It's yummy. But you can't eat it!

I keep thinking "let's just wait till both are out". When the independent reviews start popping up and the devices are shown side-to-side minds will be made up.

And yeah Pyra and WIN are two different classes. I want something pocket-friendly, so WIN is a no-go.

Of course. As I mentioned from the very beginning, I don't want any huge marketing, etc. until the device is fully finished (especially with Pandoras background), as I personally hate stuff like that.

We've seen many hyped products on Kickstarter that only existed as rendering fail, that's something I DON'T want.

I don't like advertising before a product is finished, I like honesty and openness.

The GPD Win only lives right now because they're hyping a product that doesn't even exist - something I clearly do NOT want.

PS: I am a Chinese, could anyone tell me, is that possible to make Pyra support Chinese? I means display and type in. If can not, okay, I also accept it.

Debian Jessie has font and input method support in its standard repositories. While probably not perfect it was good enough for my father in law when he last visited. I installed the necessary packages manually, but possibly just installing meta package task-chinese-s is all that is needed (if not, providing an adequate meta package could be a community project).

@PSC I think you should be able to input chinese somehow since the pyra will run debian. It should be able to display chinese characters just like with other linux distros. Not sure how input works with linux, but there is software that let's you enter pinyin and it will translate to chinese characters:
http://wiki.debian.org/gnome-chinese-input

there's probably other options for various use cases and it should theoretically work. maybe ED can test this already with the prototype once the keyboard fully works.

EDIT: ninja'd by _jr_

So i created an Wiki Page for Comparing Pyra, GPD Win and OpenPandora(Should I add the XD?). Is everyone d'accord with that before I put more effort into it?

The XD doesn't have a keyboard, better to stick comparing only handheld PCs with keyboard+game buttons

Anyway you should put a BIG warning about the fact that the informations about the Pyra and the Win cannot be accurare because both are still in development

You know I just realized something that should have been very obvious. On the Dingoonity forum, we have been wondering why GPD was rushing the GPD WIN to get it onto Indiegogo ASAP and onto the market. Now I realized the obvious answer. They are trying to beat Pyra to market / grab attention away from it. Not sure why I didn't realize that before now. Though I still think a number of people will buy a Pyra because it's Linux - it will attract the Linux crowd

@rygD

UMPC's came in pretty much all configs, including many clamshells
Yes, I imagined that was the general idea- they were most likely inspired by the pandora's design and noticed a niche market. If this is true I won't be buying any gpd products. I don't like money grabbing foul players.

The non-centered keyboard on the Win seems less of an issue than other things. Although nothing major is likely to change with the Pyra (and I see no reason to consider such changes) I would be interested in hearing why those that prefer the Win over the Pyra feel as they do. The three things I would guess are price, Windows, and x86.

I used to think that way, really ARM is as good or better provided the software is optimized.

Of course. As I mentioned from the very beginning, I don't want any huge marketing, etc. until the device is fully finished (especially with Pandoras background), as I personally hate stuff like that.

We've seen many hyped products on Kickstarter that only existed as rendering fail, that's something I DON'T want.

I don't like advertising before a product is finished, I like honesty and openness.

The GPD Win only lives right now because they're hyping a product that doesn't even exist - something I clearly do NOT want.

I don't even buy Windows or Apple products. I been boycotting them for 3 years now. I been using Ubuntu for gaming and Chromebooks for everything else. Chrome has even evolved to the point that most things can be done offline and not only that I just got a free phone service so it doesn't matter anymore.

If someone can get a nice working Chromium on the Pyra then I'll have 90% of everything I need.

I used to think that way, really ARM is as good or better provided the software is optimized.
Yes, but for people that want to play a bunch of Windows games x86 will be important. For those that don't care about Windows games, they may prefer x86 for other things. You saying you used to think that way tells me there are probably a lot out there that still think that.

The GPD WIN's final price will be about $500 so there you go. It doesn't even have a real price advantage.

It would surprise me if they will increase the price that much after the indiegogo campaign.

It would surprise me if they will increase the price that much after the indiegogo campaign.
It's the retail price they planned and I'd be surprise if they'd lower it.
Some people seem to think that the pre-order price is the full one but it isn't.

Yes, I imagined that was the general idea- they were most likely inspired by the pandora's design and noticed a niche market. If this is true I won't be buying any gpd products. I don't like money grabbing foul players.
Welcome to free market capitalism...

What do you think the global market is, in terms of number of people who would buy a Pyra/GPD Win type device if it was available off the shelf having received decent reviews & coverage?

