brand new and still wrapped in plastic :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the local theater over the weekend. It was pretty crazy.

bit of a gravedig i know...

i never knew this guy had such a cult following until i joined this community. i knew he was a great character with some amazing friends, but wow... New Movie

I just wanted to highly recommend the anime movie Summer Wars to everyone. I watched it a few nights ago with a group of relatives, and it's well-deserving of the awards that it's won.

It's a romantic comedy/action movie, set in a near-future Japan (circa 2056), where the internet and other sorts of connectivity are even more prevalent in modern life than they are today. A mathematics genius is asked by a schoolfriend to pose as her fiance for her summer reunion with her family (but he doesn't know that until he gets there!), and said mathematics genius ends up inadvertently helping a nefarious personified botnet to crack into a group of accounts (represented by self-designed avatar "creatures" of all shapes and sizes) in the all-encompassing virtual world of Oz. The film ends up centring on what happens when a that personified botnet causes havoc in the internet world which then has a direct impact on the real world as a result, and what happens when this, and the botnet's author, clashes with a close family with traditional values.

If you're a fan of the likes of Tron, MegaMan Battle Network, and the flavours of traditional Japan, you're very likely to love this movie.

It's absolutely brilliant, and I highly recommend it. We watched the dubbed version, which is pretty true to the original Japanese-language version - I've included the English-language trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UbmdYasVDDg?feature=oembed

Mystery Science Theater 3000... a whole lot of it.. into season 3 now... .... so very much of it...

I just wanted to highly recommend the anime movie Summer Wars to everyone. I watched it a few nights ago with a group of relatives, and it's well-deserving of the awards that it's won.

[…]

Thanks, I was looking for an animé that my girlfriend and I would both enjoy the next time we'll be together
smile.gif

^ You'll love it. It's seriously very, very good. Until I saw it, I didn't think that you could combine romantic-comedy with science-fiction, and a good old-fashioned all-ages-friendly (and by that I mean both young and old) action-type animated movie, but clearly you very much can. :lol:

Back