Latest update: Keymats are here, how strong will the logo plate be - and pretty cases.

I will wait to see other color options. People loved red when they saw the default pyra images in red, then they loved transparent when it appeared. They loved grey after seeing unpainted grey prototype and now almost everyone loves mate black. I can barely guess what will happen after evildragon shows us other painted colored cases.

Hmmmm, good to see the drama smoothing out... otherwise I would have to CALL FOR YOUR ORDER NUMBER! :oops:

edit: I see no prob with the plate, I´m sure the final one will be very neat with that material.

Reactions: rSl
Since when is pointing out rudeness and implied insults banworthy. Im getting pretty sick of this. i have already reduced the number of Pyras I will be buying by one.
"Implied" is the keyword here I guess. The point is those implications don't seem to be obvious for most other people. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even guess that it could be meant impolite in any way. And even now, it seems a bit like a stretch to me. Maybe there is a bigger context in which one Grench's statement become rude and insulting, but it that case I agree with the others: You should better solve your dispute in another place.

The matte black does indeed look good, but I had a feeling that the coating was going to turn out well in the first place. Now that we have opened the door to coating, can we possibly have a better variety of choices? I'm still partial to a nice dark gray, as seen on this thumbdrive:

Ativa_8GB_-Executive_Flash__1.jpg

This color looks really nice on the renders: (Thanks @Neelix for making the image for me previously)

pyra_darkgreynoisy_black-png.28218

-God Ginrai
My_precious_gollum_lord_or_the_rings_oh_yes_mine_all_mine_go_away.gif

As previously said, it does give a ThinkPad vibe. As it's more gaming oriented, we could market it as the "GamePad" ? :p
On a more serious side, I'd be kinda interested in seeing a matte silver. Like some sort of blurry chrome with a bit of texture, not unlike brushed aluminium.
Yet black is definitely the lowest common denominator, plus it looks quite good, so let's go with that anyway.

Yet black is definitely the lowest common denominator, plus it looks quite good, so let's go with that anyway.
To top it off that coated black case is about as close to 0 reflectivity as we're likely to get without carbon nanotube coatings. It looks drop dead fantastic.

I may have to buy an extra set of case plastics just to get a set in that flat black. That or maybe wait until the pre-orders are all filled and ED gets to where he has these in stock and buy a 2nd Pyra... Wife would totally kill me for even thinking about it.

As others stated I fear the matte coat will wear fastly and show shiny spots. I prefer matte by the looks but the glossy one may "hid" better those shiny spots.

I will take whatever I get anyhow. There is always time for case revisions.

Would really like to see a C64 beige version, and if we're dreaming here I'd love to a set of keycaps stylized to look like the C64 keyboard too ;)

The paint looks great though! I didn't know it would be possible for it to look this much better with a simple coat of paint. And if it makes it scratch-resistant too, then that's just an added bonus.

"Implied" is the keyword here I guess. The point is those implications don't seem to be obvious for most other people. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even guess that it could be meant impolite in any way. And even now, it seems a bit like a stretch to me. Maybe there is a bigger context in which one Grench's statement become rude and insulting, but it that case I agree with the others: You should better solve your dispute in another place.

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you :)

@Swordfish II One last time please take your vendetta to private messages.

Last edited:
I will wait to see other color options. People loved red when they saw the default pyra images in red, then they loved transparent when it appeared. They loved grey after seeing unpainted grey prototype and now almost everyone loves mate black. I can barely guess what will happen after evildragon shows us other painted colored cases.

I think you are right: we will love other colors, if well done like this one, when we see them.

But I think this BLACK (matte and beautiful) and dark grey (in fact black is always "very dark grey, sometimes with a bit of blue or other color) are very "neutral" colors and can satisfy most people. Some will love this black, as I do; it will satisfy near all people and will be "enough good" for all. On other side for example RED or BLUE won't be neutral: some people would love it, some would kill for it, but they are colors that can't satisfy most people.

It could be that launching 1st batch only in one color, could speed up things for this 1st launch, and I think that would be good. Later we can buy other colors case replacements on shop, as other accessories.

PD: I am not saying this black will be only color in 1st batch, I am only theorizing about that possibility.

@ED I like the paint job, too. Still not convinced, I'll like the mechanical attributes of the logo solution, but I guess something sensibly doable must be used to cover that hole. Hopefully you have the grip of a sailor and that's why you could make the plate stretch/bend.

I'm the only one who would liked to see new keymats and painted base together ?

The video ends and that was the missing dramatic highlight ED was working on

I'm the only one who would liked to see new keymats and painted base together ?

The video ends and that was the missing dramatic highlight ED was working on
I was waiting for that shot! The painted cases won me over though even without the keymat in place.

Keymat requires a system board behind it to sit right behind the plastics. We all want to see it, but that would be an assembly video. I suspect that will happen soonish, at least in relevance to the project time.

Congrats on the progress. The GCW Zero was painted matte black and I thought it felt quite cheap personally. I still think matte/textured black plastic is the better solution. I’m Mediterranean and one of the things that comes up a lot with matte black things is smudges/oily fingerprints. No problem with a glossy black raw plastic finish; just rub them right off. Matte paint though, good luck. Oh well, what can you do ‍:shrug:

Back