They have 827 backers so far after a month.

How does that figure compare to your estimate?

I don't even buy Windows or Apple products. I been boycotting them for 3 years now. I been using Ubuntu for gaming and Chromebooks for everything else. Chrome has even evolved to the point that most things can be done offline and not only that I just got a free phone service so it doesn't matter anymore.

If someone can get a nice working Chromium on the Pyra then I'll have 90% of everything I need.
Hooly... I didn't even think of this possibility! I always wanted to give Chrome OS a try and that would be the perfect way to do it!
That should be one of the good points of having a great community!

Edit : I should stop reading news posts from now on. They make me unable to wait for the other newsposts and finally the release date!

To be entirely fair, Craig and company were ALSO inspired by existing products, saw a niche, and designed the Pandora to fill it, with the ultimate goal of making money. You can't really blame anyone else for doing the same.

To be entirely fair, Craig and company were ALSO inspired by existing products, saw a niche, and designed the Pandora to fill it, with the ultimate goal of making money. You can't really blame anyone else for doing the same.
There's some truth in that- however some companies will willfully screw the little guy- but yeah I'm not naive enough to imagine that such companies could behave like gentlemen.

I still don´t see reasons for looking at gpd win as a competitor to the pyra, apart from form, everything else is different.
Kids hyped after a dream portable steam handheld are again in for a threat, games for the pc are usually made for desktops, this thing is not going to handle steam with AAA games and I will be amazed if the windows os handling itself is going to be any cooler. I have worked with windows for a long time and nowadays I can keep a system healthy and stable for more then 5 years of daily use. That is not the case with 100% of people I know, the majority bust the OS within months of use and end up with a broken thing since these same people can not reinstall the OS or something like that.

So the only costumers the Pyra might loose for the GPD are the ones that are not its target at all, specially impulsive buyers.
Sure their money could help the success of Pyra even if they have no idea what they are buying but is it really needed?

The whole Pyra production is an unique adventure in which I have seen no company do similar and I doubt any will.
Its base is trust and truth, and the way Ed is directing things is superbly honest.

I kind of think there is a fear lurking around that the GPD may pose a threat and that maybe whoever does the first campaign is going to pocket the other.
So pushing a Pyra campaign just to address that sounds like a rushed thing to pocket the impulsive buyers, something I feel this project is not intended to.
I feel the Pyra is not a product targeted as a boom tech that will sell millions of units day one, but a tool for those who know what they want or are learning to do so. It requires quite a modest boot sale (~1500 units). It is more of a product people will discover and sales shall be small but constant.

Within an year, Pyra will be going strong with its community while GPD will probably have a sequel unit coming to address problems of the first one should it sell enough. You all know GPD´s costumers will be left behind on support after the purchase. There is no ground to see that as a threat.

In 1993 my brother wanted to buy a sound system and decided for a panasonic rx-dt707. This system costed 4x the price of similar cheap chinese rebranded american crap and the issue of quality/price was discussed.
23 years later I´m still using this as my major sound system, it is as good as new and the quality can only be beaten by very expensive professional hardware.
By the looks of it, it is going to live and serve me for even more years, nothing that the 4 cheap systems could ever dream to achieve.

If you have been through situations like this, and I´m sure the majority of this community had, a cheap choice is not a choice. If you don´t have money you save for it.
GPD will be the usual buy-new-every-year entertainment handheld without support, the Pyra is a tool of work that can also do entertainment, VERY different things.

yeah, i never quite understood "the pyra is too expensive" mentality. if you can afford a GPD at $300 (or whatever it is) after X units of time, wait 2X units of time to afford the pyra at $600. (or whatever it will be.) save up for the good stuff, and avoid impulse buys!

IThat is not the case with 100% of people I know, the majority bust the OS within months of use and end up with a broken thing since these same people can not reinstall the OS or something like that.

Actually... this is a pretty scary thing.
I know Microsoft managed to render many systems unbootable with some updates within the last two years, and Windows 10 has forced updates...
What happens when an update screws up the OS and the GPD Win doesn't boot anymore?

On the Pandora, this was easy... I always kept a flashing image on the SD Card, and nothing was lost after a reflash, as everything is on the SD Card... but on the GPD Win?
Can it easily be reflashed from SD Card?
Is there a way to easily rescue the data if Windows crashes?

It's a mobile device, so I imagine people use this on holidays, etc.
Pretty dumb if that happens when you're away...

Back