It's yummy. But you can't eat it!

Oh good, I got a original 3DS laying around. I might just switch the hinge out between those two when I get it.
I meant DS, sorry; the 3DS didn't come out until 2011, well after the Pandora's design had been finalized. I'm not sure if the 3DS hinge is compatible or not; if you've got a spare go ahead and try it, worst that'll happen is it won't fit, but considering how simple of a part it is I can't imagine they'd bother changing it. You can easily buy a DS hinge off ebay for under $5 if it doesn't work.

I meant DS, sorry; the 3DS didn't come out until 2011, well after the Pandora's design had been finalized. I'm not sure if the 3DS hinge is compatible or not; if you've got a spare go ahead and try it, worst that'll happen is it won't fit, but considering how simple of a part it is I can't imagine they'd bother changing it. You can easily buy a DS hinge off ebay for under $5 if it doesn't work.

Would this work?
http://www.vartis.de/product_info.php?info=p1448_Nintendo-DS-alt-Ersatzteil-Axxis.html

Good to know.

I was thinking that a nice addition would be to have a special way to get out sd cards. Something easy to do when you know how to do it but not easy if you don't know. Like the way you remove sim card on iphone but in preference something you don't need a tool to do. Thus your sd cards would be less exposed to various things. Theft for exemple, right now someone can easily steal your 400€ sd card and all your data whithout you noticing it before the next day or later.
I believe something which can be done at this stage of the developpement can be found.
Maybe some kind of tools could be added on the unused side of the stylus
Yes!

Good to know.

I was thinking that a nice addition would be to have a special way to get out sd cards. Something easy to do when you know how to do it but not easy if you don't know. Like the way you remove sim card on iphone but in preference something you don't need a tool to do. Thus your sd cards would be less exposed to various things. Theft for exemple, right now someone can easily steal your 400€ sd card and all your data whithout you noticing it before the next day or later.
I believe something which can be done at this stage of the developpement can be found.
I'm curious... Do you really think that a dishonest sort managing to get their mitts on your 500€ Pyra is really likely to steal an SD card rather than just make off with the device itself?

-Neelix
If he is a smart one, yes. He would know that sometimes you have to make some compromise. Maybe he would not even think about stealing the Pyra but simply jump on an occasion to steal something valuable without much risk.

I tried to share my excitement about this video with others last night. None of the people I tried to show it to cared. :(

Yeah, I was going to start a thread on another board to help publicise it but I don't think this is quite the video to do it. Hopefully many of the issues can be resolved in the next few days so the next video should be a better starting point for people not used familiar with the Pyra yet.

It's very Robotron. Me like!

Can this game do bad things to people with epilepsy ?

Can those Pyra leds ?

Just curious... I don't want to kill anyone in front of me when using it

This is a nice update, looks very good!

If the battery lid modification is going to be as thick as an SD-card you could make that SD-card shaped. I'm always worried to lose my spare SD-card, so I could shove that card in the open space already, but a holder would keep the card from falling out.
If not mentioned already, the unused side of the stylus could be in the shape of the screws (so you can open-up the Pyra if needed).

There could fit SuperCaps in the empty Spaces for changing the Battery while in Standby. Could you test that, EvilDragon?

Edit: This one has good Parameters: http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata/DMF4B5R5G105M3DTA0/?qs=vowZmA%2bXpv35Av2fnmWLCQ== It could fit near the Stylus compartment. But it's expensive.
Edit2: This one is even smaller not so expensive: http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata-Electronics/DMT3N4R2U224M3DTA0/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsCu9HefNWqppuMB9oBDLbGQpjLTZvbv%2bTIJt9gY6SUsA==

Have a look by yourself: http://eu.mouser.com/Power/Supercapacitors/_/N-6uivw?P=1z0x2ua

Last edited:

Can those Pyra leds ?

Just curious... I don't want to kill anyone in front of me when using it
Yes, the potential to trigger a reaction, e.g. seizures, in photosensitive individuals is a given with the examples you provided.

It might do, expescially the "warp effect" could be dangerous. Btw it is more a question if you are photosensitive, but those who are should better not play this and similar games (there are some that are visually even more stressful)

Can those Pyra leds ?
Well, a light-triggered seizure depends on many factors, e.g. contrast, color, frequency and waveform- and the current condition of the person.

So in darkness a frequently red-blue-blinking pyra could cause seizures for sensitive persons under some circumstances(depending also on the brighness of the leds), at daylight it is much less likely.
If you want to minimize the risk of the notification especially in when its dark(Disclaimer:I'm no doctor), then avoid a high blinking frequency, avoid hard red-blue color changing, use sinus rather than rectangular blinking. Or just use permanent light or smooth color transition.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to start a thread on another board to help publicise it but I don't think this is quite the video to do it. Hopefully many of the issues can be resolved in the next few days so the next video should be a better starting point for people not used familiar with the Pyra yet.

True. That will probably happen whenever we got a full case with all the tweaks :D

Couldn't the battery be held in independently of the case somehow? Maybe notches? Extra space below the battery would possibly be nice for extensibility...

Where's the stylus?

Couldn't the battery be held in independently of the case somehow? Maybe notches? Extra space below the battery would possibly be nice for extensibility...

Where's the stylus?
where else could the battery actually fit? Also it would require a costly redesign and the need to make new molds.

where else could the battery actually fit? Also it would require a costly redesign and the need to make new molds.
I don't mean moving the battery, just not needing it to be a perfect fit. Leave some space under it for maybe a NFC module or something. But it sounds like right now, any extra space will cause the battery to fall out... similar to how it is on the N900 where I need to scotch-tape it in place. :/

Hehe! I know the feeling all to well. Usually the first person I show something like this to is my wife, her response is almost always "Oh, nice" and then she looks away again... :p

Great progress Ed! Awesome!
Pretty much the same thing happened here, with no interest in watching the video.

Oh, trust me, these people are very familiar with it. They know all the specs, and are even familiar with everything that went into the keyboard layout. I think it is simply lack of interest, despite the Pyra being perfect for at least one of these people. They just seem more interested in mainstream devices. Maybe when I get mine they will change their mind (didn't happen with the Pandora, but who knows).

Looks like Liliputing ran a story on ED's latest prototype and showed his video on it.

The coments section is pretty interesting, hmmm: http://liliputing.com/2016/03/video-dragonbox-pyra-open-source-handheld-game-console-prototype.html
About what I expected...

Last edited:
Well I was unsure as to whether GPDs products would sway people away from the Pandora/Pyra due to it's Linux following . I guess the comments section was telling though.

The non-centered keyboard on the Win seems less of an issue than other things. Although nothing major is likely to change with the Pyra (and I see no reason to consider such changes) I would be interested in hearing why those that prefer the Win over the Pyra feel as they do. The three things I would guess are price, Windows, and x86.

I would probably forget there was something under the battery cover on those rare occasions when I am switching batteries, so if my case isn't clear that is probably a feature I wouldn't use unless whatever is under there is held in place.

Back