It's the keyboard layout.

True story I once worked on phone support for a short while and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I realised I was waiting for the guy to find the any key... Was so tempted to ask him if he still had the box....

Oh for a layout that had the control keyboard actually on the keyboard! Rather useful when doing maintenance via SSH on various systems...
If you mean a Control key, and you don't want to hold Select(which is Left Control) or shoulder R1(which is Right Control), why not map one of the keyboard Left Shifts to it, if you are backed into a corner that is? 
But there IS one that does this the way the user wants to use his keyboard.  Actual Alt and Control (Ctrl) keys on the keyboard in a usable position where the end user would expect to find them.  No Vulcan death grip to reach the center keys in combination with others required - even without using the shoulder buttons.

There is a proposal that meets this user's needs.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/b863ac229b0af4b0f46d5e73ca3104b8

Key pairs retained.  Keys present where the user expects them to be - or as near to that as possible.  Fully functional F1-F12 keys.  Language support clearly stated.  AltGr (Right Alt) retains it's capability if a non-US keyboard map is assigned at the OS level.

Pure love.

Updated my layout. A variety of changes. 

• Changed the name of the prime modifier from AltGr to Fn. Wrote what Fn really is, or might be, in the layout's summary block.
  • Arranged the brackets to how they look on a U.S. keyboard(and probably several others). 
  • Restricted the Shift + Fn values to only the usual U.S. shifted values for ` [ ] \ ; ' / which are ~ { } | : " ? and of course the German Umlauts and some additional diacritics(mentioned in the summary key). I didn't write it in but Fn + u could be dead key for the Caron diacritic. We'll see.
  • Kept Euro instead of Section Sign on Fn + L. I think more people know of the currency symbol. This is a good location to remap over with lowercase and uppercase å æ ç or ż and the like if people loathe Compose sequences.
  • Added a suggestion to have Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause Break at the top two keys under Fn to the left of Power. Fn and the other two top keys, BT and WiFi, for _wb_ could be GPS and HDMI toggles. 
  • Cleaned up the picture a little. 
I've been fighting a cold for the past week or more, so I apologize if I've been a little cranky and short-tempered. I dislike being sick now that the weather is warmer.  :)   :wub:

Anyways... 

v1.1 http://i.imgur.com/uvEPf3B.png

uvEPf3B.png
A list of Compose key sequences can be found here.

Previous layouts in my sig.
I like that one.

The Shift + FN keys are great to get maybe ¹²³¼½¬ as unlabeled keys as well.

• Changed the name of the prime modifier from AltGr to Fn. Wrote what Fn really is, or might be, in the layout's summary block.
  • Arranged the brackets to how they look on a U.S. keyboard(and probably several others). 
  • Restricted the Shift + Fn values to only the usual U.S. shifted values for ` [ ] \ ; ' / which are ~ { } | : " ? and of course the German Umlauts and some additional diacritics(mentioned in the summary key). I didn't write it in but Fn + u could be dead key for the Caron diacritic. We'll see.
  • Kept Euro instead of Section Sign on Fn + L. I think more people know of the currency symbol. This is a good location to remap over with lowercase and uppercase å æ ç or ż and the like if people loathe Compose sequences.
  • Added a suggestion to have Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause Break at the top two keys under Fn to the left of Power. Fn and the other two top keys, BT and WiFi, for _wb_ could be GPS and HDMI toggles. 
I've been fighting a cold for the past week or more, so I apologize if I've been a little cranky and short-tempered. I dislike being sick now that the weather is warmer.  :)   :wub:

Anyways... 

uvEPf3B.png

I like that one.

Perhaps, but not on the number row, because then you can no longer do Shift-F1 etc.

Anyways... 

uvEPf3B.png

I like that one.

Perhaps, but not on the number row, because then you can no longer do Shift-F1 etc.

Right.

I still would like to see ° on Saber's layout

What do you need ° for? Temperatures? It's available as Compose o o, isn't that good enough?

