It's yummy. But you can't eat it!

Yes, as mentioned, the GPD Win will have an impact on the Pyra, and it might even lead far enough that it will not go into production, if they grabbed too many preorders from us...

The reason why they choose the GPD Win without hesitation is the following:

* It's hard to imagine sizes with a rendering. Most have probably not realized that the middle section of the GPDs keyboard is out of reach.

* They see two similar devices, most don't think about the additional features the Pyra has, like the SD Card slots, GPS, multiple USB ports, upgradable CPU, replacable battery, etc.

* They think the GPD Win will be a lot cheaper - which is only true for the Indiegogo price. They stated themselves that the retailer price is $499, which won't be far off from the Pyra.

It will be cheaper than $500 though, as a lot of people have said, they have a habit of claiming a high RRP then actually selling things for way less. Around the $300 mark is where I see it hitting the market.

But don't panic though, I still think most people interested in the Pyra are here for a community backed Linux gaming UMPC. Interesting though the commentors mentioned they have been swayed by both the WIN and XD.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought a UMPC was a Windows device, and that they weren't in the clamshell form. For clamshell handheld computers I go with the old palmtop label.

Sure, the community here is a good start, but we need to think outside this community as well :)

For me, simply the fact that I have to install a game (can take a looong time) before I can test it, is offputting me.

I often install the latest 10 - 15 releases from the repo (takes a couple of seconds), try them and delete the ones I don't want to play,

With a Win system, this could take hours...

It's the reason I stopped playing on Windows computers alltogether, btw.
I only play on consoles...

Waiting 30 minutes to install a game only to find out your CPU or GPU is too slow... yay ;)

You know I just realized something that should have been very obvious. On the Dingoonity forum, we have been wondering why GPD was rushing the GPD WIN to get it onto Indiegogo ASAP and onto the market. Now I realized the obvious answer. They are trying to beat Pyra to market / grab attention away from it. Not sure why I didn't realize that before now. Though I still think a number of people will buy a Pyra because it's Linux - it will attract the Linux crowd

@rygD

UMPC's came in pretty much all configs, including many clamshells

Last edited:
@rygD

UMPC's came in pretty much all configs, including many clamshells
Yeah, I decided to see what Wikipedia said, and that didn't clear anything up. Supposedly both are names for devices with x86 processors, and the main difference being all palmtops were clamshells and produced earlier, while some UMPCs may be considered palmtops. So, really, the Pyra is neither. We will probably continue to call it both of them. Glad I wasted both our time...

I don't see anything on wikipedia saying it had to be x86, just that they're PCs with a small form factor.
I don't know why you're getting so hung up on the definition though, the term "UMPC" was literally invented as a marketing gimmick: someone said "hey, this tiny laptop thing, what can we call it to distinguish it from other stuff? Ultra-Mobile-PC sounds good to me, anyone disagree? No? SHIP IT!"
Is it a PC? By the true definition of the word. Is it mobile? That's obvious. Is it ULTRA mobile? Well, it's more mobile than a laptop, or even some of the other things already classified as UMPCs, so I guess it is.
Pandora is UMPC as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like Liliputing ran a story on ED's latest prototype and showed his video on it.
The coments section is pretty interesting, hmmm: http://liliputing.com/2016/03/video-dragonbox-pyra-open-source-handheld-game-console-prototype.html
Damn, how many scripts do I have to activate just to see the comments under this crappy and wrong "article"?

Yes, as mentioned, the GPD Win will have an impact on the Pyra, and it might even lead far enough that it will not go into production, if they grabbed too many preorders from us...
This would absolutely suck although I don't think that it will happen. Even though most humans are superficial idiots, many of the GPD Win customers would eventually get a Pyra later when they have experienced all the shortcomings of the GPD that weren't mentioned in their usual advertising. If they can't because the Pyra didn't come to be because they were fooled out of pre-ordering, it would be really tragic.

