The Movie Thread

I can truly recommend these three brilliant documentaries:

The Dungeon Masters - a movie about people who are obsessed with role playing games. The movie is just full of heart and is both fascinating and moving.

Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade - this instead is about people obsessed with old arcade games. Really interesting and fun watch. And keep watching until the end of the credits...

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - This must be the most famous of the three movies and probably you've seen this one. If not it is more drama than Chasing Ghosts but otherwise about the same subject. More specific it is about two players trying to beat the world record in the arcade game donkey kong. The director has chosen to edit the movie in such a way to maximise the drama, but this also made the movie less truthfull. So watch this movie as more of a drama then a documentary and I'll think you'll enjoy it greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 movies I really liked recently are "de helaasheid der dingen" (the sadness of stuff) and "Yo tambien!" (Me too) The first is about a boy who grows up in a belgian asocial family, it really fun they portrayed an asocial family pretty well :D The second is a spanish movie about guy with down syndrome (and despite his handicap has finished university) that falls in love with a "healty" woman. And about sexuality and down syndrome in general. Both are excellent movies.

De Helaasheid der dingen.

ba65367c-ec59-44a2-a214-5ceed28fc713_Helaasheid%20der%20dingen%20605-250.jpg

Yo Tambien!

yotambien1.jpg

And now for something completely different:

Tonight I am going to watch Machete!

machete-movie-poster.jpg

edit: haha machete was soooo much fun :)

Princess Bride (inconceivable indeed), Wargames, Ferris, Astro Boy (pretty good if like me, you aren't familiar with the anime. So let me know a critics opinion), Animal House (I revisited the Revenge of Nerds series, Party Animal and am seeking 'Up the Creek' for that style of film recently) all great titles!

I'll post what I've watched lately shortly but I had a search about and re-found this device for VHS to DVD transfer that is very affordable, highly recommended and I beleive will also allow for game 'speed run' type captures aswell with any console. Cheap too http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm :)

Currently watching 'Blood In, Blood Out' a 3hr mammoth of 'La Rasa meets OZ'.
AstroBoy is a good film IMO. Yes I know it's been redone in the usual Hollywood style but it works and my 3 year old nephew loves the big robots :D

That Dazzle thing looks pretty interesting Mario but I think the next one up would be worth the extra money. Shame they don't seem to have a video showing how it works though :(

p.s Just bought Fifth Element and The Sixth Sense (Special Edition) on VHS. Both brand spanking new too B)

Just watched "Knowing" - TBH I wasn't expecting much!!

But I really enjoyed it. Recommended if you like disaster movies, mixed with a bit of sci-fi/X-Files :)

Gonna watch The Invention of Lying tomorrow - any good?

I just watched "Next" starring Nicholas Cage. I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually quite good. Enjoyable viewing.

^^^^ Last Man Standing was based on A Fistful of Dollars, which was AMAZING, and based on Yojimbo.

Just finally saw Micro Men. I'm very much an American, but the ending sequence still brought a tear to my ear. I mean, it seems like such a downer, but the only reason a movie like that was made is because kids of that era, now adults, had such a vivid experience of those computers, and care so much about them!

Everyone who is at all interested in the Pandora should watch it.

Speaking of independent films, despite it's name, Good Dick is a really great err... Unconventional love story that I would recommend to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BH8TdstZDV4?feature=oembed :(

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. I couldn't understand most of the dialogue, but it was still an awesome movie.

I like to buy my movies used, so I can see some good stuff without breaking the bank. I saw Batman Begins recently, as well as Inglourious Basterds and Couples Retreat (idk, I like it). I need to set aside some time to rewatch Gamer and finish the Riddick trilogy.

Just watched "Knowing" - TBH I wasn't expecting much!!

But I really enjoyed it. Recommended if you like disaster movies, mixed with a bit of sci-fi/X-Files :)

Gonna watch The Invention of Lying tomorrow - any good?
I watched Knowing last night and it was very good. Only downside was the fairly predictable ending, but the rest of it was spot on.

Next was good too, I rented it twice by mistake and it even stands up to a second viewing within a couple of months.

I'm going to get Machete on the strength of that poster :p

Edit: I also highly recommend Micro Men.

I've just recently finished watching In Bruges which is an extremely good independent film about two hitmen. Speaking of independent films, despite it's name, Good Dick is a really great err... Unconventional love story that I would recommend to anyone.
Just watched Good Dick, not at all what I was expecting from the title! A really interesting character driven film involving a psychological problem that doesn't get a lot of exposure. It's not too heavy though, and will make you chuckle in places. I would probably describe it as an anti-rom-com.

Well worth a watch, thanks.

Dude... :mellow:

NEXT is a good film I agree, for a Cage, it's surprisingly good...... And he don't keep banging on about "got to get ta ma daughters birthdaaay partay" haha

Micromen, as in the English docu about Sinclare?

That was quality I see it few month back

machette looks good

The Other Guys isn't bad, ferrel is the man

Watch a docu called Dark Dayz.

It's out there on d/l and cheap on DVD these days.

It's very interesting, about the freedom tunnel, one of my fav docus I would say.

NEXT is a good film I agree, for a Cage, it's surprisingly good...... And he don't keep banging on about "got to get ta ma daughters birthdaaay partay" haha
It's one of those films where the way he seems to sound perpetually bored (or melancholy, in the case of Astro Boy, in which he was also very good) ends up working really well. :lol:

Watched two movies tonight. First up was The Boat That Rocked. Words cannot express just how much I loved this. It's set in the 60's and is about a pirate radio station, Radio Rock, broadcasting from a boat in the North Sea. It's fictional, but is based on a real station of the time called Radio Caroline.

This is the era when rock exploded, but the only station available was the BBC, which played just two hours of recorded music per week. Then this station starts playing rock and pop 24/7, attracting millions of listeners and angering the stuffy British government, who try to shut it down.

It's so, so funny and full of great characters. I enjoyed every minute of it :D

The second film was Friday The 13th (the original). I've recently been catching up on classic movies that I've never got around to watching for whatever reason, and this is one of them.

I'm sure I must be the only person that hadn't seen it so I won't bother explaining what it's about. I'll just say I enjoyed it, but was a little surprised that Jason wasn't really in it. I look forward to Part 2 when I assume he'll be making a full debut (don't tell me :p )

I watched Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva this evening, with some folks who had previous experience of the games to some degree, as well as some folks who hadn't. We all loved it - it's very good indeed, and the way they worked the game's trademark puzzling into the proceedings was done quite well.

The English dub (which is currently only available in the UK - it was released today and Amazon UK shipped my copy such that it arrived with me this morning) retains all of the actors from the games (which I gather the Japanese version of the movie also does), which was a very good move, because going with anyone else would have easily halved its charm.

Well worth a watch.

Huh, I havent heard of a professor Layton movie, I loved the games :p

A movie I watched recently is called The Human Centipede, it is a very gory disgusting move in which there are 3 people sown together via the gastric system, and well.. have to survive. I'd recommend this movie wto anyone who thinks their up for it :p

Back