It's yummy. But you can't eat it!

Good to know.

I was thinking that a nice addition would be to have a special way to get out sd cards. Something easy to do when you know how to do it but not easy if you don't know. Like the way you remove sim card on iphone but in preference something you don't need a tool to do. Thus your sd cards would be less exposed to various things. Theft for exemple, right now someone can easily steal your 400€ sd card and all your data whithout you noticing it before the next day or later.
I believe something which can be done at this stage of the developpement can be found.
Maybe some kind of tools could be added on the unused side of the stylus

I was thinking that a nice addition would be to have a special way to get out sd cards. Something easy to do when you know how to do it but not easy if you don't know. Like the way you remove sim card on iphone but in preference something you don't need a tool to do. Thus your sd cards would be less exposed to various things. Theft for exemple, right now someone can easily steal your 400€ sd card and all your data whithout you noticing it before the next day or later.
I believe something which can be done at this stage of the developpement can be found.

I'm curious... Do you really think that a dishonest sort managing to get their mitts on your 500€ Pyra is really likely to steal an SD card rather than just make off with the device itself?

-Neelix

Hello, I couldn't help but notice the angle of the hinge, and would love it not to be so straight, think about the nintendo ds, 3ds and every mobile phone with flip, they all have a slight angle that make them more comfortable, anatomically and visually speaking, so here is my suggestion: angle them hinges!!
Ps: notice me senpai!!

Hello, I couldn't help but notice the angle of the hinge, and would love it not to be so straight, think about the nintendo ds, 3ds and every mobile phone with flip, they all have a slight angle that make them more comfortable, anatomically and visually speaking, so here is my suggestion: angle them hinges
Not possible thanks to Nintendo's patent trolling.
Blame Japanese business men.

You could just use an angled USB-plug as a seat for the hinge though since the USB ports are conveniently placed.

Easy fix for tilt control on my Pandy.. been using this forever... Little self sticking rubber feet. (Scotch product).

upload_2016-3-12_11-12-41.png

You could just use an angled USB-plug as a seat for the hinge though since the USB ports are conveniently placed.
Seriously? They can pattern such a thing? Pattern laws are so ridiculous sometimes. I was gonna ask for the same thing but yeah now I know the reason.
None the less the device looks amazing and I love that I can see the thing slowly getting developed.

As far as I understand it, the problems would be the molds. You can add material relatively easy by removing material from the molds. But if you want to to remove material from the case, you have to add something to the mold. If the need of ventilation slots may occur, you perhaps can solve that with some inlays, but just for a bigger rounding radius it probably will not be worth the extra hassle (and money), i think.

Yes, you would have to add material to the molds if you want to make some outer areas of the case smaller.

And speaking of vent holes, there is still some room in the middle of the keyboard area, under the hinge. Same for the underside (front or back). Of course, the Pyra will not be water or even dust proof that way.

My god, this slightly bigger transparent case would be a hardware modder's dream. Too bad the production unit will be smaller and probably only in a black version, with this case I'd probably buy a second one just for modding.

Seriously? They can pattern such a thing? Pattern laws are so ridiculous sometimes
Not at all. Nintendo doesn't have a patent on their hinge, there is absolutely nothing preventing anyone from having a multi-stage hinge like on the DS except one thing: money.
ED said that he could have designed a hinge from scratch to be multi-stage, but doing so was prohibitively expensive. He had to go with an off-the-shelf part. The part he selected is compatible with the 3DS hinge, so you can actually buy a 3DS (I think it was the old style phat one, someone correct me if it was the lite) and replace it yourself. He wasn't able to include the 3DS hinge because, even though they don't own a patent they do own the copyright on that particular design, so manufacturers can't just sell them off-the-shelf to someone not-Nintendo.
If there were a non-Nintendo multi-stage hinge, or even ones with different angles available off-the-shelf then he could use them. Sadly he's got to go with what is available, which is a 170 degree lock. It's the market, one just doesn't really exist.

Too bad, that there's the CPU-Board in between. We could then just drill 3 SD-Card-shaped Holes in the inner Case and put the needed connectors onto the Mainboard. That would give us 1.5Tb of Storage with currently available Sd Cards.

I tried to share my excitement about this video with others last night. None of the people I tried to show it to cared. :(

Hehe! I know the feeling all to well. Usually the first person I show something like this to is my wife, her response is almost always "Oh, nice" and then she looks away again... :p

Great progress Ed! Awesome!

Not at all. Nintendo doesn't have a patent on their hinge, there is absolutely nothing preventing anyone from having a multi-stage hinge like on the DS except one thing: money.
ED said that he could have designed a hinge from scratch to be multi-stage, but doing so was prohibitively expensive. He had to go with an off-the-shelf part. The part he selected is compatible with the 3DS hinge, so you can actually buy a 3DS (I think it was the old style phat one, someone correct me if it was the lite) and replace it yourself. He wasn't able to include the 3DS hinge because, even though they don't own a patent they do own the copyright on that particular design, so manufacturers can't just sell them off-the-shelf to someone not-Nintendo.
If there were a non-Nintendo multi-stage hinge, or even ones with different angles available off-the-shelf then he could use them. Sadly he's got to go with what is available, which is a 170 degree lock. It's the market, one just doesn't really exist.
Oh good, I got a original 3DS laying around. I might just switch the hinge out between those two when I get it.

Back