How Much Was Raised For The Dev Fund?

Pleng said:
To be fair, it's not quite the same. If people had simply donated the money to OP then yes, but it was a dedicated fund with a specific name and a (pretty unspecific) 'cause'. While when you donate money to a charity the use for it is unknown, charities within themselves can have specific 'funds' where the purpose of the fund is more clearly specified. A good example would be the Disasters Emergency Committee, who launch individual campaigns to raise money for specific international disasters.

Oh I dunno - I think a lot of charities that I donate to SEEM to have a very specific target but the actual doling out of money... for example, when I smoked I tended to donate more to Cancer Research type charities - but there's a LOT of scope for how any money actually passed on to cancer research could get divvied up, and much of it might not be directed at smoking related cancers. There are a LOT of different lines of research out there, some of them quite speculative/dubious.

So it is with a "dev fund", I fear. For example, although it seemed quite clear when I originally donated, it has become much cloudier as to what the dev fund could be used for - and the members of OpenPandora have more frequently been called "devs" since then so in theory there is nothing stopping them from simply giving themselves the money. It's a dev fund, right?

Or they could use it to pay (themselves) for hardware to send to promising devs. Again, they are the ones who end up with the money for funding devs for the purpose of making the Pandora more popular to new/potential customers.

Or they could use it to reward software devs for producing software which the end users actually indicate they appreciate and/or enjoy.

Or... my point is that while "dev fund" seems (or SEEMED) reasonably specific at the time, it's really not all that tied down at all. I'm not suggesting that Craig WILL simply pocket the money, at all, or that the above options are the only ones (far from it) but that the scope they have is just as open-ended as most charities. We donated to the fund, not the company, but that doesn't mean that the fund will be used for what we want, or that we "deserve" to know how much other people donated etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
Or they could use it to reward software devs for producing software which the end users actually indicate they appreciate and/or enjoy.

Please let it be this one! :ph34r:

HealyHQ said:
Monk said:

Please let it be this one! :ph34r:

That was the one which, posited on the forum (IIRC by Craig) prompted me to donate. Credit where credit is due, kinda thing.

Back