Is Gp2x.co.uk A Dodgey Online Store?

You have to remember that at this busy time of year there are going to be some delays and problems. As inksmithy said you'll normally only hear the bad stories but as I said earlier my experience with them has been only good. I ordered my GP2X on a Monday in mid November, realised I'd forgotten to provide an email :blink: so emailed them and they promptly contacted me with my order details. I was also aware that at the time there could be up to a 5 day wait for orders to ship due to demand but mine arrived the next day.
I'm not discounting the people who haven't had such a good experience but I think you'll find that any company, no matter how good, will have some unhappy customers.

They´re probably too busy searching for 270MHz devices, so they can sell it at an inflated price and the ones who buy for the regular price get guaranteed slow units.

Fishbong posted on Dec 6 2006 at 09:00 AM said:
They´re probably too busy searching for 270MHz devices, so they can sell it at an inflated price and the ones who buy for the regular price get guaranteed slow units.
Not this subject again!!! ........................................... boring!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to agree with all of these negative posts, since I've been enjoying my gp2x so much, but many seem pretty accurate as far as my experience goes.

Mabye it would be an idea to put a '2/3 day delay' sign beside the order button on the site? Letting people choose next day delivery when it's quite clearly going to be delayed but not telling them that until they've placed their order is just deceptive.

I know I fell for that one.

I'm with nowaycomputer, above. I ordered and selected the next day option. My GP2X was turned around reasonably quickly (about four days or so) but they took the money off of my credit card immediately, which is a total no-no under credit card law. When I quizzed this I was told that "oh, the company who handles credit cards for us can only take the money immediately".

No big deal as far as I was concerned, and they were very communicative and helpful across the board, but I did get the feeling of it being a bit of a Mickey Mouse operation. No offence meant, guys, just the overall perception I got. Communication is one thing, professionalism is another.

Just bear in mind reading this thread that if there are 200 people that have ordered from gp2x.co.uk, and ten of them had bad experiences and the rest good - likely hood is, you will get most of the ten bad stories, and no where near the 190 good stories - which are by their nature, are short, uninspiring and immemorable.

I got my gp2x in good time from gp2x.co.uk, it works, its great. It seems also that Craig is not above replying directly to a thread like this, which is in my mind a good thing. By the sounds of it email is the worst way of contacting them. Also people make mistakes and do stupid things (like lying) when under pressure - at least you know you're dealing with real people*. I wonder now how many gp2x's have been ordered from Craig and co. and how many owners have not replied to this thread.

*This of course does not justify their actions, but merely helps in forgiving them, because we know we're not so perfect either. You may of course choose, to bear the grudge against them for the rest of your lives..

Edit; btw I dislike 'professionalism', mainly 'cause I can't do it. Also I think you'll find that a lot of places take the money immediately (play.com if I'm not mistaken). If this is actually illegal, then this law is being broken a lot - which is not a good thing.

Speaking of which, I'd just like to say my experiences with them have been fantastic - ordered from them 3 or 4 times now, and both have been very quick.

Furthermore, I've twice had a unit from them have something go wrong very fast (fault of the GP32 and then GP2x, not of CraigIX's people, idd), and both times they've had very very impressive response times for getting the unit back to Korea, fixed, and back to me (usually just over 10 days). GP2x.co.uk rock and so does CraigIX.

Zeladin posted on Dec 6 2006 at 11:43 AM said:
Also I think you'll find that a lot of places take the money immediately (play.com if I'm not mistaken). If this is actually illegal, then this law is being broken a lot - which is not a good thing.

From Play.com terms and conditions: http://play.com/HOME/HOME/navfoot/5-/About...e=terms#jump-03

Credit and Debit cards are debited on the day of shipping by Play.com. All prices include sales taxes (where applicable) unless otherwise stated, and no charge is made for shipping.

Rincewind posted on Dec 6 2006 at 02:32 AM said:
...tale of woe...

In conclusion I can strongly discourage you to buy from gp2x.co.uk, they're extremely slow and apparantly lying to cover up their mistakes. If this is not the case and there are other ways to explain what happened - then please let me know Jacquelyn or Craigix.

I think that you may accidentially have ticked the little box on the order form saying "I'm a friend of Epicenters and should thus be treated very badly, so as not to upset his sensitive world view".

Moxie posted on Dec 6 2006 at 12:15 PM said:
I think that you may accidentially have ticked the little box on the order form saying "I'm a friend of Epicenters and should thus be treated very badly, so as not to upset his sensitive world view".

