Letux-OS

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
I don't have the adapter...but it's possible to write uboot infos on a text file ?

Anyway i'm also on SuperZaxxon 1.76
my dmesg says:
Linux version 3.2.102 dated Jun 24 2018 so i think it's latest

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
I think that i found how to access Uboot console, when we power on with rear R button pressed, the last option in the menu is "console"
and this is the Uboot console.

It is safe to manually type the content of this boot.txt script ? naturally not as is but adapted to execute only the commands.
I will be in trouble if i type this commands?

hns

Very Active Member
Interesting idea! It should work without trouble.
Alternatively you can load it from the SD card and run the whole script.
But as soon as the kernel starts (the run command in the sequence) it may wipe out the screen.

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Interesting idea! It should work without trouble.
Alternatively you can load it from the SD card and run the whole script.
But as soon as the kernel starts (the run command in the sequence) it may wipe out the screen.
Yes it worked but as you say the screen get wipe out as i run the bootm command.
Anyway i can see some other messages on screen (as i omitted to redirect the stdout to serial) .

The funny thing is that after the first time that i need to boot from SuperZaxxon now both SD and microSD card work also directly starting from powered off Pandora (all of this before testing with UBoot console)...maybe something missing is writed to the SD cards ?

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
If that can be of any use, here's the SL4P autoboot.txt file, must be in /
Code:
setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootwait vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K mmc_core.removable=0
ext2load mmc 0 0x80300000 /boot/uImage
bootm 0x80300000

hns

Very Active Member
If that can be of any use, here's the SL4P autoboot.txt file, must be in /
Code:
setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootwait vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K mmc_core.removable=0
ext2load mmc 0 0x80300000 /boot/uImage
bootm 0x80300000
Well, that is not sufficient since it does not load a device tree binary.
Here is the LetuxOS boot file:
What I have no idea for is why it does not boot right away and needs to boot SuperZaxxon first. Hm. Maybe bad NAND contents can block the LetuxOS kernel in some cases?

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
What I have no idea for is why it does not boot right away and needs to boot SuperZaxxon first. Hm. Maybe bad NAND contents can block the LetuxOS kernel in some cases?
Maybe it's something specific on my unit...hope someone else try and report more experience.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Hmm, I hadn't spotted him saying that. That is odd. I recall that newer larger SD cards take longer to initialise their cells when they first power on, which can confused an old uboot but we had an update for that a few years back to improve compatibility with booting from various SD cards. Why that would be better after a reboot is still strange though; perhaps a hot reboot doesn't actually cut power to the SD slots, so the card is ready at the required moment to boot from it.

But at the end of the day, he has a method to boot from the SD card. If it loads but doesn't work, that's a problem with the configuration of the SD card, and the reason for it not working from cold is curious but ultimately of limited importance.

Reactions: rSl

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Another test.
Today my battery need recharging, i plugged the charger and forget about it, after half an hour i checked the charge level and noted that the red led was off, i touched a key and screen goes on but the battery was only a little charged, so in the end the Pandora charge the battery only when not in idle mode.
So i removed the battery for few minutes, and rebooted and this time the charge goes smooth (also in idle mode) as usual. I think the LetuxOS from the SD card seems confusing the battery charger?

Next i try with the last SD card the i was using yesterday (the last time boot went fine from power off) but when i booted from power off it didn't booted again. So i rebooted whit the Pandora button+ switching the power button and the boot went fine.
So i'm really puzzled.

hns

Very Active Member
Well, there is nothing special in LetuxOS with the charger driver (twl4030) compared to kernel.org and I assume that the chip and driver is used in several other devices as well.
But it may be that the driver in kernel.org is not compatible to the Pandora (or Pandora U-Boot) any more... Or the original Pandora system has some pyra-specific patch that never made its way to mainline Linux.

Generally it is difficult to debug from such symptoms only. A console log would probably give some readable hints.

So using your description I did this:
* remove AC charger cable and USB cable to PC
* remove battery for a minute
* put in µSD (with latest letux-5.4-rc4 kernel because I wanted to test it)
* connect console adapter
* press right shoulder button to go to boot menu
* put in (almost fully charged) battery (starts auto-poweron) and close battery lid
* choose "boot from SD1:1"
* press B
* LetuxOS boots well
* WLAN scan works (which is what I wanted to test)

So did you do anything differently?

Last edited:

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
So using your description I did this:
* remove AC charger cable and USB cable to PC
* remove battery for a minute
* put in µSD (with latest letux-5.4-rc4 kernel because I wanted to test it)
* connect console adapter
* press right shoulder button to go to boot menu
* put in (almost fully charged) battery (starts auto-poweron) and close battery lid
* choose "boot from SD1:1"
* press B
* LetuxOS boots well
* WLAN scan works (which is what I wanted to test)

So did you do anything differently?
The other day, apart from connecting a console adapter i did the same things (i have not tested WiFi...as don't have here atm) and it didn't boot.
Now i have done the same procedure and the boot went well....i don't know, maybe it's something specific on my unit...so don't waste more time on this.