Is it time to resurrect the Dev Fund?

How about this: if someone says "I will do X for Y money" then raise that money. Putting together money then trying to lure in someone to do it (who wouldn't have otherwise) hasn't been proven very successful in this sort of community.

Bounties work sometimes in other projects. But it's because there's a maintaining team, usually themselves part of the development effort, that identifies and manages tasks. The goals are much more specific and it's much easier to estimate how much work will be necessary to accomplish it, and it's an environment where new people can easily submit new code without having to manage the entire thing themselves.

I think skip the coding competition.... We should be more interested in milestones. I brought this up recently as well.

Let's generate X for the OS team

Let's generate X for the framework team (PND)

Let's generate X for polished and high quality titles.

Id love to say, hey developer dude, The pandora would be awesome with a awesome polish release of X

Once these conditions are met, pay them some money. :)

For example, a way of using an external controller (IControlPad, PS3 / Wii Classic Controller, USB Dual Analouge Joystick etc.) with a Pandora so there is an option that when using the controller it has the same effect of using the inbuilt Pandora controls. This would make using a TV out cable with Pandora a truly pleasant user experience.
I think the problem with this is that some games look at the hardware directly. Is it possible to fool even these programs into thinking A on the iCP is also A on the Pandora? Right now it's possible to fool those that look at keycodes using qjoypad (which really should be maintained on the Repo, IMO).

[...]

Could the posts belonging to this ^ tree be split into another topic, please? I feel like this is a very important matter, but for a totally different thread - it will, but should not get overlooked here.

For example, a way of using an external controller (IControlPad, PS3 / Wii Classic Controller, USB Dual Analouge Joystick etc.) with a Pandora so there is an option that when using the controller it has the same effect of using the inbuilt Pandora controls. This would make using a TV out cable with Pandora a truly pleasant user experience.
I think the problem with this is that some games look at the hardware directly. Is it possible to fool even these programs into thinking A on the iCP is also A on the Pandora? Right now it's possible to fool those that look at keycodes using qjoypad (which really should be maintained on the Repo, IMO).

[...]

Could the posts belonging to this ^ tree be split into another topic, please? I feel like this is a very important matter, but for a totally different thread - it will, but should not get overlooked here.

no need for a forum topic, I just need to get my Pandora so I can fix this stuff.

A large amount of the Dev fund went to a particular developer who ripped us off.

I have to say that is sort of what killed it, in terms of handing over cash to people.
whining about giving money and expensive prototypes to "dev(s)" who didn't produce and yet active devs who produced stuff and paid for their devices are left waiting.

[...]

no need for a forum topic, I just need to get my Pandora so I can fix this stuff.

A large amount of the Dev fund went to a particular developer who ripped us off.

I have to say that is sort of what killed it, in terms of handing over cash to people.
whining about giving money and expensive prototypes to "dev(s)" who didn't produce and yet active devs who produced stuff and paid for their devices are left waiting.

Welcome to business 101 Craig.

Have you failed to read this thread? I'm suggesting that IS what we do, reward devs who HAVE produced software.

Have you failed to read this thread? I'm suggesting that IS what we do, reward devs who HAVE produced software.

Bingo. I'm all for a developer rewards system - Somebody pays for the Pandora, releases good software, get's money back to cover the cost of the pandora.. WOOT

Last edited by a moderator:
If developers require money for their work they will shout out.. I've seen this plenty of times and if I feel they are worthy of a donation then I would be more than happy to pitch in funds. For example: Notaz does not request donations, if he did then I'd be more than happy to give him some funding but obviously this work is benefiting him elsewhere. I just don't feel comfortable handing my money to one person to "distribute". Sure I trust ED, but I doubt he has time to even start with managing a dev fund.

P.S Why the hell did that last comment warrant a warning?

Tried that here but it seemed to get overlooked, except by PokeParadox :p

How about this: if someone says "I will do X for Y money" then raise that money. Putting together money then trying to lure in someone to do it (who wouldn't have otherwise) hasn't been proven very successful in this sort of community.

That makes sense, but there are times when it would be good to offer funding for projects that nobody has volunteered to undertake, like integration of the Pandora with an external controller or creating a minimal kernel for charging etc.

It would also be good to have a pot of money ready when someone says "I will do X for Y money" and the administrator of the dev fund believes that the proposed project is worthy of funding.

I'd like to see the official dev fund concentrate on OS improvements / Core features and the use of bounties for emulators / provision of specific ports etc.

The other thing I'd like to see with a 'new' dev fund is transparency, IMHO if people voluntarily donate money then they have a right to know broadly speaking how that money is being used. i.e. Totals for money raised / spent / what it was spent on, being on public record.

It's appreciated that there are many aspects of being open & transparent with dev funding could cause problems / jealousy, however on balance the benefits would outweigh the problems IMHO.

Tried that here but it seemed to get overlooked, except by PokeParadox :p
Well your topic specifically was about the iCP. I personally don't care for that thing and think a discussion about a changed or better control interface on the Pandora is a much broader and more important issue.

Notaz does not request donations, if he did then I'd be more than happy to give him some funding but obviously this work is benefiting him elsewhere.

You'll find a link allowing you to donate to Notaz via Paypal at the bottom of the left column on his project page here.

I in no way presume to speak for Notaz or any other dev but in general terms, not asking directly, is not necessarily the same as not wanting / appreciating.

P.S Why the hell did that last comment warrant a warning?

lèse majesté I guess?

Lol agreed :)

Notaz does not request donations, if he did then I'd be more than happy to give him some funding but obviously this work is benefiting him elsewhere.

You'll find a link allowing you to donate to Notaz via Paypal at the bottom of the left column on his project page here.

I in no way presume to speak for Notaz or any other dev but in general terms, not asking directly, is not necessarily the same as not wanting / appreciating.

Ah I didn't see that but very good point. I still disagree that we should hand all the money to "someone". If there's going to be a dev fund then it should be managed elsewhere

Can we aggregate some dev links so I, and others, can easily donate to them?

I'm overdue for donating to all the devs.

Can we aggregate some dev links so I, and others, can easily donate to them?

I'm overdue for donating to all the devs.
Ive been thinking that such a system is needed too.The new website is coming soon and it could do with a proper bounty section.

I can see this working if a humble bundle like approach was taken.. and the money was split between a set number of developers.

Back