What's The Dev Fund?

Timstertoo

I'm about to order a Pandora and the long post I made a second ago about all the accessoires disappeard so I'm trying a quick post now :rolleyes:

What does the dev fund entail exactly? I can come up with something it very well could be (and I'd gladly contribute to) but it's unclear to me what I'll exactly be paying for.

It is currently up in the air. There's been rumors about using it for bounties, contests, or ensuring that key developers get the tools they need, etc... Suffice to say, we've been told it will be used in some way to make the software on the Pandora better. Somehow.
I'm sure OpenPandora has a few plans for it and will post a poll after the Pandora's have shipped.

WizardStan said:
It is currently up in the air. There's been rumors about using it for bounties, contests, or ensuring that key developers get the tools they need, etc... Suffice to say, we've been told it will be used in some way to make the software on the Pandora better. Somehow.
I'm sure OpenPandora has a few plans for it and will post a poll after the Pandora's have shipped.

Thanks for the very quick reply!

I won't be ordering it then with my initial order as it's a bit too unclear for me. I will gladly donate in future though to it once it's clear what it's all about and where the money is going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig said something about possibly using it as bounty for certain things high in demand, ie: Whoever ports X to Pandora first gets $500, thus encouragement to take on the harder projects with big benefits for Pandora users

I gave to the DEV fund as it costs less than flying to shake everyones hand and say "thank you". I'm confident that I will benifit from this as well, even if in some indirect way.

The devfund is already being used to get Pandoras to developers, and once more are out there will be used as an incentive for people to fix issues or reward people for work done. It's not a 'cure all ills' solution, but every little helps.

may88 said:
Whilst I've heard about the Dev Fund. I seem to have missed the advert. Where is it and how does one contribute?

It was on the pricelist you (or at least, I) got after emailing the sales team you were interested. Along with the various accessories, you could buy a 'dev fund' for a couple of dollars.

Vlynndar said:
may88 said:
Whilst I've heard about the Dev Fund. I seem to have missed the advert. Where is it and how does one contribute?

It was on the pricelist you (or at least, I) got after emailing the sales team you were interested. Along with the various accessories, you could buy a 'dev fund' for a couple of dollars.
I ordered end of March 2009 via an email conversation and the Dev Fund was not mentioned at the time.

Craig, Time of a shameless plug. Any way I can donate via PayPal? Just checked the official site - maybe a donate link there???

I recently added it to my order because I want it to be used in part to get machines into devs hands, which it is. Hopefully the app store will give us a further opportunity to reward developers.

may88 said:
Any way I can donate via PayPal? Just checked the official site - maybe a donate link there???
You can also donate to gp32x.de(see right side on the forum's index page).

edit: forgot the 'x', doh!

mali said:
may88 said:
Any way I can donate via PayPal? Just checked the official site - maybe a donate link there???
You can also donate to gp32.com(see right side on the forum's index page).
ok done that. :) I hope to see some performance improvements for my $5. :p

if we had a donation account for a ds/psp emulator, or some kick ass 3d game, i'd be donating for sure.

Isnt this a idea people? make a large sum of money to give away to some kick ass game/app/emulator?

Gruso said:
Sounds good, it just needs a name. How about... dev fund?
yeah, but craigix said the money is being spend on other things.
ok, it will be used to reward a psp/ds emulator if some starts working on it.

But im more talking about bringing much money up to give a boost to a developer wanting to do such a project.

borgqueenx said:
Gruso said:

But im more talking about bringing much money up to give a boost to a developer wanting to do such a project.
borg, you've mentioned this like 50,000 times and Exophase always has to come and post, so I'll do it for him this time:

It takes a LOT more effort to make these things than any amount of money raised will be worth. Someone motivated will have to do the port, no one would do it just for the donations if they weren't already motivated personally.

rabidpoobear said:
borgqueenx said:
Gruso said:

borg, you've mentioned this like 50,000 times and Exophase always has to come and post, so I'll do it for him this time:

It takes a LOT more effort to make these things than any amount of money raised will be worth. Someone motivated will have to do the port, no one would do it just for the donations if they weren't already motivated personally.
yes. but the money will be a boost. not a "payment".
like zodttd. He's asking donations and a small payment for some emulators. He doesnt do that because he wants money for his project(ofcource im not sure), but everyone is being a bit more happy if they can make a bit money with their efforts :)

borgqueenx said:
yes. but the money will be a boost. not a "payment".
like zodttd. He's asking donations and a small payment for some emulators. He doesnt do that because he wants money for his project(ofcource im not sure), but everyone is being a bit more happy if they can make a bit money with their efforts :)
Where did zodttd say he was asking donations or payments? I'm pretty sure he said "I don't expect donations but they're welcome" which is quite different.

Back