1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

I'm out of ideas for news-titles

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Active Member

I'm really tempted to say that I'd be happy for a 2GB unit, if 4GB proves a little too problematic.

Call me impatient, but: Reliability and Battery life > Potential improvement in excessive browsing and an uncertain release.

Kippykip and Swordfish II like this.
  2. ahahah

ahahah Active Member

there is no big difference in the battery life between 2GB and 4GB units.

3. sebt3

sebt3 homebrew player (P. & C.)

Source ?
    There's no know number to my knowledge. The only things known is : keeping 2GB of memory refreshed have a power cost and keeping 2 times as much memory cost 2 time more energy

4. ahahah

ahahah Active Member

tarator likes this.
  5. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

There is a larger difference between LPDDR and DDR. Pyra has DDR.
    There is not a big difference in active runtime between the two - maybe 5% less (ish).
    There WILL be a big difference in standby-on times - maybe 15-30% less.

Yes, but the RAM is only one of the things active. During usage with the display & SoC & radios running, the RAM refresh is a relatively small slice of the power footprint. Where it makes a bigger difference is in standby with the RAM still refreshing and the display off and the CPU in very low use.

You're welcome to your opinion or to share other's opinion. However most smartphone examples deal with LPDDR RAM with it's lower voltages and longer refresh tolerances. Pyra has DDR3 RAM - which consumes quite a bit more power than LPDDR. The difference is semi-negligible during use. However, RAM refresh power needs are a huge chunk of the power envelope during power-on-standby mode. 2GB Pyras could expect 15-30% more standby (semi-off in pocket) time.

It could also make a significant effect on screen-off low CPU power tasks (music playback) battery life. The less stuff the device is doing, the more, by proportion of power envelope, share of power used, goes to RAM.

So, there IS a trade off. No, it is not cataclysmic on the power requirements side. However, it is also not cataclysmic to have 'only' 2GB of RAM.

pocak, b_o_b and ClockworkCoder like this.
  6. ahahah

ahahah Active Member

if i understand you, it has no important impact in battery life if you use the pira intensely but a more important impact in battery life if you dont use it intensely. is that the idea?

7. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Correct.

8. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

9. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

Don't know why so many people hate the keyboard so much, just use controller companion and set the Right bumper as Shift, and the left bumper as Control.
    Enjoy typing without looking at the keyboard!
    But yeah I imagine the Pyra as a much more stable and significantly better designed device overall, but the only thing holding it down is the arm CPU imo.
    Also don't forget the Microphone on the GPD-Win is pure cancer, I have to get out my phone for using Discord.

10. NetBLOKS

NetBLOKS Finally on-board

@Kippykip
    It's not just the layout but the buttons themselves, which are aweful and the missing backlight.

11. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

The lack of progress is worrying, it seems like the RAM turns out to be a hard hurdle to tackle.

12. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

We don't know if there is or isn't any progress because of lack of communication.

13. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

14. fantomid

fantomid Very Active Member

The stand alone is not reserved.
    Had to get feedback from the game dev association to know if we could get a little space :|

15. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Very Active Member

Almost one month without news.

Swordfish II, 2coop4 and ThinkPad like this.
  16. CFWhitman

CFWhitman Member

Note that I did qualify what I said with the provision that the SoC could have more memory than the Pi has.

It is disappointing that your attempts at OpenGL with the Pi 3 were not more successful. I have to admit, most of my experience with any version of the Pi is with 2D video, which it does a good job with. That is also true with the GC2000 with open source drivers. The OpenGL I have seen in Linux on ARM has been with closed source drivers as with the Pandora and the Chip. I do have a Raspberry Pi 3 that I could experiment with, and I suppose I should. I also have a Cubox i4Pro that I could make comparisons with, also using open source drivers (albeit reverse engineered ones), but having 2 GB of RAM. I should probably take a look at both of them.

17. Willhelm

Willhelm Very Active Member

hm time for zombies or memes crying for news?

18. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

Not yet. Maybe next week.

19. kabaiakh

kabaiakh Very Active Member

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    error, remjey, ible and 3 others like this.
  20. klapse

klapse Central Scrutinizer

Why would anyone take these assertions seriously when you haven't given any reasons to back your claims?

Particularly when coming on the heels of thoughtful debate about advantages/disadvantages of aiming for 2 vs 4 GB at this point.

"Is important TO ME" i would have had no issue with.

"A V8 engine is important." "Cheeseburgers are important." "Well-groomed dachsunds are important." "Ph-balanced shampoo is important."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017