It's the speed that counts.

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow Member

2. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

I suspect that the ask was for an update on where Form Action is with the 500 cases being produced. Example: Have machines started pushing plastic into molds? Have the 500 been created? Is there a delivery date? Are they done... OK, so that gets into the highly unlikely area...

The last we heard about these was that Form Action believed that the shoulder buttons were fixed and @EvilDragon had ordered the 500 to be produced.

Swordfish II and Xcl4m4t10n like this.
  3. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Yes, I know what Tritium is. I'm just saying that just because my watch has that written on the bezel doesn't really mean anything when it comes to slightly dodgy old watches of unknown origin; the only remarkable thing about it is that it was apparently featured once in an episode of The Champions, which gives a fix on the age of the thing but nothing else really.

There's no battery in the thing; it's entirely clockwork.

4. Hồng Thất Công

Hồng Thất Công Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp

What happened to the Aluminum case?? :)

5. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

An aluminum case would block WiFi & 4G.

However... We're all worried about color and texture and finger prints, but there are several plastics compounds that can double or more the thermal conductivity of regular polycarbonate. Higher sustained clock rates by transferring and distributing heat better maybe?

Djhg2000 and Silent-Hunter like this.
  6. Confuzzled

Confuzzled Still Fresh

I'm assuming EvilDragon can promote this to a separate topic if he desires, but I saw some discussion on the mailing list about which Linux kernel to use for the Pyra to start off with, even if just to enable testing.

Greg Kroah-Hartman has a page up on his blog about this topic. It is at kroah.com: What Stable Kernel Should I Use? (2018-08-24)

If you follow his method (which is probably a good idea), then choosing one of the Long Term Support (LTS) kernels appears to be sensible.

Kernels categories are listed at The Linux Kernel Archives: Active kernel releases
    note that 4.19 is expected to be an LTS kernel, and Softpedia quotes an exchange between Greg Kroah-Hartman and LTSI as saying that it will be (Softpedia).

So if EvilDragon is looking to choose a kernel, I would suggest that 4.14 or 4.19 are reasonably good candidates, unless there are extremely good reasons for choosing a non-LTS kernel.

In case you are wondering who LTSI are, their web-presence makes it clear:

(Edit to add: on the Pengutronix blog, there is an interesting article covering kernel choice for embedded systms. (Pengutronix blog: What Kernel Should I Use (Embedded Edition))​

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Haraldur and Failbert like this.
  7. Djhg2000

Djhg2000 Very Active Member

This might be a hot topic, but I'd prefer a kernel release that's signed off by Linus rather than Greg. I'm sure Greg has done a good job, but now that Linus is back I'd prefer to have his direct seal of approval on the release.

I don't think we need to rush a rebase of the patches either and the next point release of 4.19 should be signed off by Linus, so this might not even be relevant by the time we pick a new kernel.

8. Confuzzled

Confuzzled Still Fresh

To be honest, having just have a look around the Letux project Letux kernel home page, and having read their philosophy, I don't think they'll let EvilDragon go far wrong.

I especially like the pushing of patches upstream, because for long-term use and support, you get closer and closer to being able to use a plain 'vanilla' mainline kernel - it means doing some extra work now to avoid a great deal of extra work in future.

Haraldur likes this.
  9. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

It is getting frustrating as the cases were reported done and ordered a long time ago, now there are more tweeks and the cases are ordered.

crazyhorse likes this.
  10. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

tweets:

Drezrek, gunrock, den Tim and 16 others like this.
  11. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

Nice! Good news!
    I hope the clear cases are available soon as I need one to have a new leather holster made.
    In due time, if/when EvilDragon updates the case I'll have a new one made I guess.

CommanderB and ClockworkCoder like this.
  12. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

That is huge news :)

13. AnimatedFreak

AnimatedFreak Very Active Member

Sweet, let's hope that the shoulder buttons will meet ED's standards for quality buttons.

14. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

Sounds indeed pretty good,
    So the Episode whit the old Case Company is done,
    Lets hope the new kernel shows that everything is ok
    So full Steam ahaid for massproduktion

15. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

Lets hope the new company is really as willing and eager to make it a succes as they seem now.

Djhg2000, Swordfish II, rygD and 3 others like this.
  16. ashcloud

ashcloud Lactose Intolerant Volcano

Yes! Finally some great news. Maybe we'll get the Pyra before Christmas after all? I know, that's barely over a year of time left, but a guy can dream, right?

dfkman, error, Mese96 and 4 others like this.
  17. DSKyqo

DSKyqo Still Fresh

No toots?

18. javaJake

javaJake Jacob Godserv

Two months, the dream.

Djhg2000, error and FBnil like this.
  19. Coupo

Coupo Still Fresh

Well this is realy great news!

I like, how everything seems to come to a positiv conclousion.

20. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

Looks like EOMA68 will be ready in 2 months too. 2019 is shaping up to be a good year :)

error and tarator like this.