It's the speed that counts.

I suspect that the ask was for an update on where Form Action is with the 500 cases being produced. Example: Have machines started pushing plastic into molds? Have the 500 been created? Is there a delivery date? Are they done... OK, so that gets into the highly unlikely area...

The last we heard about these was that Form Action believed that the shoulder buttons were fixed and @EvilDragon had ordered the 500 to be produced.

Tritium is not a trademark. Tritium is hydrogen(H3 or T) with 2 protons, which makes it radioactive. The gas has probably escaped through the seals(nothing can seal hydrogen completely) or while changing the battery(properly needs to be refueled before closing the case).
Yes, I know what Tritium is. I'm just saying that just because my watch has that written on the bezel doesn't really mean anything when it comes to slightly dodgy old watches of unknown origin; the only remarkable thing about it is that it was apparently featured once in an episode of The Champions, which gives a fix on the age of the thing but nothing else really.

There's no battery in the thing; it's entirely clockwork.

What happened to the Aluminum case?? :)

An aluminum case would block WiFi & 4G.

However... We're all worried about color and texture and finger prints, but there are several plastics compounds that can double or more the thermal conductivity of regular polycarbonate. Higher sustained clock rates by transferring and distributing heat better maybe?

I'm assuming EvilDragon can promote this to a separate topic if he desires, but I saw some discussion on the mailing list about which Linux kernel to use for the Pyra to start off with, even if just to enable testing.

Greg Kroah-Hartman has a page up on his blog about this topic. It is at kroah.com: What Stable Kernel Should I Use? (2018-08-24)

If you follow his method (which is probably a good idea), then choosing one of the Long Term Support (LTS) kernels appears to be sensible.

Kernels categories are listed at The Linux Kernel Archives: Active kernel releases
Longterm release kernels
4.19, maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman, released (TBD), expected to be supported until (TBD)
4.14, maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman, released, 2017-11-12, expected to be supported until Jan, 2020
4.9, maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman,released, 2016-12-11, expected to be supported until Jan, 2023
4.4, maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman,released, 2016-01-10, expected to be supported until Feb, 2022
3.16, maintainer Ben Hutchings,released, 2014-08-03, expected to be supported until Apr, 2020

note that 4.19 is expected to be an LTS kernel, and Softpedia quotes an exchange between Greg Kroah-Hartman and LTSI as saying that it will be (Softpedia).

So if EvilDragon is looking to choose a kernel, I would suggest that 4.14 or 4.19 are reasonably good candidates, unless there are extremely good reasons for choosing a non-LTS kernel.

In case you are wondering who LTSI are, their web-presence makes it clear:

The LTSI is an ecosystem-wide collaborative project to create and maintain long-term sustainable kernel for the industry that contains additional features such as cutting edge device support as well as security and bug fix patch available in community long-term maintenance kernel.

Latest LTSI release is : 4.14.75-ltsi

(Edit to add: on the Pengutronix blog, there is an interesting article covering kernel choice for embedded systms. (Pengutronix blog: What Kernel Should I Use (Embedded Edition))​

Last edited:
This might be a hot topic, but I'd prefer a kernel release that's signed off by Linus rather than Greg. I'm sure Greg has done a good job, but now that Linus is back I'd prefer to have his direct seal of approval on the release.

I don't think we need to rush a rebase of the patches either and the next point release of 4.19 should be signed off by Linus, so this might not even be relevant by the time we pick a new kernel.

To be honest, having just have a look around the Letux project Letux kernel home page, and having read their philosophy, I don't think they'll let EvilDragon go far wrong.

Philosophy
  • follows the latest kernel releases and includes security patches
  • based on the latest http://www.kernel.org (release candidates)
  • add the latest Linux features
  • have a rolling letux-base
  • add to support the GTA04 devices what is not (yet) in mainline ("plus")
  • provide drivers for as many hardware features as possible in a clean way
  • can be used in daily life
  • our patches are pushed to go upstream so that the 'plus' part gets smaller and smaller step by step

I especially like the pushing of patches upstream, because for long-term use and support, you get closer and closer to being able to use a plain 'vanilla' mainline kernel - it means doing some extra work now to avoid a great deal of extra work in future.

I suspect that the ask was for an update on where Form Action is with the 500 cases being produced. Example: Have machines started pushing plastic into molds? Have the 500 been created? Is there a delivery date? Are they done... OK, so that gets into the highly unlikely area...

The last we heard about these was that Form Action believed that the shoulder buttons were fixed and @EvilDragon had ordered the 500 to be produced.

It is getting frustrating as the cases were reported done and ordered a long time ago, now there are more tweeks and the cases are ordered.

Sweet, let's hope that the shoulder buttons will meet ED's standards for quality buttons.

Well this is realy great news!

I like, how everything seems to come to a positiv conclousion.

Back