Is Gp2x.co.uk A Dodgey Online Store?

Epicenter posted on Dec 7 2006 at 04:19 PM said:
As for who the mind behind the GP2X was-- one man from GamePark who was an intern when the GP32 came out. :p Not precisely a shining beacon of engineering prowess. (And yes, he is the only employee who had any involvement with the GP32's design at all.)

Hey, say what you will, beacon or no beacon, but we gotta give it to him - he's one hell of an intern :D Even if the product he created is considered seriously flawed by many people, he still managed to pull off quite a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call the GP2X an accomplishment. It's more an embarassment. This wasn't one person releasing the product, it was a company, albeit a small one. The fact that they couldn't properly execute a design they didn't even have to come up with themselves is downright disgraceful. All they built was the accessory hardware that supported the MMSP2 [to be more specific, they picked parts according to someone else's design and just crammed it on a PCB and into a case], and all of those parts are what's faulty. Couple that with faulty accessories (USB cables, as was just mentioned, TV out cables that are unreliable and don't even have the proper gender connections, and a breakout box that was promised .. 7 months ago? .. and has not yet been delivered) .. and compound it with faulty software and botched support (leaving distributors to pick up the slack) doesn't really leave a lot in the "Accomplishment" category.

If I were Gamepark I'd be pretty irritated that people kept thinking this product was from the 'makers of the GP32'.

Any chance of this topic dying. We already know you hate the GP2X Epicenter and this must be the 3rd topic in 2 weeks you've hijacked to vent your anger. You even said in one of the topics that you don't even use the GP2X anymore so why the hell are you hanging around like a bad smell. If you have something new to say then fine but if not give it a rest.

Epicenter posted on Dec 8 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
I wouldn't call the GP2X an accomplishment.

Hmmmm. Lots of sales and lots of happy punters, in a notoriously difficult market that even with Nokia or drug running money others have failed in. I'd say thats an accomplishment. Sure some things could be better, but shock horror, I've even started to accept the stick and really loving and enjoying it again.

You must let us know your accomplishments... Are you doing something terribly exciting in Japan?

Epicenter posted on Dec 8 2006 at 06:36 AM said:
I wouldn't call the GP2X an accomplishment. It's more an embarassment.
Tell me, what other console on the market today offers what the GP2X offers? None. Sure, GP may offer something with similar capabilities, perhaps even surpassing the GP2X, but that is not now. That will be sometime in the future. Since there is no better alternative as of now, if you dislike it so damn much, stop posting here. Oh, you already said you'd do just that, say, five or six times already. You just can't help your little ego, can't you?

The GP2X is fun all around, from enjoying the wonderful software the community provides to writing some yourself. Oh, and I've been thinking about all your excuses concerning Stargazer, well, boo-hoo, hardware wasn't powerful enough for your ton of background layers, cry me a river. If you wanted to code a GP2X game, you'd take into account its specific hardware limitations, and not expect a port that runs fine on your PC to run the same on the GP2X. That's just plain spoiled and stupid. Just admit that you never intentioned to tailor certain parts of it for the 2X from the very beginning, well, that's extremely poor design on your part and on your part alone.

I also like how you threw technical insults at Payback (I recall something along the lines "I'm surprised you managed to get it out of the single digit frame rates"), but never bothered ONCE to back them up in any way, and quite frankly that does not surprise me. You may have some hardware knowledge, but that puts you in no position to throw words around without backing them up, counting on your 'reputation' to hold water for you.

- Alex

you guys shouldnt rise to that nobber' i mean comments like that are just rubbish, and dont really do anything but start flamewars,

im getting mighty tired of the shit

Hey, I said I was done. You guys had to go and drag me back into the conversation, though. Declining to reply, knowing this forum, would invite various responses that kept this thread on the first page for a week or two, with useful mature information such as 'haha we scared off Epicentre, he lieks the cock'. Someone rationally asked me a question and I took the time to answer it-- if you choose to fault me for that, well, that's your choice. You're just making this funnier and funnier by how seriously you're taking these slights against your holiest of handhelds, though.

sensible GP32 posted on Dec 8 2006 at 09:40 AM said:
you guys shouldnt rise to that nobber' i mean comments like that are just rubbish, and dont really do anything but start flamewars,

"You have the POWERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!"

</booming Saturday morning cartoon voice-over>

Epicenter posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:39 PM said:
Someone rationally asked me a question and I took the time to answer it-- if you choose to fault me for that, well, that's your choice.

No, you still haven't answered the interesting question - How can it be anybody but the designers/developers responsibility to research the hardware s/hes developing for?

No Moxie - please don't ask. Epicenter, please don't answer. This topic is about Gp2x.co.uk's dodgeyness.

subcon959 posted on Dec 8 2006 at 09:57 PM said:
I can only assume the mods are enjoying this thread and that is why it hasn't been locked yet?

... well, I don't know about enjoying:

sensible 32 posted on Dec 8 2006 at 09:40 AM said:

... I wonder why it's still open? :p

GP2XShop-AUS posted on Dec 8 2006 at 11:34 PM said:
Well I'm amazed how a question about the credibility of an online store turned into such a flame war!

:lol: You haven't been around here long enough :lol:

Moxie posted on Dec 8 2006 at 06:16 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:39 PM said:
Someone rationally asked me a question and I took the time to answer it-- if you choose to fault me for that, well, that's your choice.

No, you still haven't answered the interesting question - How can it be anybody but the designers/developers responsibility to research the hardware s/hes developing for?
How many times do I have to say this to penetrate your thick skull? There is barely any documentation surrounding the machine or its constituent SoC, especially the '2D Acceleration' (blitter) and MPEG-4 decoding hardware (as MagicEyes would like to keep this a secret and charge money to develop software that uses it). Pretty much the only way to learn what the GP2X can and cannot do for specific tasks is to get one. However the pretense on which I was convinced to buy one was mostly lies.

Funny, since in another thread today Exophase said:

And lack of documentation isn't an excuse, the Magic Eyes chipset is very thoroughly documented!

Epicenter, knock off the lies. You weren't "convinced" by anyone to buy it, another user has the quote from you in their sig about why you bought one, and all of those facts were correct.

It has a gigantic PDF file about it, yes. It's just full of worthless information. Most of it reads like a brochure about why you should buy the MMSP2, not explaining how to use it. Long lists of features in terrible barely-comprehensible English, yet no information on the operation of the actual hardware or how it works at the lowest level.

The reason is, a staple of GPH's business is getting its customers to have their software developed by Dignsys, their partner company. This way, they can keep information like how the MPEG4 decoding hardware operates a secret, so that when new functionality is needed, the developer must come back to MagicEyes/Dignsys and pay them more.

Back