Dev Fund Update: Who's Next?


DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 04:35 PM said:
fair enough, but with so many existing game park devvers already sorted for systems, the options are a little limited.

By first choice would be flubba, but has not sounded too committed to the GP cause with all his Big N coding recently, and even mr spiv is shying away from GP.

Maybe we should be hounding the likes of flubba, who is without doubt an oustanding devver to get onboard and we will reward him with a system for his troubles.


Well since FluBBa would only touch a Nintendo system we could send him a GP2X with a fake logo on it like this :p Then maybe he would be interested :D

gp2x_ninty.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

woogal

Certified Guru
Joined
May 15, 2003
Messages
1,823
Age
45
Location
Newark, UK
Website
gp32.sector808.org
x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 05:35 PM said:
and even mr spiv is shying away from GP.
I'd hardly call being in the gp2x irc channels since the day the 2x was announced 'shying away'.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

synkro

0xdeadbeef
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
823
Location
Germany
Website
Visit site
woogal posted on Oct 6 2005 at 06:51 AM said:
x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 05:35 PM said:
and even mr spiv is shying away from GP.
I'd hardly call being in the gp2x irc channels since the day the 2x was announced 'shying away'.

let them kids their weird rumors... spivvy can buy a gp2x by himself ;) but all the poor coders need one asap, like you ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
1,658
Location
Co.Durham, UK
woogal posted on Oct 6 2005 at 06:51 AM said:
x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 05:35 PM said:
and even mr spiv is shying away from GP.
I'd hardly call being in the gp2x irc channels since the day the 2x was announced 'shying away'.
i'm sure some other coder mentioned that mr spiv wasnt decided as of yet, despite being on Irc
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mr.spiv

Certified Guru
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
462
Someone called my name? :blink:

ps: I'm not shying away just having more sleep during nights these days ;)
 
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
458
Location
Sweden
Website
www.digitalawakening.net
Prophet posted on Oct 5 2005 at 10:55 PM said:
OK, here are the two basic rules to qualify as a GP2X donation candidate:

1) Must have publically dev'd for a handheld before. Preferably GP32, but other ARM based handhelds like Zodiac and GBA are acceptable backgrounds as well. We will need a list of your work to convince people to vote for you.

2) Must express real interest in dev'ing for GP2X. The donation is both a recognition of your past work, and also a hope future work. A description of what you might like to do on GP2X would probably help your chances of being voted for.

This leave new devs like Digital Awakening out, but it's only fair. Like any scene, you have to establish credentials before you gain support for donations. Remember, Skeezix did loads and loads of free projects before he got some goodies in return.

I agree with Prophet. Actually since it's this community that is donating I think that GP32 devs should be prioritised(sp?). I wouldn't mind donating myself but I can't even afford my own GP2X at the moment so I pass.

I'll be asking for donators later in case anyone gets interested. Of course I will have something coded with SDL running before I ask.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Draken

Very Active Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
1,262
Age
30
Location
Belgium
Website
Visit site
Incase you didn't know, zod's PSX emu got updated and now plays games playable. Playable as in 75% speed, and more speed updates comming. Why not possible on gp2x? :)
 

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
1,658
Location
Co.Durham, UK
Mr Spiv - where have u been? so are you going to dabble with the gpx2 or do you have too much to do already?
 

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
Draken posted on Oct 6 2005 at 12:39 PM said:
Incase you didn't know, zod's PSX emu got updated and now plays games playable. Playable as in 75% speed, and more speed updates comming. Why not possible on gp2x? :)


Cause it doesn't have sound. Games without sound are unplayable, to me at least.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

OrR

Corporate games suck.
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
1,411
Location
Hildesheim/Germany
Website
grvoid.com
Yeah, but you have to finally accept one thing: Your opinion is not the only opinion. For example I consider games without sound playable. Games with sound are better, sure, but games without sound can be fun for me, too.
 

xafier

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
313
Age
36
Location
Sheffield, England
Website
www.xafiers-home.com
Games without any images are best <_< I have to agree though, sound isn't always important... infact with some games the music can really get on your nerves and you switch it off anyways, and with some games they really aren't playable with music/sound... guess it all depends...

personally I'm not all that bothered about a PSX emulator, I really can't imagine it being all that playable unless someone sits and writes ASM cores for all its chips and even so... not really going to be all that good for things like FF7, 3 full discs, wont fit on a SD! maybe good for Crash Team Racing though :eek: but i'm happy with Super Mario Kart ;)
 
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
1,626
Age
36
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
xafier posted on Oct 6 2005 at 03:01 PM said:
personally I'm not all that bothered about a PSX emulator, I really can't imagine it being all that playable unless someone sits and writes ASM cores for all its chips and even so... not really going to be all that good for things like FF7, 3 full discs, wont fit on a SD! maybe good for Crash Team Racing though :eek: but i'm happy with Super Mario Kart ;)
games like FF tactics may be playable though. I think it is reasonable on the Zodiac for instance.

