It's software this time!

Should davesha skip the queue so he can work directly on the Pyra?

• Yes

Votes: 174 99.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Is this the Micro USB 3.0 ??
It’s from a Card Reader
e8003b7893e3719df85715e093e1047b.jpg

Whit best regards, Matthias
IMHO, Yes!

Yes, I believe that to be right, yes. My only comment is that that cable seems to be the weediest cable I've yet seen given it's carrying a whole three twisted pairs, so I'd expect it to fail sooner rather than later, but provided it doesn't break before you get your Pyra it should work for you.

Yes - that is the right connector on the cable to connect to a Pyra. However, as @levi said above, that is a very light gauge cable. It might work okay for data transport, but I wouldn't try to charge through it. My Pyra draws up to 1.8 A.

Another note - that being a -device- cable, it is designed to connect to (and hypothetically supply power to) a device. Connecting the Pyra with that would have the Pyra as the device (not the host), which is fine for charging or 'seeing' the Pyra from a computer.

The above cable references for people wanting to find a 'good OTG' cable for the Pyra deals with using the Pyra as the host over the same type of connector. I.e. being able to connect USB 3.0 SS -devices- to the microUSB 3.0 port on the Pyra. For that you need a different type of cable. It will have the same connector as @matzesu pictured above, but will typically have a female USB 3.0 port on the other end to plug -whatever- into for the Pyra to see as a device connected to the Pyra.

This is what a microUSB 3.0 OTG cable looks like:

61mXWCEicLL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It's perhaps worth mentioning at this point that the Pyra is equipped as supplied with two USB-type A ports which are defined as host ports. One of them also supports the SATA dongle, but all type A ports should support low-speed, full-speed and high-speed USB devices, just not super-speed ones. Thus unlike on the Pandora, you can attach simple USB1 low-speed or full-speed devices to either of those ports just fine, so you no longer need an OTG cable to do that. You will need an OTG cable if you want to get the full super-speed goodness out of hard discs and things like that, but I'm still rocking USB2 ports on my laptop and my server and even copy gigabytes of data out of them over USB quite regularly. You just have to wait a bit for it to complete. USB2 is fast enough for photos, music and even high-def video and probably even 4k video to be transferred as you watch them.

Thanks, so i think this is reason enought to shop some new cables, as i also want a USBC to Micro USB Cable so i can connect this Samsung Tablet to the Guitar Interface, because whit this bigger screen, i hope i can use the dials much easear..

But i could also use my Micro USB Roll On Cable whit Adapters for USB C and Lightning that also worked well for Charging my Switch and Iphone to charge the Pyra? Even if its not that fast as this Micro USB 3 ?
I dotnt want to put that many data on the Pyra, as my Roms are Allready on the SDXC Card from my Pandora, but if i need to, its good to know which cable its needs..

USB3.x where x is less than 2 (because USB3.2 basically means USB-C) supports no more power modes than USB2 did once the battery charging directives had been written.

Basically, only connect 5V chargers to whichever socket you prefer. It will take up to 2.1A of juice from it, which is a lot faster than the Pandora ever charged. As long as it's 5V the battery charging circuitry will negotiate how much charge to pull in, because that's the way electronics work; define the voltage, and you can control the current flowing according to the effective load. But if you connect a higher voltage to it, sparks are likely to fly I suspect.

Almost all greather-than-5V USB chargers (other than the sort of thing that might come with a really dodgy set of Christmas lights) still start out at 5V and increase the voltage after a command to (a specific communication sequence using current pulses, or using the USB type-C CC wires). As the Pyra should hopefully never send this command, such chargers should never actually output more than 5V.

The charging chip itself is actually protected against overvoltages against 15V, but sadly other components connected to Vbus aren't (the FTDI on the debug port, and the TWL6037 Vbus detection) so an overvoltage probably wouldn't end well.

Im Using a good Anker USB Power Supply on my Desctop, so this should work whit the Pyra, its even powerd up the GPD WIN whyle Farming Sim was running, so i think it should at least work..

Its dosnt make much sense to make the Pyra Available in the next 2 Months (tm), if you cant charge it..

USB3.x where x is less than 2 (because USB3.2 basically means USB-C) supports no more power modes than USB2 did once the battery charging directives had been written.

Basically, only connect 5V chargers to whichever socket you prefer. It will take up to 2.1A of juice from it, which is a lot faster than the Pandora ever charged. As long as it's 5V the battery charging circuitry will negotiate how much charge to pull in, because that's the way electronics work; define the voltage, and you can control the current flowing according to the effective load. But if you connect a higher voltage to it, sparks are likely to fly I suspect.

There is likely still work being done on the charging circuit from the software side, so the following is regarding ONLY to my direct experience with Marble (my Pyra prototype). Both scenarios used the exact same cable connected to the exact same 2A USB charger port under the same conditions. Measurements were done with an in-line USB measuring device that has proven quite reliable in it's readings.

Connecting a microUSB 2.0 charging cable to the microUSB charging/data port results in the Pyra prototype drawing no more than 0.49 A.

Connecting the same microUSB 2.0 charging cable to the microUSB 3.0 OTG charging/data port (using only one side of the wide one) results in the Pyra prototype drawing 1.88 A initially then curving downward over time to around 0.6 A (as the battery tops off).

Again, there is likely more to be done with how charging management works over these two ports. But, for now, I have found that if I want to charge my Pyra, it is best to connect to the microUSB 3.0 OTG port.

That behaviour all makes sense based on the schematic.

Looks like the magical charger detection inside the bq24297 battery charger chip (checking for various voltage and resistance possibilities on D+/D- to determine if the port is high current capable) is always connected to the microUSB3 OTG port rather than the microUSB2 console port.

So when using the console port the charger will use the safe default of 500mA that any port should be able to provide.

It is probably possible to override this in software by using the bq24297's I2C interface to set a new current limit. But that does create a risk of overload if it is connected to a computer - usually that will just cause the USB port to turn off momentarily, but on some older motherboards it could power off the whole machine.

It is probably possible to override this in software by using the bq24297's I2C interface to set a new current limit. But that does create a risk of overload if it is connected to a computer - usually that will just cause the USB port to turn off momentarily, but on some older motherboards it could power off the whole machine.
yes
Code:
echo 2000000 >/sys/class/power_supply/bq24297/input_current_limit
does the trick on the pyra side.

Has nobody else noticed some new pyra related items for sale at dragonbox shop? ;)
I'll leave the surprise to you

Yes, zedr0k spotted it towards the end of the previous page, posted yesterday. This is a busy thread. But you're only the second to post about it, and the first on this page, so I'll let you off ;)

Edit: Oh hey, new page. The context of this post is the new pyra items on the dragonbox shoppe, and refers to a post currently on page 14 of this thread.

Regarding reviewers to send a production model to:
I've watched a video from Brian Lynduke, a long time Linux (mostly Debian) user and renowned speaker on Linux conventions.
He just posted this video:
And I thought:
this is exactly the guy we (or at least I) would want to review the Pyra.
He has knowledge of Linux, little projects, he knows the Linux community and he loves OLDSCOOL handhelds!
Just have a watch and see for yourselves.

Back