Getting closer...

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Jan 23, 2018.

1. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

You are absolutely correct. I was mistaken. I confused "able to charge from both USB ports" with "charger chip has two inputs (same as the Pandora's)"

2. Ted

Ted Member

How about the real possibility to just replace the CPU board to do the upgrade after a while? Take the X99 motherboard as an example, you could do CPU upgrade, but you are limited to upgrade to 2011-3 CPUs, after a long while, now you have to purchase a X299 motherboard to upgrade to new CPUs. I don't think there will be a new Pyra CPU board in foreseeable future, does the current motherboard designed future proof enough to allow us have the opportunity to do upgrade after a while?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

There is a risk that a future SoC will not provide enough of the same interfaces to fit all the peripherals on the mainboard, but the theory is that if it hasn't got enough USB lines, you can fit a USB hub chip on the CPU board, and if it hasn't got enough GPIOs as long as it's got some, they can be multiplexed to make more. At some point it won't make sense to do all that work on the CPU board, though, but for the time being that should hold.

But at the same time, the peripheral/main board isn't a static target either. At some point we'll probably get a revision with USB-type C connectors (and a new case bottom to match up), and whether that happens before or after the first CPU board revision remains to be seen.

4. Akko

Akko Member

Although, with the battery being removable, it should at least be possible to have an external charger that can take the battery and fast-charge it. Not as handy as having USB-C PD built-in, but it could still be a nice thing...

rygD likes this.
  5. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Don't be that cheap! Buy a second Pyra! ;)

ible and rygD like this.
  6. Akko

Akko Member

That wouldn't speed up the charging process though :p

7. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Since it's a spare, you can leave it turned off - you don't even need a CPU board inside. And since it's a spare, you're independent with your main Pyra. I think, it sounds wonderful.
    Or one builds his/her own charger. The procedure of charging Li batteries ain't that wild.

8. Akko

Akko Member

Yeah yeah right. So you're saying that if you had two Pyras, you'd really only have one running at a time? :oops:

9. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Of course, the other one I would have bought for charging. :D

10. Akko

Akko Member

Suuuuuure...

11. DSKyqo

DSKyqo Still Fresh

The next upgrade for the Pyra should maybe be a solar panel built into the lid? That would boost the battery life... :)

rygD likes this.
  12. Akko

Akko Member

No put the solar panel over the screen to recycle energy XP

Djoga'Ro and Kev2442 like this.
  13. erico

erico Advanced Member

While at that, make a connection to your fremem stillsuit so that when you move about, it also charges the Pyra...

tarator, Djoga'Ro, rygD and 3 others like this.
  14. spud42

spud42 Very Active Member

if only solar cells were that efficient...... alas a cell the size of the Pyra would take a week to charge it in ideal conditions...

15. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

And tiny wind turbines.

16. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

.. to be installed into your windpipe. It should whistle a little - for fun.

17. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I was thinking more like on your shoulders, head, arms, and maybe legs.

ible likes this.
  18. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Yeah, and I modfied it for round the clock effectiveness. With some people a sphincter-mod like that might pay off as well. That one should be easily extractable, though.

rygD likes this.
  19. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

Why not wear one of these "Propeller Caps" ?? Modified whit a Dynamo should this recharge your Pyra :)

rygD likes this.
  20. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Two Pyras, call them A and B.

Plug Pyra A's microUSB charging port into Pyra B's USB 2.0 port. Pyra A charging from Pyra B.
    Plug Pyra B's microUSB charging port into Pyra A's USB 2.0 port. Pyra B charging from Pyra A.

It isn't an infinite power supply - laws of thermodynamics still apply. It is battery load balancing. The Pyra receiving the most use would get on net more of the combined Pyras power.

Yeah, it would be far less efficient than simply swapping batteries. It isn't something to do because you should, but something to do because you could.

ClockworkCoder and rygD like this.