:lol: :lol:

I must say I've had mixed experiances with them. Comms was very good until I recieved the order and found that the 'batteries + charger' I ordered were 'to follow'.

I then had to query this via email to find out where they were and what was keeping them. A simple email from them would have been nice. However they did give me the option of buying my batteries + charger elsewhere, which I did, and they refunded my monies for the batteries + charger.

It strikes me they are a very small company which sometimes cannot cope with the large orders they recieve. Employing another member of staff simply to email customers to keep them upto date would surely improve the customer perception of the company.

Hippo posted on Dec 6 2006 at 12:42 PM said:
It strikes me they are a very small company which sometimes cannot cope with the large orders they recieve. Employing another member of staff simply to email customers to keep them upto date would surely improve the customer perception of the company.
which would probably push up the price of the console to the buyer

Moxie posted on Dec 6 2006 at 01:15 PM said:
Rincewind posted on Dec 6 2006 at 02:32 AM said:
...tale of woe...

In conclusion I can strongly discourage you to buy from gp2x.co.uk, they're extremely slow and apparantly lying to cover up their mistakes. If this is not the case and there are other ways to explain what happened - then please let me know Jacquelyn or Craigix.

I beg your pardon? I only got my GP2X yesterday, and this is the first time I tell my story. As for Epicenter I don't even know him. :mellow:

g0pher posted on Dec 6 2006 at 12:38 AM said:
Has anyone had bad experiences with gp2x.co.uk?
Any advice would be great.
thanks

It took me two weeks, five e-mails (yes - that's right, five e-mails from five different accounts) and a PM to Craigix to get an answer to a really simple question. Ridiculous. Oh and by the way my PM was left unanswered.

craigix posted on Dec 6 2006 at 01:08 AM said:
Wanna buy a low mileage car mate? ;)

You should phone us up, the order could have been lost (in the post) or your emails might be getting stopped by the spam filter.

Craig, how about whitelisting the word "order" or "gp2x" in your spamfilter? Or maybe it would be a good idea to include a contact form on your page, which gets submitted only if you punch in the right number from the image (since you have such a significant aversion for spam)? Man, imagine a respectable company saying "yeah well you might have written a letter but it might have gotten deleted".

They have pretty decent prices, and supposedly are very quick to deal with defects and such, however I too must say that customer service is really lacking. I usually have to email them 2 or 3 times to get an answer to a simple question.

Maybe get some more reps if you're so busy now. There's really no excuse for not answering simple emails in a timely manner....

Rincewind posted on Dec 6 2006 at 02:54 PM said:
Moxie posted on Dec 6 2006 at 01:15 PM said:

I beg your pardon? I only got my GP2X yesterday, and this is the first time I tell my story. As for Epicenter I don't even know him. :mellow:

It's a joke, and in no way directed at you. Then again, there was a small hope that we might have unearthed one of Epicenters several curiously invisible, but very mistreated, friends. Apparently, that wasn't the case this time either :)

Moxie posted on Dec 6 2006 at 08:27 AM said:
It's a joke, and in no way directed at you. Then again, there was a small hope that we might have unearthed one of Epicenters several curiously invisible, but very mistreated, friends. Apparently, that wasn't the case this time either :)
Like the one who refuses to post here due to the low quality of discussion (I think reading flamewar threads I take part in is some sort of peculiar spectator sport for him, not that I blame him), or the one who I chose not to use his name for lack of his permission, who then promptly thanked me via PM for not mentioning him? I'm sure I just imagined them, or else I'd comprimise their trust in order to prove the size of my e-penis to a random person on the other side of the internet. Logic!

The reason it always seems like Play debit the card immediately is because they usually ship immediately.

Zeladin said:
Edit; btw I dislike 'professionalism', mainly 'cause I can't do it.
When it involves taking my hard earned money I not only 'like' professionalism, I demand it.

Epicenter posted on Dec 6 2006 at 02:45 PM said:
Moxie posted on Dec 6 2006 at 08:27 AM said:
Like the one who refuses to post here due to the low quality of discussion, or the one who I chose not to use his name for lack of his permission, who then promptly thanked me via PM for not mentioning him? I'm sure I just imagined them, or else I'd comprimise their trust in order to prove the size of my e-penis to a random person on the other side of the internet. Logic!

Do any of them go by the name of 'Drop dead Fred' by any chance :p

Back