Just a bunch of pics

Stainless steel is made stainless by choosing an alloy that prevents corrosion from happening in the first place, applying a protective layer on top of corroding material is the very definition of not being stainless.

In the end the protective oxide layer will only slow down the corrosion, just like hot-dip zinc galvanized iron will simply start to corrode at some point. However, aluminium takes ages to even show signs of corrosion even when constantly exposed to the weather outside - as in: decades. The protective oxide layer just works pretty well, but it's not perfect.

AKSHUALLY

from Wiki:

"...stainless steels contain sufficient chromium to undergo passivation, spontaneously forming a microscopically thin inert surface film of chromium oxide by reaction with the oxygen in air and even the small amount of dissolved oxygen in water. This passive film prevents further corrosion by blocking oxygen diffusion to the steel surface and thus prevents corrosion from spreading into the bulk of the metal..."

In other words it's exactly the same.

In other words it's exactly the same.
I have yet to see V2A that shows any signs of corrosion. If you've seen aluminium pipes used for fixing satellite disks to buildings that have been outside for 30 years you'll know what I mean.

"...stainless steels contain sufficient chromium to undergo passivation,... This passive film prevents further corrosion..."
So I can apply chromium to my underwear and they become stainless! I'm going to apply for a patent right now. BRB/AFK.

I remember cheap third party chromium plated steel car bumpers/fenders used to rust pretty damn promptly if left out in the rain. Perhaps they were rusting through from the inside - I never took them off to check - or maybe they weren't actually plated with chromium.

So I can apply chromium to my underwear and they become stainless! I'm going to apply for a patent right now. BRB/AFK.

golden_boy.jpg

I remember cheap third party chromium plated steel car bumpers/fenders used to rust pretty damn promptly if left out in the rain.
The important piece of information that was missing is that another essential component of proper stainless steel is nickel. Being coated instead of being part of the actual alloy makes a difference as well.

I need like a grenade or something to help us get offtopic. Just a reminder that this is an official news thread.

So, yeah, if there are bare aluminum logo plates I will take one. I am also considering sanding one if I need to, or a custom plate in copper.

The e-ink screen would be much more useful than any camera tiny enough to fit in that cavity.

-God Ginrai
An eink handset that could be used as a bluetooth monitor & dialer by itself with velcro or a few magnets to clip it to the cover maybe?

as a dialer, an e-ink screen wouldn't feel very responsive. but interesting idea...

An eink handset that could be used as a bluetooth monitor & dialer by itself with velcro or a few magnets to clip it to the cover maybe?

That's not what I was aiming for, but it's not a bad extension on the idea. Why bluetooth instead of WiDi? Also, if you were going to make it detachable, velcro is a horrible option. Magnets are ok, but I'd suggest just give it a mechanism that locks it in place using plastic. Kind of like deadbolts on a door.

-God Ginrai

That's not what I was aiming for, but it's not a bad extension on the idea. Why bluetooth instead of WiDi? Also, if you were going to make it detachable, velcro is a horrible option. Magnets are ok, but I'd suggest just give it a mechanism that locks it in place using plastic. Kind of like deadbolts on a door.

-God Ginrai

Wow - talk about timing. They put too much into it and made it too expensive IMHO. But, what I imagined above is this without the phone parts but with the ability to mirror the screen of what is on my min phone/device/pyra/other and send mouse (via relative/mouse touchscreen) and send/receive audio.

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/light-phone-2.82669/

Back