Mame Gp2x 1.0 Ho Ho Ho !!!

Thanks Franxis!

One request,
is it possible to port the frontend by zaq121 for the gp32 to the gp2x? I really liked the way he had it setup (with the game screenshots and the customizable catagorial organization).

Thanks again,
-ben

flyinggiraffe posted on Dec 25 2005 at 08:18 PM said:
a few roms refuse to work for me, inc my fav slap fight, unless i have a dodgy rom

Slapfight should work nearly perfect with sound (you will also need the bootleg version)

Last edited by a moderator:
when i load it only one rom comes up in the launcher. i have 3 in the roms directory and they all match the .zip names in gamelist.txt (spyhunter is spyhunt.zip ,etc).

Any help

man don't let that guy get to you franx -- as you know the entire gp32/x community is and has been supportive of you and your work. and likewise i am certain that 99.9 percent of the mame dev community (which is aware of your ports) could say the same. getting mame up and running to the degree it has, on these two platforms = quite a feat and no matter what some bloated egotistical nerd (talented coder though he may be) has to say about it, obviously everyone repsects you and your team's work. which you have given to the community for FREE, might i add. no one can take that away from you.

as far as RB is concerned, i'd say mostly it's a case of his being overeager to early-adopt the new handheld (the emu community has eagerly been anticipating such a device for.. hmm, a long damn time now) and he's just whining because it's not all perfect and bug-free right out of the gate.

hmm, can't the same be said of ANY new hardware that's come out in recent memory?

That guy is an utter prick. You don't make something open source only to announce that it can't be ported to a system just because one of the coders doesn't like it. "It might hurt our reputation" is a fucking terrible excuse. I think all PC MAME builds should be banned since there are a great many computers that won't run it very well.

I want to beat him to death and shit in the mouth of his shitty corpse. Cunt.

The Mamedev guys aren't assholes, they just have a different perspective on matters. For example, they wouldn't hessitate to break a game's compatibility if it gets them closer to more accurate emulation, as they have done in the past. I doubt they'd be 100% behind a system which, let's face it, has glaring flaws at the moment that can restrict the use of MAME. To be honest, if you really disagree with what the Mamedevs stand for, you're perfectly welcome not to use it.

It's good to see Franxis dealing with things intelligently rather than going off on one like some of the people in this thread have done - that's not going to help anyone.

Well I don't think those glaring flaws has much to do with how MAME is emulated on the GP2X..

And everyone can upgrade their firmware now.. Not even an excuse anymore when a nice homebrew dev made a program to update straight from the GP2X menu..

What is up with everyone. I'm not offended by bad language. Even before I read the posts on the mame forum. I was offended by the personal attacks.

Having read the posts I'm actually horrified, Franxis who holds his own and comes across like a gentleman, more than makes any points that have to be made.

I didn't expect this not here.

how do you go back to game select once in a game? i dont like knowcking on/off im sure there must be a way...

Great emu BTW

thanks.

Willei posted on Dec 25 2005 at 10:20 PM said:
The Mamedev guys aren't assholes, they just have a different perspective on matters.  For example, they wouldn't hessitate to break a game's compatibility if it gets them closer to more accurate emulation, as they have done in the past.  I doubt they'd be 100% behind a system which, let's face it, has glaring flaws at the moment that can restrict the use of MAME.  To be honest, if you really disagree with what the Mamedevs stand for, you're perfectly welcome not to use it. 

No one has said that he has to be "100% behind it" . We are saying this guy is on some power trip thinking just because HE doesn't like something that no one should enjoy it. The universe doesn't revolve around him and on what he likes or doesn't like. He is just a selfish prick. There is nothing anywhere that says that if a platform has a few bugs that it is illegal to have MAME on it. If that were true PCs couldn't have it because windows is buggy as well. There are no rules broken here so he has no grounds to do anything other than whine like a little school girl. He is just some uber geek on a powertrip.

Hi Franixis, can you use the MMU on mame?

link

The dreamcast has only 16MB of ram, but Metal SlugX(64MB unzipped..) run nice.

Pls forgive me if this is a FAQ, but is there a list somewhere of which buttons do what, f.e. what button combo to return to the rom selection screen?