And its not as if you'd have to have all three FF7 disks on the SD card at the same time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Hanz™

FIGHT THE POWER! :D
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
2,577
Age
34
Location
fan
Website
Visit site
xafier posted on Oct 6 2005 at 04:01 PM said:
Games without any images are best <_< I have to agree though, sound isn't always important... infact with some games the music can really get on your nerves and you switch it off anyways, and with some games they really aren't playable with music/sound... guess it all depends...

personally I'm not all that bothered about a PSX emulator, I really can't imagine it being all that playable unless someone sits and writes ASM cores for all its chips and even so... not really going to be all that good for things like FF7, 3 full discs, wont fit on a SD! maybe good for Crash Team Racing though :eek: but i'm happy with Super Mario Kart ;)
3 CD's also never fit on one CD.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
458
Location
Sweden
Website
www.digitalawakening.net
I think it was the creator of FF7 that said in an interview (or maybe it was someone else from SqareEnix) that if he had time he would make an FF7 remake for PS3. I think I would rather go with that. Well, I do have the PC version but I stopped playing it for some unknown reason.
 

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
1,658
Location
Co.Durham, UK
sound or no sound, this shows that psx emulation isnt as far fetched as some people thought (dave!) but i understand why you remain sceptical and i will too until it runs at least 90% with sound (you never know, stranger things have happened) and then it could be somthing special.

remember that in europe we are used to running games 17.5% slower than the us and the japanese due to older televisions being 50hz only. So we could live with it!
 

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
x68000 posted on Oct 6 2005 at 04:46 PM said:
sound or no sound, this shows that psx emulation isnt as far fetched as some people thought (dave!) but i understand why you remain sceptical and i will too until it runs at least 90% with sound (you never know, stranger things have happened) and then it could be somthing special.

remember that in europe we are used to running games 17.5% slower than the us and the japanese due to older televisions being 50hz only. So we could live with it!


Far fetched? It IS far fetched depending on what level you would want to be considered worth while.

It isn't far fetched to have it run a few games at 75% speed with high FS and no sound.

It is far fetched to expect it to run full speed at fs1 with sound. To me anything less than that is not worth playing. It is just a tech demo to show your friends, that is about it. There are too many emulators that DO run that well or better so those will be the ones that get my attention.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jarska333

What do you want?
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Messages
3,606
Location
Sovjet Finland
Website
Visit site
xafier posted on Oct 6 2005 at 05:01 PM said:
Games without any images are best <_< I have to agree though, sound isn't always important... infact with some games the music can really get on your nerves and you switch it off anyways, and with some games they really aren't playable with music/sound... guess it all depends...

personally I'm not all that bothered about a PSX emulator, I really can't imagine it being all that playable unless someone sits and writes ASM cores for all its chips and even so... not really going to be all that good for things like FF7, 3 full discs, wont fit on a SD! maybe good for Crash Team Racing though :eek: but i'm happy with Super Mario Kart ;)

3 full disc probably isn't 3x650MB. There's the game, and plenty of duplicate video. Also, you can most likely replace the videos with dummy files, or maybe with better compression. I'm willing to bet, that a coder could code a... video decoder to the emu, if he is so inclined, which would put the actuall emulator into the backburner, play the video, and then return the emu back into action. Maybe. :p Somewhat similarly as some emulators use MP3 audio. :)

Disk 1 seems to have 407MB of movies.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Draken

Very Active Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
1,262
Age
30
Location
Belgium
Website
Visit site
Can't you run the 1st cd, save. Then put on the second cd? Etc?
(I just finished disc one again, poor aeris :( )

But heh, fs isn't that high, and sound will once be reality. :)
 

lubidog

Very Active Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
2,765
Age
36
I bet people thought the mega drive would push the GP32 to the limit! And now we have Dr MD.

I am not really fussed by psx emu (well, I would LOVE to play through ff7 again, but I don't expect to be able to...). But the real joy of the GP2x is the POTENTIAL of the thing! Like Skeeziz said, it's what we might get out of it.

I'll donate, by the way. Wasn't around for the Skeeziz ringround, but would happily give a few quid for a good devver. Haven't got a clue who, though.....
 
Top