Mame Gp2x 1.1

Bubble Bobble works on mine, could be your rom I think there were some encrypted versions out there.

Puzzle Bobble works as well, when I tried it under 1.0 it had no sound though.

Riight. Bubbole Bobble was quite a pain during that moment. It's encryption was really problem so the old mame can only play bubble bobble clone(decrypted), bobble bobble

Reesy posted on Dec 28 2005 at 08:31 PM said:
Very nice job, very enjoyable experience now with the crystal clear sound. Thanks for all your hard work.

thanks...

also enjoyable thanks to drz80 core and cyclone fixes...

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
This the best MAME has sounded on a GP32/GP2X. All of the stuttering and popping is gone :)

Now all we need is the ability to use the volume buttons so vertical games such as Galaga, Donkey kong are playable without cramping and having to be a contortionist. You used the "start" button on the Gp32 that made vertical games so much more playable.

Great work!

DaveC posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:32 AM said:
Now all we need is the ability to use the volume buttons so vertical games such as Galaga, Donkey kong are playable without cramping and having to be a contortionist.
Agreed! I'm putting some time into mastering Slap Fight, but the hand position you have to use in vertical mode is enough to give a man cramp, right there. I'm not sure how good the volume buttons would be for this kind of thing, but it's got to be an improvement!

Anyone else been able to get Star Wars working... unable to to open the ROMS on mine...

Willei posted on Dec 29 2005 at 02:57 AM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:32 AM said:
Now all we need is the ability to use the volume buttons so vertical games such as Galaga, Donkey kong are playable without cramping and having to be a contortionist.
Agreed! I'm putting some time into mastering Slap Fight, but the hand position you have to use in vertical mode is enough to give a man cramp, right there. I'm not sure how good the volume buttons would be for this kind of thing, but it's got to be an improvement!

Yeah it was better on the Gp32 using the start button. Using the "-" on the volume would work wonders for many games. I tried to play some vertical games with the current config and it was way too awkward. The controls would be nice if that when horizontal the volume is just volume. But when you flip to vertical the volume would automatically change to action buttons. When you flip back horizontal the volume button goes back to adjusting the volume again automatically. Simple and clean :)

I agree with DaveC regarding the audio on this release its waaay better, the best ive heard yet. After overclocking to 266 and firing up Strider it was just a dream to play. Once using both processors is figured out i can see mame just continuing to expand, the future looks rosy! Well done indeed Franxis :) Donation Pending!

I donated to Franxis, great release and it's awesome how well it plays the older games.

suj posted on Dec 29 2005 at 12:05 AM said:
grahf posted on Dec 28 2005 at 10:53 PM said:
Has anyone tried Knights of the Round? Im still at work damn it! :)
tried it, all I get is a black screen, sound is running in background though.

King of Dragons freezes after 1st level
Knights of the Round is not all black, very few sprites are showed.

Using the compat .gpe, King of Dragons freezes after 1st level and display an error message: "Illegal inst 000E4EB8H".

Also, Golden Axe freese after player selection with normal et drz80 .gpe, but play fine (except for speed and sound quality) with the compat .gpe.

Maybe im missing saomething here but do you have to select different .gpe exucutables to run different games then? Cause ive just been selecting mame_gp2x.gpe.

Do selecting the other two files ( ie: compat and drz80) make a difference in speed to some games? If so how do you know which games run better with which?

Cheers

Stepp

Compart files use C based cpu emus which are near perfect, but they are slow, its a way to test if the game actually works or not for sure.

Eventually if cyclone and dr.z80 are updated they won't be needed anymore.

Alrighty then ... I've had a chance to look this over and have some questions/comments.

1) Thank you!
2) Volume ... it 'wraps' ... if you keep turning it down, eventually it returns to 100%. Scared the crap out of someone sitting next to me! :) Is it possible to make this an option?
3) Robotron, Black Widow, Cloak & Dagger - the buttons have issues ... right is down and down is right ... makes a great handicap for playing the games, but gets frustrating. I see no CFG folder so I'm not sure I can change this on my own. Did I miss something in the docs?
4) Is there sample support? I didn't see anything about it - and Donkey Kong and Star Trek just aren't the same games without the samples working (Bosco too :). If its not there, is it planned?
5) Mr. Do (Universal set) has some graphic glitches (looks like a dirty rect issue). Is this a corrupted romset or is everyone having problems?
6) Something seems weird when you overclock and try to use MAME. Its like it runs TOO fast ... I haven't experimented too much, but figured I'd bring it up.

