Finished! (Well... the schematics, that is)

The ability to set custom ringtones for known numbers gives you the luxury of only answering calls from whoever you want without having to actually look at the number.

Also there will be a wifi only model for those who don't need it or are too embarrassed by the phone features.
I don't want to criticise anyone.  Are there people that would skip the 3/4G version for this reason?
sarcasm.png
<---
Perhaps I am overlooking the sarcasm this time.  Many people care a lot about how their actions and possessions are judged by others, and do some really stupid shit because of that.  My question still stands.  My guess is that most of those considering a Linux based gaming handheld that looks like a blocky knockoff of the early DS line might not mind using it for making calls.  It is hard for me to tell, since many people want to have the coolest new whatever (I think it is pretty obvious that at present the Pandora and Pyra don't have mainstream cool appeal, or something).  

I don't know.
True that many people especially the younger look to others for correctness in their actions hoping to please them or avoid their petty wrath mongering. With time though you do tend to adopt an attitude toward others that what they judge you on doesn't matter nor did it ever amount to much to worry on about. :)  

As for the phone features of the Pyra, I think it would be cool to use the device like one of those Star Trek communicators. Those were clamshells too.   

The ability to set custom ringtones for known numbers gives you the luxury of only answering calls from whoever you want without having to actually look at the number.
If this was in response to me you may have misunderstood what I was asking.  My question was "How many people here accept all calls?"  There was nothing more to it.  What you stated was one of the methods I used between my early period of answering all calls (no caller id on real landlines), and my current refusal to answer any.

True that many people especially the younger look to others for correctness in their actions hoping to please them or avoid their petty wrath mongering. With time though you do tend to adopt an attitude toward others that what they judge you on doesn't matter nor did it ever amount to much to worry on about.
I wish someone would tell that to the people in my neighborhood that are 70+ (Whoever the couple is that owns the place next to me, but don't live in it, nor have any intention of renting or selling it, kinda suck...they complained when our grass got "too long" after our lawnmower broke, before I was able to repair it, but I don't think they have cut their own this year.  Check the calendar.  It is just grass, let it grow.  Plus the rabbits and frogs like the grass a bit longer.).  Also, maybe the people in their 30s through 50s that I interact with that are some very prominent examples of what I described.  Things like keeping up with the Joneses is specifically what I am talking about, in case anyone isn't following me.

To be clear, I am not disagreeing with you, Saber.  I was/am probably like you described, as are some others I know.  There seems to be no pattern that I can discern for who cares about petty things like the type of fone they and others have.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this was in response to me you may have misunderstood what I was asking.  My question was "How many people here accept all calls?"  There was nothing more to it.  What you stated was one of the methods I used between my early period of answering all calls (no caller id on real landlines), and my current refusal to answer any.

True that many people especially the younger look to others for correctness in their actions hoping to please them or avoid their petty wrath mongering. With time though you do tend to adopt an attitude toward others that what they judge you on doesn't matter nor did it ever amount to much to worry on about.
I wish someone would tell that to the people in my neighborhood that are 70+ (Whoever the couple is that owns the place next to me, but don't live in it, nor have any intention of renting or selling it, kinda suck...they complained when our grass got "too long" after our lawnmower broke, before I was able to repair it, but I don't think they have cut their own this year.  Check the calendar.  It is just grass, let it grow.  Plus the rabbits and frogs like the grass a bit longer.).  Also, maybe the people in their 30s through 50s that I interact with that are some very prominent examples of what I described.  Things like keeping up with the Joneses is specifically what I am talking about, in case anyone isn't following me.

To be clear, I am not disagreeing with you, Saber.  I was/am probably like you described, as are some others I know.  There seems to be no pattern that I can discern for who cares about petty things like the type of fone they and others have.
I wasn't answering your question directly but what you said got me thinking about answering calls on a Pyra blind via the shoulder buttons and how to deal with the issue of unwanted/telemarketing calls without having to remove the device from your pocket, open it and look at the screen. What I was doing was making a tangential statement inspired by your post but not in direct reply to it or the specific question asked within it.

To answer your question however, I pretty much always answer any call I receive even if I don't recognise the number. I only really don't answer if I'm busy, in a meeting or avoiding that specific person for some reason.

The following is not in reply to you:

While using a Pyra as a phone without some sort of external headphone/mic arrangement would be a bit embarassing and look daft I'm more concerned with fumbling and dropping it than how silly it might look. Whether I get a 3G/4G or wifi only Pyra depends mostly on what data plan or contract I can get at the time and whether it will allow tethering. Though wifi tethering has the drawback of having to rely on my phones battery for internet access, switching sims and not having a proper phone on me has issues of its own and I don't really want to have a contract and separate simm card just for the Pyra.

I wasn't answering your question directly but what you said got me thinking about answering calls on a Pyra blind via the shoulder buttons and how to deal with the issue of unwanted/telemarketing calls without having to remove the device from your pocket, open it and look at the screen. What I was doing was making a tangential statement inspired by your post but not in direct reply to it or the specific question asked within it.
Funny, one of your earlier posts is what made me wonder if anyone still blindly answers all calls.  If we can assign individual files to be played for different contacts or groups, and a default ringtone as well, that would greatly help with knowing who is calling since we don't have an external display.  

It would also be nice if we could assign vibration patterns for those times when sound is low or off.  Hopefully the Pyra volume won't be too easy to accidentally turn up or down when putting it into a pocket, or while it is stored in one.  On the Pandora that area is recessed, and I have never noticed it being an issue the few times I carried it that way.

While using a Pyra as a phone without some sort of external headphone/mic arrangement would be a bit embarassing and look daft I'm more concerned with fumbling and dropping it than how silly it might look.
That is a really good point.  There might be a place for a wrist strap like on the Pandora.

I always had plans, including prepaid, that provided me with more than enough minutes for all calls, both outgoing and incoming.  Limiting the calls you answer would help ensure you don't run out of minutes, and may be why even the ones with few minutes were enough for me.  The only plans I know of that don't have unlimited text messages are some very basic ones, but it is pretty messed up that the customer is charged for received texts since they have no control over how many are sent to them.

I blindly answer calls. If they're telemarketing I then promptly end the calls by saying "No, thank you. Have a nice day!" and hanging up without waiting for reply. Those calls come in maybe once or twice in a month. My plan has no restrictions on received calls or texts. Why shouldn't I?

While using a Pyra as a phone without some sort of external headphone/mic arrangement would be a bit embarassing and look daft I'm more concerned with fumbling and dropping it than how silly it might look.
That is a really good point.  There might be a place for a wrist strap like on the Pandora.
A strap that loops over the left corner(nearest the comma) then over and/or under to the stylus slot, then onward to the lanyard hole and back again to the left corner again or something. Maybe. :)    

I just hope the final price of the 3G/4G version is ~$700 because that's how much I budgeted.

Back