It's software this time!

Should davesha skip the queue so he can work directly on the Pyra?

• Yes

Votes: 174 99.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Could it be that i am not educated enough for the Pyra ??
I am probably the least educated person here. I could at best be described as a handyman. I spent the half day changing outs from cream to white, and the other half instally drywall. If I can use a Prya, I am pretty sure you can. :)

Even without 3d support by the time I get it amd its stuck at cli, its still good for me. C* would make it a great music player, mplayer + libcaca for video, and Links 2 for a browser. Hell, for 2 years my main browser was Links2 on a psp, The prya is probably better. And certainly better controls and battery. It would go everywhere with me.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Justified in this case means that it is backed up by evidence. Justified true belief is not an oxymoron, it's just the epistemological stance that knowledge are beliefs that are true and backed by proof or evidence.
Okay, fine. They're using a slightly different meaning to the word 'believe' that I choose to. But it's not so different that I have a problem understanding it now you've said what you meant.
Also, what do you mean by becoming true?
I mean the way scientific theories occasionally become truths. I think I thought of an example where that had happened earlier, but I've forgotten it now.

Edit: I mean a truth to something that has a probability of 1 of happening under the specified circumstances. Most theories top out at 0.999999 or something like that.

We have no ability to directly detect "Dark Matter".
The key is that "Dark Matter" is (was) "detected" by a difference of the rotation rate of spiral galaxies to the visible mass distribution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter .
This is sort of "optical detection" and is the original reason we know of it.
From that, astronomers conclude that there must be invisible mass in the Galaxies or there would not be spiral arms.
But nobody knows for sure what this invisible mass consists of. And therefore, there are multiple theories which make predictions the experimentators are looking to be proven or ruled out.
But there is also something called "Dark Energy" which makes the difference to the total mass/energy of the universe.
In my understanding, it is not postulated that this "Dark Matter" is evenly distributed like in your density calculation, rather the opposite.
Anyways, this does not exclude your "invisible neutron" model immediately.
But beware: there is neutron decay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_neutron_decay
So they will become visible with a half life time of ca. 10 minutes...
To stay on topic: maybe the proposed dark neutrons vanish faster than the Pyra replaces them :)

Last edited:
Could it be that i am not educated enough for the Pyra ??
Go to Mediathek or youtube and look for Harald Lesch. He'll educate you. :)
You are right, though. I had not taken free neutron decay into account. The next, and probably better, fit to this would be highly diffuse hydrogen. Which has near enough the same mass as a neutron. Which would still be undetectable by today's means at a density of <= 2.5 atoms of Hydrogen per cubic meter of intergalactic space.
From afar it would be visually more dense than from up close and if those vasts are vast enough to make up a significant portion of your field of view, you should recognize it. (here, by visually dense I mean particles per angle in your field of view)

I think that freetechbooks.com, soilandhealth.org, archive.org, and some Youtube channels such as https://www.youtube.com/user/MIT are good for education. And there are many more. Springerlink recently had hundreds of educational books for free download and there was a script that could be used to download all of them. There's definitely not a shortage of educational content on the Internet.

I mean the way scientific theories occasionally become truths. I think I thought of an example where that had happened earlier, but I've forgotten it now.

to borrow a phrase from MLK Jr.: the arc of science is long, but it bends towards truth.

science experiments try to tell you what happens when you do X, so you can repeat it if you want. science theories tell you the model behind those behaviors, so you can predict what would happen in a similar situation, Y, without having to do the experiment. all theories currently have limits (and i suspect always will), so if you push past the limit, Z is a situation that won't return results that are in agreement with experiment.

new theories will then try to explain Z and other similar situations, but they tend to be harder to compute. but unless they return the original theory as a limiting case (i.e. in situations similar to X), they are pretty much garbage. Einstein's relativity becomes Newton's laws at low energy/speeds. general relativity also becomes the classical law of gravitation when the speed of light is taken to be infinitely large.

I can’t fit a book in my Pocket, so I went to a E-Book Reader which is now part of my EDC ,
I read a lot, but mostly entertainment books like from Terry Prattchet or Stephen King ..

Projekt Gutenberg also got a loot of education books

Whit best regards, Matthias

Yeah, Project Gutenberg is great too. I collect e-books in a Calibre Library so that I can easily find books on a topic if I'm interested. I've got almost 5000 books right now. Sometimes I get randomly interested in a certain topic and it's nice to just search it on my own computer and easily find something without even needing online access. I'm definitely going to move them over to the Pyra for easy reading on the go.

I use my "Kobo Aura One SE" e-reader pretty much daily. The best feature? Overdrive. It allows me to check out e-books for free from my public library directly on the e-reader and download books from Project Gutenberg using the built-in web browser on the e-reader. One of the best device purchases I have ever made.

@matzesu I don't know what portions of their works have been translated into German, but you might want to check out:
Dean Koontz - start with the Odd Thomas series.
John Sandford - start with the Singular Menace series.

Here's a nice read on the subject of dark matter (or rather no dark matter):

On another note, what happened to the tv show Dark Matter?

I got all three series on DVD after I watched the first series and really enjoyed it (though I missed a few episodes when it was airing). Probably need to rewatch the first series before I carry on, as it's been a while

Sorry y'all, no Pyra today it seems :'(

Screenshot from 2020-07-22 16-16-18.png

Back