Movies Thread

I've finally been to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie!!! I thought it was pretty good. I stayed right up until the end of the credits to see the little end clip :eek:

Bring on the forth one!!!!!

Not a movie but, for the past week or so I've been watching the first season of Dexter. I wasn't too impressed with the first episode, but as I saw more episodes I enjoyed it more and more. It sort of reminds me slightly of a cross between Death Note and Adrian Mole.
There were only 12 episodes in the first season. A new season should be starting soon which will hopefully have a lot more episodes in it. The first season was based on the first book in a series, but the next season will be a completely new story. This'll mean that it will either completely pwn the first season and be amazing, or it will be crap.

The Simpsons Movie was pretty funny. And slightly shocking (well, at least unexpected)

TelcoLou said:
The Simpsons Movie was pretty funny. And slightly shocking (well, at least unexpected)
Yes, I agree. I had a free ticket to see it, so I was going to go no matter what. I went into it with pretty low expectations based on the mediocre-at-best commercials and trailer. Honestly, nothing I saw prior to the film made me laugh. I expected some cheap kiddie jokes, but I was pleasantly surprised. There was some adult humor in there too, it turned out.

On a side note, when otto was smoking the bong, I was laughing hysterically while the rest of my stuck up theater probably covered their kids' eyes. Hick assholes <_<

What really lowered the final product for me, was that they really made some of the characters say things they would never say in the 18 or so years the show's been around. For instance:

Rod: I wish Simpson was my father
Flanders: I wish you didn't have the Devil's curly red hair!

Come on, Rod would never say that, and Flander would ABSOLUTELY never say that. I feel like they tried to shove in a few pressured laughs when they shouldn't have. It was good over all, though.

Chuck and Larry was UNBELIEVABLY HYSTERICAL. PLLLLLLLLLLEASE go see that, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, man, Otto was in the movie? I love that guy! Was it the old voice, or the new one? I remember I was quite surprised when I heard Otto's new voice in one of the newer episodes. :(

Javacat said:
Not a movie but, for the past week or so I've been watching the first season of Dexter. I wasn't too impressed with the first episode, but as I saw more episodes I enjoyed it more and more. It sort of reminds me slightly of a cross between Death Note and Adrian Mole.
There were only 12 episodes in the first season. A new season should be starting soon which will hopefully have a lot more episodes in it. The first season was based on the first book in a series, but the next season will be a completely new story. This'll mean that it will either completely pwn the first season and be amazing, or it will be crap.
Yeah, Dexter was fucking awesome. I'm looking forward to the new season, which I'll probably have to get off the internets because Showtime isn't available in Canada.

The first season apparently deviated from the books a bit anyway, so a whole new story isn't too big a jump.

Also, I've heard mixed things about The Simpsons so far. I'm cautiously optimistic.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
On a side note, when otto was smoking the bong, I was laughing hysterically while the rest of my stuck up theater probably covered their kids' eyes. Hick assholes <_<
... well, I didn't want to reveal any spoilers, but since you started:

OMG, Bart's Penis!!

:lol:

I saw a few pretty good movies lately.

First off was Six String Samurai, which was ok, but not great like I'd hoped.
Then Wild Zero, which was fucking awesome. (Japanese rock n roll zombie movie starring Guitar Wolf)
Next was The Simpsons, which was better than I'd expected but still not as good as the classic seasons.
Last night I watched TMNT (which was really good) and The Warriors Ultimate Director's Cut (classic, but the new comic book style transitions I could have done without).
And tonight I just finished Election, an excellent Chinese gangster movie (subtitled).

I recommend all of the above to varying degrees.

I watched "Dude, Where's My Car?" last night for the first time. It's a bit silly, but still pretty cool. I've thought it before, but all I can say is that Seann William Scott has the best job ever.

TMNT - Shit.
The Bourne Ultimatum - Shit.
London to Brighton - OK.
Sicko - Good.
The Departed - OKish.
Disturbia - Shit. (Really shit).
Dexter Series 1 - OK.
Dexter Series 2 (ep 1 and 2) - Looks good, better long plot by the looks of it.
Tomb of the Cyberman - Good.
Zodiac - Shit. Very long.
Notes on a scandal - OK.

Ah, just remembered another, The Simpsons - Shit.

And thus ends my short reviews.

I agree with Craigix. I saw the Simpsons and thought it was absolutely terrible. I personally hate the TV show but the movie was worse than the TV show. Glad I didn't have to pay to watch it.

Watched "Jean de Florette" last night and the sequel, "Manon des Sources", earlier tonight. I saw them a few years ago and was bored, so decided to stick them on again. They are pretty cool, although they aren't exactly action filled. Definatly worth watching if you've got nothing better to do. There is a bit of perving to be had in "Manon des Sources" and there is an unexpected twist at the end of it which is quite sad.

Also watched the original "The Ladykillers" last night. The story is quite different to the remake, although there are also a few similarities. Tis a funny movie.

The Lady Killers is strange, because the original is brilliant, and the sequel is pretty good as well!

Anyway the new Bourne Film is not shit, it is fantastic. One of the best action films I've seen in a long time.

Back