Thanks a BUNCH for this ... I've been walking around with hard nipples since I got Mr. Do even partially running.

2) Volume ... it 'wraps' ... if you keep turning it down, eventually it returns to 100%. Scared the crap out of someone sitting next to me! :) Is it possible to make this an option?

Hmm, I found that too. It made me want an analogue volume control wheel on my gp2x! In the absence of that, some master volume limiter would be handy, perhaps another option on the pre-game menu.

Still, it's early days, and it's superb work. LOTS of games work fantastically. Bubble Bobble (or rather Bobble Bobble in this case) is worth the effort on its own. The rotation/scaling toggle is effortless and great, although I can't get it to squish Galaga or many other games to non-sideways mode without eating the top and bottom of the screen. Nature of the beast, I suppose...

Also, with the gp2x's diagonals, Kung-Fu Master is nearly impossible. Eep.

Joy, nonetheless.

Alrighty then ... I've had a chance to look this over and have some questions/comments.

4) Is there sample support?  I didn't see anything about it - and Donkey Kong and Star Trek just aren't the same games without the samples working (Bosco too :).  If its not there, is it planned?

5) Mr. Do (Universal set) has some graphic glitches (looks like a dirty rect issue).  Is this a corrupted romset or is everyone having problems?
6) Something seems weird when you overclock and try to use MAME.  Its like it runs TOO fast ... I haven't experimented too much, but figured I'd bring it up.

Thanks a BUNCH for this ... I've been walking around with hard nipples since I got Mr. Do even partially running.

No samples. I have asked about that since MAME was released on the GP32 a while ago. Unfortunately Franxis said that he has no interest in adding them :( To me a game is unplayable without sound so I just don't bother with the silent games.

Yeah the buttons are messed up in missile command too. The buttons don't relate to the missile silos in any kind of logical way. Hopefully someday we may get a way to assign buttons like we want and have it saved for each game.

You must be using the DRZ80 version for MrDO!. Use the non Dr Z80 version it works perfect at FS0. DrZ80 doesn't work with some games (Pac-man too). You don't need DrZ80 for those games anyway they are fast without them.

Most classics don't need overclocking.

The rotation/scaling toggle is effortless and great, although I can't get it to squish Galaga or many other games to non-sideways mode without eating the top and bottom of the screen. Nature of the beast, I suppose...

Joy, nonetheless.

Squishing would look awful anyway. So much information would be lost that it would look ugly and your shots and the shots from the other ships would dissappear at times.

Just play vertical for those. Yes it is awkward I admit, but hopefully Franxis will put in an option to use the "-" on the volume for fire. Then it would be like playing a Gameboy, much better.

No samples. I have asked about that since MAME was released on the GP32 a while ago. Unfortunately Franxis said that he has no interest in adding them :( To me a game is unplayable without sound so I just don't bother with the silent games.

That's almost criminal. Maybe a large donation would fix that. Remarkably enough, half or more of classic gaming for ME personally revolves around sound. This is why I don't even look at emulators until they have sound support. I don't think I'm alone either. We need sample support.

Yeah the buttons are messed up in missile command too. The buttons don't relate to the missile silos in any kind of logical way. Hopefully someday we may get a way to assign buttons like we want and have it saved for each game.

I don't even need a fancy GUI or anything .. just restore CFG files and I'll hack em myself. Yeah, Missile Command was another one that is nearly unplayable.

I'm curious why so many emulators use the A button as "primary" - is this a GP32 carry over thing? I find it a bit annoying to use the A button for primary stuff - B makes a lot more sense to me. Heck, even X would be a better choice IMHO.

You must be using the DRZ80 version for MrDO!. Use the non Dr Z80 version it works perfect at FS0. DrZ80 doesn't work with some games (Pac-man too). You don't need DrZ80 for those games anyway they are fast without them.

Dammit ... its possible I was using the Z80 version .. sigh ... I'll double check what I'm using. I usually use the Taito set anyway - the Universal set just happened to be handy.

Most classics don't need overclocking.

I dunno ... all the Williams stuff needs the horsepower. Robotron with any frameskip can prove unplayable with the sheer number of items and bullets on the screen. But you're right, many do not.

Back