Mame Gp2x 1.0 Ho Ho Ho !!!

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
24-12-2005:

Merry christmas and happy new year, ho ho ho ;-). Here it is the first public version of my MAME port for GP2X console:

Download MAME GP2X 1.0 (3.5 Mb)
Download MAME GP2X 1.0 (source code) (1.9 Mb)
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

- In this first version 904 games are supported, almost all games in MAME 0.34. There are some missing games like Ninja Gaiden, Mortal Kombat, Popeye, etc, i will try to add all games in the next version. Also all currently supported games are not playable, in example biggest Neo·Geo games are not working yet due to lack of RAM (GP2X Linux only support 32 Mb of the 64 Mb yet). I think everything will be solved in next versions, please be patient ;-)
- I recommend the use of "CPU & LCD Tuner" program to overclock the GP2X to 250 MHz to play the most modern games. I have not integrated the overclocking in the emulator yet.
- Reesy DrZ80 core has been modified by Flubba to be faster and easier to maintain.
- Software scaling / stretching based on Pepe_Faruk code. Hardware scaling / stretching not implemented yet.
- Different frontend skins done by Zenzuke, Chipan, Dokesman, Enkonsierto, Quest and Sttraping.
- Thanks to all paypal donators: gp32x.de, Federico Mazza, Nandove, Videogame Stuff, Denis Evans, Ricardo Cabello and Elías Ballesteros.

wow....looking forward to trying this :) but having trouble finding a shop to buy a GP2X in Hong Kong.
Is the gamelist.txt complete? I noticed the Neogeo games are not on there :p
Have a merry Christmas!!!
Hope I can try this soon.

Cool looks good, Thanks.

I noticed a few minor things.

One thing I noticed was the sound seemed kind of stuttery/garbled more so than the GP32 version, or maybe it is close I tested with classics. It seems to help a little to set FS to 0.

Could you also have an option to use the volume buttons for action buttons when in vertical mode? It is awkward to play those vertical games with the other buttons. Especially when the button used is "A" which forces you to reach farther in and cover part of the screen and speaker with your thumb. "X" or "B" would have been a better choice.

The way it could be done is this: When the game is rotated normal (landscape) the volume buttons act as volume like normal. As soon as the screen is rotated 90 (portrait) the volume buttons become action buttons. The Volume (-) would be used as it is easiest to hit.

If you want to change volume again simply flip the screen to landscape change volume (game is still running), then flip back to portrait. Now the volume is where you want it and you can play comfortably.

Regards and happy holidays :)

it really is amazing timing, there's a nice long weekend to enjoy this.

has anybody gotten theirs off the ground yet? I ran my 1942 through clrmamepro but it gave me some attitude about the dat file--I'm thinking that's what's gotten me messed up. I've tried compressed and uncompressed (dir)

all I get is a black screen (after opening splash screen) stating that 'no available games found' in dark green text--back to the readme for me

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 24 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
has anybody gotten theirs off the ground yet? I ran my 1942 through clrmamepro but it gave me some attitude about the dat file--I'm thinking that's what's gotten me messed up. I've tried compressed and uncompressed (dir)

1942 definitely works, and very nicely too :) its the first game i tried!
just in case it isn't a clrmamepro problem, are you using the path from root specified in the readme: /mamegp2x/roms/
and also using lowercase-only filename for your rom zipfiles?

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, I just fixed myself after completely ignoring the fact that it was path from root. I almost checked for caps on "1942" as well :)

DaveC posted on Dec 24 2005 at 11:11 PM said:
Could you also have an option to use the volume buttons for action buttons when in vertical mode? It is awkward to play those vertical games with the other buttons. Especially when the button used is "A" which forces you to reach farther in and cover part of the screen and speaker with your thumb. "X" or "B" would have been a better choice.

Maybe one could use the R-shoulder for trigger... Right index finger on R, left thumb on stick.

0512242346156bb.jpg

Like this, though I needed the left hand to take the pic... :p

Of course, there's the thumbstick button aswell.

Do the neogeo games work yet then?

Thanks for this :D I've got a long trip up to my sisters place tomorrow and this will definitely keep me occupied

*charges an extra set of batteries*

I cant seem to get this to work, I just get a black screen after the splash screen. Any ideas what im doing wrong?

EDIT: Just realised the screen is not just black and that there is an error message:

error no available games found

Its really faint and I can barely see it. I have two games in the roms folder in zip format and are named correctly.

it's not black, look carefully (the text is very dark green), it can't find any games.

make sure games are zipped in rom directory with the correct name (or in subdirectories of rom folder with correct name), and make sure mamegp2x is in the root of the sd card with its subdirectories intact. check case on folders and roms to insure that they're all lower case.

Jarska333 posted on Dec 24 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 24 2005 at 11:11 PM said:
Could you also have an option to use the volume buttons for action buttons when in vertical mode?  It is awkward to play those vertical games with the other buttons.  Especially when the button used is "A" which forces you to reach farther in and cover part of the screen and speaker with your thumb.  "X" or "B" would have been a better choice.

Maybe one could use the R-shoulder for trigger... Right index finger on R, left thumb on stick.

Of course, there's the thumbstick button aswell.

Soulder buttons aren't good for fire like in Galaga. Still kind of awkward to reach. Thumbstick as fire would be horrible. Can you imagine playing a shooter like galaga by pressing the thumbstick? Bad idea.

Using the volume like I said is the most comfortable. Then you can hold it like a Gameboy with both hands at the bottom. Plus it auto adapts depending on the orientation that you play. I don't see anything wrong with that, seems like the best solution.

there is god, ive been praying for this all day as i finally get my gp2x tomorrow

thanks you
thank you
thank you

Can this emulator only play black tiger because I put afew roms and it says its trying to load black tiger when i load the app.

Thanks for the release, just in time for xmas :D

Back