It's software this time!

Should davesha skip the queue so he can work directly on the Pyra?

• Yes

Votes: 174 99.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Speaking of software, what is the OpenGL landscape like at the moment? Is full OpenGL supported, or just OpenGL ES? Is Vulkan in the cards at all?

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

At the moment only X11 is working reliably. I have tried Wayland a bit with the new 1.17 drivers as it doesn't seem to work with the 1.14 drivers and it does run well (and can do its own accelerated rotation so doesn't need any TILER patches). Once the issues with the 1.17 drivers are ironed out, then Wayland is definitely going to be an option on the Pyra.

Please keep the option to select between X11 and Wayland, if reasonably possible, for us oldschool staff. Some of us have a ton of X11 clients we would like to run on server hardware while displaying on Pyra...

I personally have no plans to drop X11 support - it is what I want to get reliably working first and keep working.

The 1.17 GPU blobs don't seem to be supposed to support X11 unfortunately, but there is no reason to move on from the 1.14 that we are currently using. I am looking into a solution for the long term to get the 1.17 blobs and X11 working together, people using Wayland or X11 can use the same GPU driver.

But all this is for the long term, the short term work is all X11 and the 1.14 driver version.

Please keep the option to select between X11 and Wayland, if reasonably possible, for us oldschool staff. Some of us have a ton of X11 clients we would like to run on server hardware while displaying on Pyra...

for what its worth;
wayland has xwayland for compatibilty and it works well enough on my desktop to play Dolphin emu in both opengl and vulkan.
so you should't be afraid of loosing support for apps that only support X... though given there could be a few apps thathas issues running like that, I don't know of any.

for what its worth;
wayland has xwayland for compatibilty and it works well enough on my desktop to play Dolphin emu in both opengl and vulkan.
so you should't be afraid of loosing support for apps that only support X... though given there could be a few apps thathas issues running like that, I don't know of any.

Wayland did not offer network transparency last time I've checked. Did something change on that front?

Not that I've heard, but if you're running wayland on your Pyra and use xwayland to act as a server for client software running on other machines, that might well work. It wouldn't work the other way round for sure though.

I am too late to vote in the poll, but I vote yes. Given the choice between getting incorrect results sooner versus getting correct results later, I choose the latter.

Maybe ED needed the Boards Server Power for the Massproduktion, or it was just for maintainends or how this is spelled..

But just a tiny update on the MP would be good,

- Are the Cases now Coated in Black/ Dark Chrome
- Is the last remaining part of the Heatsink now there,
- and are the CPU Board, Main Board and Display Board for Pyra 28 (technically 29 because i voted yes) ready ??

Any date for mass production? Ed has everything required now I believe? Or is it software we are waiting on? Hit the big red button Ed... kaboom... Pyras....!!!

Probably end of July / early August.
The PCBs have all been populated already, only waiting for the heat spreaders and the case coating, everything else is already done.

The server was down because the rootfs was out of storage :D

The PCBs have all been populated already, only waiting for the heat spreaders and the case coating, everything else is already done.

Great news to hear, thank you! :D

Looks like there may still be a couple of issues: (screenshot taken after two consecutive, unsuccessful attempts searching for “heat spreaders”)

Attachments

• 8C5E2C61-CDBA-4A6B-B4DD-9741E07DD7D0.jpeg
    8C5E2C61-CDBA-4A6B-B4DD-9741E07DD7D0.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Brilliant. So its mostly just assembly left to do. Are black and chrome the confirmed colours? Will there be any other colour options later? So are 500 pcbs populated? If I remember that is the full amount pre-ordered.

Back