It reminds me of the Pandora!

Everyone seems to send links round twitter or other fora. I guess everything remains hidden and private within discord itself but you can make it more public by posting the link.

I followed a discord link once. I managed to configure my security setup to make it work, but it worked so slowly and clunkily, I couldn't see any benfit to it over IRC.

That's a good, positive outlook, although it's important to remember why we need to preach about why exactly "open software is good" - and the one of the biggest reasons is that it is not proprietary.

You're mistaking the cart for the horse here. Saying that "open source software is good because it is not proprietary" is the same thing as saying "watermelons are good because they aren't lemons". They are 2 different kinds of software, and one isn't good or bad because it isn't the other. What makes open software loved (and in many cases, preferable to proprietary software) is the ability to go in and modify it ourselves to add missing features or fix issues. However, a well-supported proprietary software is often times more preferable to open software that has little to no support. It all depends on how well each is serving their purpose.

-God Ginrai

ED, are you working on a new carrying case for the Pyra? Any chance if so, it won’t have the extra room up top and might be a bit more form fitting? Knowing how brittle the Pandora’s plastic was, I never tossed it into my bag with the case because I knew it could flop in there.

Im not an official Speaker of ED, but affaik, there is no plan for an new Carry Case yet, simply because the Hard Case firts also the Pyra, and he have still a lot of them lying around in his shop storage ^^

You're mistaking the cart for the horse here. Saying that "open source software is good because it is not proprietary" is the same thing as saying "watermelons are good because they aren't lemons". They are 2 different kinds of software, and one isn't good or bad because it isn't the other. What makes open software loved (and in many cases, preferable to proprietary software) is the ability to go in and modify it ourselves to add missing features or fix issues. However, a well-supported proprietary software is often times more preferable to open software that has little to no support. It all depends on how well each is serving their purpose.

-God Ginrai
I love watermelons and open source software equally.

What do you mean RocketChat and BigBlueButton integration? How exactly does that integration work? Do you have any examples?

I am really interested.

Thanks!
RocketChat is like Slack, a Chat platform with rooms etc.
Jitsi is integrated via tokens.
there is an option inside the administration of Rocketchat to connect to Jitsi or BBB (BigBlueButton) Servers.
When you set it up correctly, there is a phone button inside RocketChat and the RocketChat app.
When you push that button, a videoconference is startet, who everybody in the room you pushed the button in may enter.
You can also invite guests inside you videoconference.
I don't know, if thats what you wanted to know, if not, just let me know.

RocketChat is like Slack, a Chat platform with rooms etc.
Jitsi is integrated via tokens.
there is an option inside the administration of Rocketchat to connect to Jitsi or BBB (BigBlueButton) Servers.
When you set it up correctly, there is a phone button inside RocketChat and the RocketChat app.
When you push that button, a videoconference is startet, who everybody in the room you pushed the button in may enter.
You can also invite guests inside you videoconference.
I don't know, if thats what you wanted to know, if not, just let me know.
Is this difficult to set up? It sounds like a perfect replacement for Discord.

My problem is convincing others to switch off popular programs like Discord and such.
Same here to switch to xmpp. I did manage to move my parents to it though, using pix-art messenger on Android. Phone and video calls are not really usable yet but it will improve I think (we use jitsi for that, which is also based on xmpp by the way)

Is this difficult to set up? It sounds like a perfect replacement for Discord.
It's actually not that hard, the best way to go, even if I normally don't like containers, is docker, at least for Jitsi.
They got a pretty scetchy prosody integration, which is nearly impossible to get to run for the token mechanism with normal packages.
But the docker image works absoutely stable.

Regarding user switching:
Corona made many people think again about where they do their chatting and video conferencing.
I've moved guite some customers and my whole family and friends :)

The more I think about it:
I have a big server in at Hetzners.
I could set up a RocketChat/ Jitsi Server if you guys like.
@EvilDragon would just have to set two A Records for the IP like chat.dragonbox.de and video.dragonbox.de.
But I would set up a poll before, to see, if enough peaple are willing to switch over.
The mods here would get equal access to Rocketchat.

Discord has apparently started deleting people's servers with no explanation. If they keep doing that, people will be looking for an alternative.
Never heard of that, but I doubt it's wide spread.

It's actually not that hard, the best way to go, even if I normally don't like containers, is docker, at least for Jitsi.
They got a pretty scetchy prosody integration, which is nearly impossible to get to run for the token mechanism with normal packages.
But the docker image works absoutely stable.
I've always had issues with Docker before, but I can give this a try. How big should the VM's virtual disk be? And how much RAM? For all three. I was gonna have RC, Jitsi, and BBB in one VM.

I've always had issues with Docker before, but I can give this a try. How big should the VM's virtual disk be? And how much RAM? For all three. I was gonna have RC, Jitsi, and BBB in one VM.
I dont like docker either.
The amount of RAM is mostly defined by the number of users.
4 GB is a good start.
For virtual disk: nearly nothing (20Gigs, so you have reserves to upgrade your containers) except, when users start uploading pictures and videos to Rocket Chat.

Back