Pandakopanda posted on Dec 26 2005 at 11:22 AM said:
Pls forgive me if this is a FAQ, but is there a list somewhere of which buttons do what, f.e. what button combo to return to the rom selection screen?

Everything is in the readme file

2. CONTROLS
-----------

The emulator controls are the next ones:
- Joystick: Movement in pads (1, 2, 3 and 4), mouse and analog control.
- Buttons A,B,X,Y,L,R,VolUp,VolDown,PUSH,START: Buttons A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J.
- Button SELECT: Insert credits. (SELECT+Up=credits 2P, SELECT+Right=credits 3P, SELECT+Down=credits 4P)
- Button L+R: Change screen orientation and activate/deactivate screen scale/stretch.
- Button L+R pressed during one second: Pause.
- Button START: Play. (START+Up=Start 2P, START+Right=Start 3P, START+Down=Start 4P)
- Buttons L+R+PUSH simultaneously: Exit to selection menu to select another game.
- Buttons START+SELECT simultaneously: Reset the current game.
- Buttons VolUp and VolDown: Increase / decrease sound volume.

suj posted on Dec 26 2005 at 12:24 PM said:
Pandakopanda posted on Dec 26 2005 at 11:22 AM said:
Everything is in the readme file
Thanks... I totally missed the readme file, thought everything was in the mamegp2x dir... *shame*

btw, 1942 works f*cking awesome (only game I tried yet), thanks Franxis!

Works great!! Thanks Franxis! :) :)

I don't understand the complains of this Belmont guy on the MAME forum - I had exactly zero problems getting it to run on my GP2X... Maybe he has a faulty unit ;)

Shame on you DaveC, sort it out

bzfrank posted on Dec 26 2005 at 01:04 PM said:
Works great!! Thanks Franxis! :) :)

I don't understand the complains of this Belmont guy on the MAME forum - I had exactly zero problems getting it to run on my GP2X... Maybe he has a faulty unit ;)

He describes 3 problems(remember he is using *nix *BSD)
1) Can't upgrade firmware(and has a sandisk card)
2) Crashing emulators with no recovery
3) USB problems

Firmware has been impossible for me to update from linux until a couple of days ago, my new update went really smoothly, because of the new updater.

Emulators are in there early stages. In reality DrMD is the main player(and a good one BTW). In fact for me. The homebrew has really surprised me, as have the visual novels, emulators will improve in time.

USB is only 1.1 currently, and on linux times out, unless you remove the EHCI Host Controller as a module.

I suspect as time goes on his love for the GP2X will increase, although I suspect anyone telling him this will not improve the situation.

MAME will never look great on the GP2X not becuase of the GP2X but becuase of MAME. MAME is slow, very very slow. Its not designed for a low power(compared with a desktop PC). Its designed for accuracy not fun. Will an old version that is fast enough conribute anything new to the MAME project, not a chance. So doesn't look good or contribute anything, and they have made it quite clear they don't like different versions anyway.

The talk of platforms and anything else is just a noncence, and everyone is resonable knows this. Its a mix of issues, that can/will be resolved, although again personal attacks like I have seen are not just wrong but a bit silly.

I see no reason to antagonize someone with (currently)ligitemate concerns discussing a possibly(probably) unsuitable program on the GP2X becuase if people are expecting *good* arcade emulation on the GP2X its not going to happen with MAME, and its going to MAME or the GP2X fault, the reality is its MAME's.

If only Raine wasn't x86 :(

Mevi posted on Dec 25 2005 at 04:33 PM said:
Can he actually stop the gp2x mame?

Yes they could stop it... R.Belmont and Haze are coordinators of entire MAME project. We will see what happens...

Regards.

Haze and RB are MAME developpers, period.
I don't see any reason not to accept it, you have released source code and are MAME license compliant...

I suggest Franxis contacting Aaron Giles - current MAME coordinator (via www.mamedev.com) for using MAME trademark, just to be sure.

Looks promising, didn't test the emu deeply though.

franxis got thumbs up from mame for mame gp 32.... so why should gp2x should change anything ... ??????????????????

Back