Movies Thread

Ganepark32 said:
For me, Princess Mononoke is by far the best Studio Ghibli film I have seen. Spirited Away is good but I prefer Princess Mononoke. I like Laputa: Castle in the Sky. If you listen to some of the scores from that, you can see the grounding for the music for Spirited Away. I think the thing that makes the Studio Ghibli movies so good is Miyazaki's ability to create these abstract realities and chracters that can not only sit well with a child's imagination but also an adults. It takes something special in an animated movie to keep your attention the whole way through and besides the Studio Ghibli films and Belleville Rendezvouz, the aminations churned out by Disney/Pixar just pale in comparison.

Haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle myself yet. I saw it for £5 in HMV so I'm gonna go and get it with Laputa after I've gotten hold of Halo 3 on wednesday (thats if I can get a copy in a store. I didnt preorder but fingers crossed somewhere will have one copy left)

I agree very much! But Howls Moving castle is one of the very best too so pick it up! Some of the imagery used is incredible!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, seen loads of movies since I last posted. Here's a quick run through of some of them:

Stardust - Pretty good. Somewhat overrated and that tosser from The Office (UK) appears in it, but still reasonable.
American Gangster - Really enjoyed it. Meant to be based on a true story but it's been glamorised quite a bit and the start is lies.
Rescue Dawn - Decent film. Meant to be based on a true story, but no one that it is actually about was approached during the making of it (and some of them approached the company making it to help make it accurate, but were turned away).
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - VERY slow and too long. The settings and stuff all look great though.

Also, if you've not seen it already you should check out an American TV series called Chuck. It's pure pwnage. It's as if it could be about one of us on this forum.
Started watching the first season of Supernatural as well, which is pretty cool.

Before the Jesse James movie there was a trailer for all of you depposexuals out there. Twas for Sweeney Todd. Looks really cool. Going to go see it whether it's meant to be crap or not :p

Yeh, I've seen that Sweeney todd trailer. A friend of mine in America sent me it over Myspace and i have to say, it does look good. But then i hate Johnny Depp so it may well be terrible. I'm hopeful.

watched die hard 4.0 on saturday was ok the special effects were good and the violence was good too but the technology the boasted was far to unrealistic but still a fun watch

Javacat said:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - VERY slow and too long. The settings and stuff all look great though.
A lot of it was filmed at Fort Edmonton Park, which is a pretty neat historical re-creation of the fur trading fort that the city was started as, as well as various other historical buildings from various times in Edmonton's history. It's a shame the movie's not all that good, though.

Sphinxter said:
Saw, "Next", the other night, totally raging from start to finish, want to see it again.
saw that last night its a good film but ends abruptly the people i watched it with didnt like the film at all but i thought it was good i guess its one of those films that you either love or hate

I saw No Country for Old Men two nights ago and have to say it is definitely one of the best movies of the year. Tommy Lee Jones was superb as always, and Javier Bardem played one of the most chilling roles I've seen in a while.
Some people have been saying that the ending is disappointing, but the Coen brothers don't spit out your typical happy-ending movie. It leaves you with plenty to think about; I know because scenes have been floating around in my mind for the past two days. It's surely not a movie for everyone--I just hope that other people can appreciate the meaning behind it.

P.S. Next sucked.

On Saturday i got stoned and watched Postal. The movies shittyness was beyond comprehension, but i still laughed my ass off at it´s obvious lack of anything that makes a movie worth watching. Seriously, what´s this Boll guy thinking? That he´s some kind of misunderstood genius?

Still, had a great time.

lol nice going Fishbong! Did the same on friday before I went to a party. Got stoned and watched the "best of Knightrider" DVD box which my flatmate owns. I do not know why they call it best of. I just can't believe that these episodes where the best they could do. Come on... a talking car and a guy with a lot of chest hair. At least make the story slightly consecutive! I seriously think people should be shot for making that show.

Yeah? You call that wild living? Well, let me tell you!!!

I saw the Golden Compass the other day! I had sweet popcorn and a mezzo mix! And the film was great! I loved the books so much! And the film was not a disappointment, like some critics said it would be! I thought it was excellent fun! Although I saw it in German, so really need to see it in English. The bloke doing the Eisbär Jorek had the coolest voice!

And now, now I'm listening to Lilly Allen. I am just rock, basically!

lubidog said:

I saw the Golden Compass the other day! I had sweet popcorn and a mezzo mix! And the film was great! I loved the books so much! And the film was not a disappointment, like some critics said it would be! I thought it was excellent fun! Although I saw it in German, so really need to see it in English. The bloke doing the Eisbär Jorek had the coolest voice!

We are not worthy...

lubidog said:
The bloke doing the Eisbär Jorek had the coolest voice!
Okay, I have waited long enough for someone to pick that up. Now it's my turn...

SOMEONE DOING AN ICEBEAR?! Holy crap I always thought stuff like that is illegal.

lubidog said:

lol, your post reminds me of that episode of seinfeld when elaine uses too many exclamation points in her writing haha :p

daclassicgamingmaster said:
lol, your post reminds me of that episode of seinfeld when elaine uses too many exclamation points in her writing haha :p
Wow, that sounds exciting. Can´t believe i never even heard about this apparently breathtaking show.

Fishbong said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
Can´t believe i never even heard about this apparently breathtaking show.

So you've never heard about a show that you heard was "breathtaking"?

;)

Back