Waiting 30 minutes to install a game only to find out your CPU or GPU is too slow... yay ;)
People grew up with the notion that Windows is user friendly and Linux is complicated and inconvenient. This point hasn't been checked in the last years by most people.

I often install the latest 10 - 15 releases from the repo (takes a couple of seconds), try them and delete the ones I don't want to play,

With a Win system, this could take hours...

I have to point out that on Windows there are also "portable" games/programs that can run with everything they need inside a folder, without installation, naturally I'm excluding Steam games and DRM protected ones, the advantage the Pandora had here is because it was born with the PND system in mind, while on Windows the "portable" mentality is still a niche thing.

With the PortableApps menu, also, it's almost as simple as with a Linux repo to launch/manage/add/update applications and games.

That said, seems to me that keeping pointing out what differs from Pyra and GPD Win doesn't give so much results, maybe a comparative table on the wiki could be more straightforward to understand, but many just want a device to "do things", and the GPD Win "does things" (if it will be produced :p) with less money.

Everyone else, that really wants a device to own, modify, and with a great support as the backbone, have only a choice. And "It's a no brainer" too ;)

I don't know about a comparison. If you do believe the WIN is a competitor, showing a comparison might provide Pyra prospective customers with advertising and awareness of the WIN.

I don't know how many times I've seen a company get defensive like that, put out a comparison with their competitors , only for me to see the comparison chart, see the competitors and think , huh, never heard of them, I'll check them out. Maybe that's just me

Is it time to start putting a why buy a Pyra FAQ together as per this post?

The other huge 'Elephant in the room' along with the cost is the SOC. If I was a potential customer who had not followed the Pyra project closely I'd be thinking why buy a Pyra if the GPD Win is half the price and has an SOC with twice (or maybe more?) the performance? NB 'twice the performance' is not based on benchmarks or tests or careful analysis just a gut feel of the type used in the early stages of making a purchasing decision.

Another reason would be GPD has already produced several handhelds, why trust a first timer?

NB I do not need convincing about why to buy a Pyra, the above is all about convincing potential customers who might not have followed the project.
It's the reason I stopped playing on Windows computers alltogether, btw.
I only play on consoles...
To be fair steam has made things a lot better for the PC gamer, when comparing PC gaming to console gaming.
this crappy and wrong "article"?
What do you think is wrong with the article? Seemed pretty accurate to me.

If i remember correctly, Nub Caps, Stylus , and other tiny pices are on the thirt mould so they arent ready yet..

Is the Lid Cover also on Mould 3 ??

And how good holds the Hinge now?? ..

I like this video and the look of this thing..
Its cool that its works now..

* It's hard to imagine sizes with a rendering. Most have probably not realized that the middle section of the GPDs keyboard is out of reach.

* They see two similar devices, most don't think about the additional features the Pyra has, like the SD Card slots, GPS, multiple USB ports, upgradable CPU, replacable battery, etc.

* They think the GPD Win will be a lot cheaper - which is only true for the Indiegogo price. They stated themselves that the retailer price is $499, which won't be far off from the Pyra.
Personally I don't think the GPD WIN is UMPC's future and I don't want it becomes. Everything is closed and can't be upgraded, it takes the same way as the smartphone, the tablets, and the hardware will dies in few years from exhaustion.

I rather believe in a "foolish" upgradable "weak and bulky" handled that is created from scratch by someone that has an outlook of micro computing, that wants to offer is own point of view of what is an UMPC to the market, which means that he doesn't only follow what people wants, but he also listens and believes in his own vision.

I know that your first aim is to change the computing, GPD is only looking for money, and so they're don't care about the community as long as they can earn money. The way their handleds are built shows us how much they don't care about the sturdiness and the performances of their machines over the long term.

They are already talking about creating other handled, which shows how much they aren't even interested in their products' futures, as long they can earn lots of money, while you are talking about upgrading some part of the Pyra.

I'm a Windows guy for everything and since I'm born. The closest experience I had with Linux is with Android, but I'm confident in you and I rather supporting you and help you if I can, rather than giving money to something quite common that is already planned to be dead in few years.