All these symbols like ¤ § ° µ ≥ ≤ ≠ × ÷ ½  ¼ ¾ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ¿ ¡ © ® ¶ ¹ ² ³ « » £ ¥ ± ‰ and so on, I know there exist keyboards that have those, but do we really need them labeled explicitly on our keyboard? I just entered all of these by using Compose, and I didn't have to look anything up, because it's easy enough to guess the Compose sequence. I cannot imagine that anyone needs such symbols very frequently.

The set of (printable) ASCII characters is a nice and well-defined set. I'm hesitant to include any non-ASCII character, because I see no good reason to include some of them (like °) and not others (like ©).

What do you need ° for? Temperatures? It's available as Compose o o, isn't that good enough?

All these symbols like ¤ § ° µ ≥ ≤ ≠ × ÷ ½  ¼ ¾ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ¿ ¡ © ® ¶ ¹ ² ³ « » £ ¥ ± ‰ and so on, I know there exist keyboards that have those, but do we really need them labeled explicitly on our keyboard? I just entered all of these by using Compose, and I didn't have to look anything up, because it's easy enough to guess the Compose sequence. I cannot imagine that anyone needs such symbols very frequently.

The set of (printable) ASCII characters is a nice and well-defined set. I'm hesitant to include any non-ASCII character, because I see no good reason to include some of them (like °) and not others (like ©).
I'm not familiar with all the compose sequences.

If I can access it I'm fine.

I don't know what µ is used for.

Is it for something specific? I don't mind writing micro SD instead of µSD.

I don't know what µ is used for. Is it for something specific? I don't mind writing micro SD instead of µSD.
Other units of measure that require Micro, but yeah I don't understand the need for the degree or micro symbols to be marked on the keyboard.

I don't know what µ is used for. Is it for something specific? I don't mind writing micro SD instead of µSD.
Other units of measure that require Micro, but yeah I don't understand the need for the degree or micro symbols to be marked on the keyboard.
What would you replace Micro with then?

At the moment I can't think of any other symbol than degree or micro.

I would favor degree as it's on a standard Keyboard (at least in Germany).

What would you replace Micro with then? At the moment I can't think of any other symbol than degree or micro.   I would favor degree as it's on a standard Keyboard (at least in Germany).
Not sure myself, typical English keyboard doesn't include either. Since the German keyboard does have degree then sure I can see some validity for it being there. If there is room for it then I'd say put degree and micro on the keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these symbols: ¤ § ° µ ≥ ≤ ≠ × ÷ ½  ¼ ¾ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ¿ ¡ © ® ¶ ¹ ² ³ « » £ ¥ ± ‰ exist on "standard" keyboards. Problem is that there are quite a lot of standards. I think it's very arbitrary to have µ § ° ² ³ which are on German keyboards, but not ¬ ¦ £ which are on UK keyboards, or ½ ¤ which are on Swedish keyboards, etc.

What would you replace Micro with then? At the moment I can't think of any other symbol than degree or micro.   I would favor degree as it's on a standard Keyboard (at least in Germany).
Not sure myself, typical English keyboard doesn't include either. Since the German keyboard does have degree then sure I can see some validity for it being there. If there is room for it then I'd say put degree and micro on the keyboard.
Degree as _wb_ said is Compose + o + o, and Micro is Compose + m+ u with Section Sign sequenced as Compose + s + o(or o + s). Some of the more trivial symbols to most.

I think Fn + m should be Context Menu. That's about where it is on larger keyboards. Then from _wb_'s layout, we put a Super(logo) key where Menu was.   

My latest layouts are in my sig. 

Most prefered one for me.

Its a clear layout.

Only those ö,ä,ü could left for me. Its to specific for the world (opinion as german guy)

I hope that if ED decides to have two keyboard shifts, that the underlying hardware codes are distinguishable. Otherwise you end up not being able to remap the keyboard shifts independently, which would be a loss for flexibility.

I'd prefer not to have two keyboard shifts myself, but perhaps I am a vocal minority.

Why have a shift on the RIGHT of the keyboard called left shift??? Why duplicate the same key?

If you want two shifts on the keyboard why not the two different shifts?

If you want shifts on the shoulder buttons than thats the place for duplicates(of the main board)

Back