I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

I placed my order with GamerSection.CA last night, so I should receive my GP2X Value Pack and accessories later this month. Yay! My SD card will be posted on Tuesday, though, so I can't wait to start filling it with roms and games and videos and music and pictures and ooh I can't wait!!!

Fun!

Now I need to go shopping for a pair of pants with large pockets.

Got mine this morning. Well pleased, only ordered it yesterday afternoon :)

What a sterling bit of kit for the money. Already got a few games on it and tried the movie player. Excellent stuff.

Just got to prise the damn thing from the kids and I might even get a go myself sometime today. :(

gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console

Hello all, i have been reading up on the GP2X for quite some time now and finally decided to land my hands on one. I ordered the value pack from play asia because im a poor student. (Free sweets too!)

Overall its rather good.

The first thing i noticed was how light it was, which is good. I did notice the buttons looked cheap plastic like but they work fine. Also, the box was nice with all the little value pack goodies branded with "GP2X". I booted the system and notice firmware 3.0.0 is used, i dont think its the best, can be slightly slow, im sure it will be improved in later versions.

I tried the built in games, vektar, payback, supertux, flobopuyo and noiz2sa. Vektar is awesome, payback is great, but i will need to get into it to see if i will buy the full version. Supertux is well supertux, played it many a time, plays well on the gp2x. Flobopuyo was poor for me since im partially colourblind and it used too similar colours, maybe i will try it in better light. Noiz2sa is a fantastic game, my favorite of all the bundled games.

After checking out some of the other features, i must say i am impressed with the GP2X and look forward to playing with it and contributing to the community.

I just ordered by GP2X today. Anyone know how quickly gp2x.co.uk dispatch. I just can't avoid it, using an open source desktop I decided I should do the same for gaming.

Peter Brewer posted on Feb 3 2007 at 03:18 PM said:
I just ordered by GP2X today. Anyone know how quickly gp2x.co.uk dispatch. I just can't avoid it, using an open source desktop I decided I should do the same for gaming.
Welcome to the fun (when it arrives :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed my order with GamerSection.CA last night, so I should receive my GP2X Value Pack and accessories later this month. Yay! My SD card will be posted on Tuesday, though, so I can't wait to start filling it with roms and games and videos and music and pictures and ooh I can't wait!!!

Fun!

Now I need to go shopping for a pair of pants with large pockets.
I rec'd mine from GamerSection today... Lovely piece of hardware - really a tremendous complement to my other handhelds (yes, I have the DS and PSP too...). I've really got to say "thanks" to the community of GP2X users - it is really top rate around here... In deference to three of the many systems I've had packed under the stairs in moving boxes for five years or more now, I had my first 1 Gig SD card configured with NeoGeo, TurboGrafx and Lynx EMUs and ROMs before the machine even arrived... Once it was here, I just dropped in some batteries and plugged in the SD card (after waiting a few hours for it to warm up, of course - it's -30C here today!) and I was playing! It's nice to be able to play Splatterhouse and Ninja Spirit on the go, and NeoGeo games I played (Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, KotM and Magician Lord) ran beautifully. I also started DraculaX (Rondo) for the first time! Woah! What a thrill to finally play this rare Castlevania game!! What the emu developers have managed with this little machine blows my mind! Great stuff...

Hello, I have spent the last week with my GP2X, and so far I really like it. It is my first handheld gaming system, and the thing which drew me to it the most was its ability for emulator gaming on-the-go.
However, I have spent a lot more time than I anticipated playing the homebrew games. Specifically I really love squares, sudoku and FloboPuyo.

I placed the order through playasia, and received the item (in Australia) less than 48 hours after ordering. That's the best delivery time I've ever experienced from an international business.

On the emulation side of things, I've only loaded up the genesis/sms/snes/lynx emulators and played around a bit.

I have read that some people complain about the batteries which are provided by GPH, however I have found them to be most accommodating. I get around 2hours of play out of a set.

My only gripe is the controller stick, I find it a bit awkward at times, especially when playing squares. I envy some of the d-pad mods that some of you have done, and hope to learn more about this in the future.

Overall, my impression is that it's great versatile machine with good build quality and well worth the money.

ToddPowersPOW posted on Feb 10 2007 at 01:31 AM said:
I placed the order through playasia, and received the item (in Australia)

In case you weren't aware, there's an Aussie distributor of the GP2X: www.gp2x.net.au

They're an excellent store :)

re: the controller, I find putting a glob of hot glue on the cap for each direction (U/D/L/R) makes it much easier to use (provides better grip and you can leave your thumb more in the centre instead of moving it around the edges).