I believe that people that helping you here share the same vision as you, that's why this community is awesome and that I joined you guys.

I think someone should get both and then program them to auto compose a rap. A video of the epic rap battle between them should then be posted, so people can decide the winner.

That's the only real way I think this can be decided :p

This sounds like you've not realized yet that with the Pyra, you're in a very similar situation as many Mittelstand companies here in Germany. You're focussing on a niche, and are active on the world market with a physical product that's (a bit) more expensive than competitors, but focussed on quality.

Those other Mittelstand companies are surviving their competition, too. You should try to learn from them more. (Just as an example, hadn't you moved production closer to yourself already, you could have learned from them that this is something that you should do to ease prototyping and testing.)

What do you think is wrong with the article? Seemed pretty accurate to me.

"and a Linux-based operating system (although the final version will come with a different OS)"
Could be understood as "although the final version won't come with Linux" by some people.

Crappy article because it lacks most crucial information but that's just my humble opinion.

I'm a Windows guy for everything and since I'm born. The closest experience I had with Linux is with Android, but I'm confident in you and I rather supporting you and help you if I can, rather than giving money to something quite common that is already planned to be dead in few years.
Have you tried Pandora's OS? It's the most user friendly experience ever, I dumped Windows afterwards.
A Linux OS that is optimized for a certain set of hardware is the best and like a gaming console experience with a ton of cherries on top.

This sounds like you've not realized yet that with the Pyra, you're in a very similar situation as many Mittelstand companies here in Germany. You're focussing on a niche, and are active on the world market with a physical product that's (a bit) more expensive than competitors, but focussed on quality.

Those other Mittelstand companies are surviving their competition, too. You should try to learn from them more. (Just as an example, hadn't you moved production closer to yourself already, you could have learned from them that this is something that you should do to ease prototyping and testing.)
I'm working in a German two people company (mostly just my boss and me + one or two helpers now and then) and we are in exactly the same situation. Paying the rent and former debts needs most earnings. The people re-selling similar but inferior products from outsourced cheap labour don't have those problems but all of our customers are happy that we (still) exist at all although the rent is rising periodically and surviving becomes harder sometimes.
Unfortunately, the amount of people that look for quality isn't so big, many people buy the cheap trash and then let it collect dust because it wasn't such a good idea after all, some buy our stuff later but most are just discouraged and we make very little profit with the prices we have to take since they can't be too much higher than the cheap rivals (which are mostly too expensive for what they do).

Last edited:
I don't know about a comparison. If you do believe the WIN is a competitor, showing a comparison might provide Pyra prospective customers with advertising and awareness of the WIN.

I don't know how many times I've seen a company get defensive like that, put out a comparison with their competitors , only for me to see the comparison chart, see the competitors and think , huh, never heard of them, I'll check them out. Maybe that's just me

I found out about the GPD Win here, in this board, it was named in like 5 threads, and people keep asking about it... also, ED will sell them too.

Years ago, when I still didn't know about the Pandora, and I learned of the existence of open consoles, I missed a comparison chart, even for GPH devices... for example I had to read a lot of wiki pages and forums just to find out the one had the battery integrated and the older model not... anyway while searching info about those I found myself reading about the Pandora project, and so I just waited...

Have you tried Pandora's OS? It's the most user friendly experience ever, I dumped Windows afterwards.
A Linux OS that is optimized for a certain set of hardware is the best and like a gaming console experience with a ton of cherries on top.

Never, I would love to buy a 1ghz but I don't have enough money, i'm saving money for the Pyra.

However I think I watched almost all Pandora's videos on YouTube, several times. I'm confident how easy it will be to use the Pyra when I see how good was Pandora's OS.

I found out about the GPD Win here, in this board, it was named in like 5 threads, and people keep asking about it... also, ED will sell them too.
Which is a mistake. ED is involuntarily advertising GPD and now that they seem to become a threat, maybe it isn't such a good idea.

Back