I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

so, first post then...
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I was a bit disappointed by having read a few stories about code development (slowdown, for instance), but it would still be a great opportunity to have a portable and hackable linux system that would allow me to play all those games no one ever gave me ;)
The worst part was finding out that UPS said that customs wanted 100€! I have no idea if they tricked me on that, either :huh: (I'm in Portugal)

Now, the system itself is fine. I haven't really gotten used to playing it much, but it didn't disapoint me in any way. What i find sad is how the community developers had to figure out most stuff by themselves, which has slowed development and probably put off a few talented hackers. It would be wonderful if things were better integrated all round, like volume and mouse pointers. Still, functionality is what matters to me.
Now, if only I could figure out which are the better games that I have missed... ;)

Welcome, Perky. Yes, we'd be nowhere without the amazing devs who discovered this machine's secrets... and are still discovering them.

Just got my gp2x thismorning, didnt even know i had it and its 3.30pm, someone else signed for it then tucked it away and ive only just found it!!! :angry:

But OMFG, its far far better than i was expecting. After reading all the stuff about build quality i wasnt expecting too much but this is far better than i was thinking id get. As for the stick, i do see what every now means by problems with it. Think ill be doing a dpad mod very soon.

One very happy customer here, let the fun times begin :D

I've had my unit for a few days now and I am loving it! I'm not the sharpest when it comes to figuring out the whole emulations thing, but this place is slowly but surely educating me.

diskinetic posted on Feb 17 2007 at 10:21 AM said:
I've had my unit for a few days now and I am loving it! I'm not the sharpest when it comes to figuring out the whole emulations thing, but this place is slowly but surely educating me.

Well, any major stuff still confusing you on the whole emulations thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. My 1st post.

I have ordered mine from www.gp2x.co.uk so it should be here by Thursday. I sold my DS at the end of last year and have been in need of a decent hand held ever since!

Fortunately I already knew about the gp2x so i treated myself :) Can't wait to stick some Amiga and Neo Geo classics on it for my daily commute!

i have also just recently joined the ranks of gp2x owners. i must say, this little console is awesome. i am glad you guys talked me into buying one :)

i am even trying out other things for one of the guys at work, i think he'll likely pick one up too, if mame is to his liking :D

Got it!

Quite pleased. The USB cable is cack though, so I am putting my card into my PDA and transferring the files through there! Also, my SD card doesnt pop up out of the top when it is pushed in, it just slots in and needs to be pulled out. This isnt a problem though as sd cards fortunately have a groove for just that!

My brand new set of 2500mah Energisers lasted about 10mins though, is this normal for a brand new set, i put them on charge when i got them and assumed they would be full!

Overall, really chuffed with it!

Just got mine, i like the stick!

Bought some energiser disposable batteries in it and got 5 minutes out of them...

Also, I am in uk, but the adapter has a US type plug, though the little box thing says 100-250 V~, and i have this thing that basically turns the 2 pin US/European plug into a 3 pin UK plug, but no voltage converter. Can I use this?

I have the proper Energizer slow charger, just took the batteries that came with the gp2x out of it after charging today and they have already far outlasted the 1st charge.

Got myself a compatible power adapter today anyway, so im safe all round :D

Nova posted on Mar 9 2007 at 05:03 PM said:

Bought some energiser disposable batteries in it and got 5 minutes out of them...

Also, I am in uk, but the adapter has a US type plug, though the little box thing says 100-250 V~, and i have this thing that basically turns the 2 pin US/European plug into a 3 pin UK plug, but no voltage converter. Can I use this?

I wouldn't, I used an adapter for US/UK plug and it nearly killed my espresso machine, and thats alot less delicate than the innards of a GP2X. I'd stick to batteries and get yourself one of these .

Update: I hate the stick :D

Also, I wouldn't be using a voltage changer, just an adaptor which would change the eu type plug to a uk one...

Nova posted on Mar 9 2007 at 11:02 AM said:
Update: I hate the stick :D

Also, I wouldn't be using a voltage changer, just an adaptor which would change the eu type plug to a uk one...

Which could fry it.

Just get a universal adaptor for your region and set it up so it outputs what the GP2X needs.

Metalstar posted on Mar 9 2007 at 10:35 AM said:
Nova posted on Mar 9 2007 at 05:03 PM said:

I wouldn't, I used an adapter for US/UK plug and it nearly killed my espresso machine, and thats alot less delicate than the innards of a GP2X. I'd stick to batteries and get yourself one of these .
No, if you re-read his post he has the official power supply and that it says on it it is compatible with 100-250 volts If his house wiring is within that range he will be fine.

I posted a really nice response and it disappeared :blink: I think I need to update my browser.

Yeah, stick sucks, I have a MK1 and a DaveC cap and it is hell. The DaveC cap is sitting too high for some reason and it is slippery. I bet my thumb is just oily and I can't be bothered to mod that cap any further. I need to find the custom caps I made up a while back out of N64/and psx joysticks.

A D-Pad would solve so many many problems with this unit. I still don't see why they can't make it a d-pad. Stupid GPH and their dumb cheap-ass industrial joysticks.

Ah, as long as the adapter is grounded it should be ok then. Mine was an ungrounded adapter and it made my hair stand on end . . !!!

I am used to the stick after just a day, a (Good) d-pad would be better though

I got my 2X yesterday, after 5 days of impatient teenager-waiting-ness. =P

It's great. I spent all last night loading emulators and homebrew onto my borrowed SD card and had a blast. I played Doom far into this morning.

I've only been working with this connected to an AC adapter right now since I don't have any decent rechargables, so I dunno if my performance will take a hit like I remember reading. But still, this thing is worth my money twenty times over. Now I've got a handheld that won't get boring after a few weeks. ^^

I got mine a week or so ago but just came across this thread recently--hence the late post. All in all, I'd say the GP2X is pretty cool. I'm glad I bought it.

As a (semi) old-fart it's great being able to re-live those days I wasted playing the NES.

I wish, as a lot of us do, that the processor was a bit beefier--I assume that's the problem--so that the GBA games ran a little faster but, hopefully, a workaround is in the future.

The "open-endedness" of the GP2X is what makes it great; no spending $50 a PSP game for me, thank you.
The GP2X's resurrection of some very old game titles makes me realize, once again, how much I suck at twitch games- lol.

The machine is fairly intuitive (I did have some problems getting games to run in the beginning) and, even though the controls are a bit clunky--they don't seem very durable either--to manipulate, I'm sure the GP2X will be a great time-waster.

And who knows, maybe it will be a good introduction to Linux!!! :)

Thanks for all out there who offer help and advice to us newbies. It really makes owning a GP2X worthwhile.

I finally have my GP2X, after 2 pain staking years of waiting, I received it for my birthday...it's frillin' sweet. XD

I just got back from Wal*Mart (US convenience superstore) with a proper slow battery charger and a 1GB memstick...

...Now I'm charging the batteries and am uploading Tenacious D & The Pick of Destiny to the SD!! ^______^

maj_hassel posted on Mar 14 2007 at 04:29 PM said:
And who knows, maybe it will be a good introduction to Linux!!! :)

The gp2x is awesome indeed, but it doesn't really demonstrate the capabilities of Linux.

Back