1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Letux-OS

Discussion in 'Alternative OS' started by hns, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Shenmue

Shenmue Advanced Member

Thank you!

2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

FWIW, I too have now burned a card seemingly successfully from my archlinux box too, thanks for the prompt fixes! I can't test it yet though since I'm in the middle of a podcast and don't like to reboot then if I can.

It seems to use a boot.scr, not a boot.txt, and I have no idea if it's even possible to edit those to make them autoboot. In that case, I'll be flying blind - can anyone tell me how many times I need to press down before pressing B on my Pandora to make it boot from the left SD slot?

3. hns

hns Very Active Member

Good!
    Well, boot.scr is just a wrapper around some boot.txt.
    The boot.txt "source" can be found here: http://download.goldelico.com/letux-u-boot/OpenPandora/latest/src/boot.txt

The boot menu looks like:
    Code:
    > default boot
      power off
      boot from SD:1

so you need to press the "down" button twice before "B".

levi likes this.
  4. levi

Thanks, seems to be booting now. I'm not sure the SD lights are completely disconnected - the left LED corresponding to the left SD card slot seemed a lot busier at the start of boot than a minute or so later. But the wifi light (or possibly the bluetooth light, I forget) was blinking away spelling out morse I's I think, so it seems to have booted that far at least. I can't do any more testing though since tv out is not enabled.

On my pandora this is largely done by writing 'tv' to /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay2/manager. I guess that sysfs folder is populated by the omaplfb kernel module, but as I say that's just a guess based on its name and description (it's a gpu driver from ImgTec - so probably one of our binary blobs that's probably not in a standard debian distribution).

5. sle85276

sle85276 Still Fresh

Thank you for your effort to provide a recent OS for the "old" Pandora.

I gave makesd a try, but the sd card has some issues on my Pandora (1Ghz model):

1. When the start up finished, the Pandora has a pop up on the screen containing the text "No session for pid 2445"
    2. The nubs do not work (this is a know issue), and i have no experience running lxde with keyboard only, therefore this is the end of the road for me on the GUI.
    3. To make some progress on the GUI i tried do connect a USB mouse via OTG adapter to the Pandora; when i look into /var/log/message the mouse is detected, but i do not get a mouse pointer on the desktop
    4. Via /var/log/message i found that my USB-NIC is not recognized on the USB-A connector on the Pandora, But the USB-NIC is recognized via the OTG adapter.
    5. There is a problem with the hwclock. On the first boot the Pandora shows the correct date / time, but after restart i get something with 1st January.

levi likes this.
  6. hns

hns Very Active Member

Hi, thanks for trying!

1. yes, this is some issue with how LXDE is set up. We have tried to find out why and find cures, but it seems to be deeply hidden inside LXDE. You could try the Xfce4 image. Perhaps you can also get some Pyra rootfs working.
    2. they are basically working, but not properly configured for X11
    3. this is also X11 config
    4. AFAIK the USB-A connector is not powered on (I don't know how it is done in the standard OS)
    5. have to check

Generally, the focus of the work is on the kernel so that the user space and GUI might have sharp edges :) Help is welcome to work on this.

7. levi

I think the host USB connector is handled by modprobing in a kernel module, and turned off in turn the rmmodding it. No idea what happens inside that module though.

8. hns

hns Very Active Member

Ah, good. I think it controls some gpio.
    But modprobing with parameters is not directly useable in the Letux Kernel.
    Maybe we need some extcon driver https://lwn.net/Articles/488285/ but I don't know if switching USB host power on/off is in its scope.
    A simple solution may go through user-space control of gpios.
    A more complex one seems to add some regulator driver that is controlled by the usb port. Then, something like /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/usb1/power/control could work.
    I'll make a note somewhere to dig into this. Maybe it is just 2 or 3 lines in device tree.

Edit: Pandora DT has an entry and references vaux2:
    http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-k...5f44a9bd9445388c9007e884319918935af46169#l245
    But it should somehow control gpio_164
    Well, this also exists as usb_host_5v entry. But this is "always on" and used nowhere.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  9. levi

There's no parameters to the modprobe command - just the module name. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

@notaz would have a much better idea about power to the USB host/type A port I'm sure. He did some work to the pandora kernel to switch off some 5V power line when you turned off everything that uses it - for me the thing that always does it is turning off the USB host port (which triggers the system to rmmod that module). It was part of the 1.37 power saving round of features, ISTR.