I've had my GP2X for about 2 weeks now and was already in love with it just from the SNES and Genesis emulators; my power cord and card reader just came a couple of days ago and I immediately installed Exult and transferred Ultima VII... amazing. Not to mention Sam and Max Hit The Road and assorted other ScummVM games, and Heretic, and Hexen, and so on and so on. Got a little addicted to Tilematch as well. Having all the favorites in one place, on one card, on a machine I can carry in my pocket... this is the future, the future I've been waiting for! Now if I can just figure out why I can't get any of my IF files to run under the sterm version of frotz, I'll be totally satisfied. I'm entering the command line right... maybe Z5 and Z8 files aren't compatible with this version?
Really looking forward to seeing more developments with emulators and ports! Many thanks to all the devs and community!

In case you weren't aware, there's an Aussie distributor of the GP2X: www.gp2x.net.au
Thank you for pointing that out, I was previously aware of its existence, however playasia offered a better deal with the accessories I got. However, I forgot to add the AC adaptor to my cart, so I'll be getting that locally. :)

I just received my GP2x from www.gp2xstore.com yesterday and so far I'm very impressed. First off, www.gp2xstore.com was very satisfying to do business with. Prompt responses, decent prices for an imported good, and the package arrived safely and well packaged. They even threw in an SD card reader and a U.S. plug adapter for the AC Adapter cord (both of which work wonderfully).

I haven't been as impressed with a handheld unit as I am with the GP2X since my Nintendo DS. Within minutes I had it powered up and playing AVIs, MP3s, and the games built into the value pack offering. I'd say the value pack is definitely worth it, though the hand strap and pouch are not the ones that are offered separately. The pouch is just that, a pouch with a drawstring, and the hand strap is only the hand strap (it doesn't have the screen wiper and the SD card holder). They look to be of good materials so far, they're just not as fancy as the separately offered accessores of the same names.

The batteries that came with the system are good so far. I haven't taken them for an endurance run, but they charged up nicely with a standard Energizes battery charger and have lasted me for intermitten playing all day on just two of them. I'll have to try playing straight through to see how long they'll actually last.

The unit itself is light without feeling like it's going to fly out of my hand, the buttons are responsive, and I would not refer to any part of it as cheap-feeling or looking. The only problem I have is the USB rubber cover piece - it doesn't want to stay put. Everything else is wonderful.

Howdy!

Well, I'm about to ship off to Korea for a year, and I've got a nasty-long flight ahead of me. Not only that, but my PC won't arrive until 2-3 weeks *after* me! :(

I was looking at getting *another* Nintendo DS (My son and daughter each have one!) and a M3 Simply. Nice setup, but two problems emerged. One, 2 DSs are enough, and if I got an M3, I'd wind up getting 2 more (along with 3 SD micro cards)! Two, I didn't see alot of MAME support for the DS.

After the Lik-Sang incident, all $ony stuff was right out! So no PSP (and $ony can DIAF).

And so I wound up getting a GP2X. No need to preach to the choir about why I made *that* decision! :)

I got mine from gp2xstore.com pretty quickly. I ordered on Monday, and I got it today, Wednesday afternoon. Shipping was only $6.11, pretty cheap for so fast IMO.
-keith

Ok, so I'm posting here because I wanted to make a post about gp2xstore.com and I couldn't find much about them (didn't want to wade through 57+ pages of the "Hey, I got mine" thread), and I thought it might make future searches a bit easier for people.

I bought the regular GP2X and the "GP2X" imprinted joystick pad. I didn't see the need for what the value had additional.

I ordered Monday morning (7am eastern time), and the package arrived today, Wednesday this afternoon. Pretty dang fast if you ask me. Sure beats waiting for shipping from Hong Kong.

The only problem I had was with USPS. I got a notification from gp2xstore that my order was complete, and it had a tracking number. Clicked on it, and it only said that electronic information had arrived from the merchant, and no package was (yet) received. Problem was, it kept saying that until after lunchtime today, and then suddenly the page says, "Package delivered." :huh:

But everything arrived OK, and I'm playing Doom already. :)

So I'd give a recommend to them. gp32_console

-keith

edit - oh yeah, the free SD-USB adapter gp2xstore includes works fine. USB 2.0 as well. Corsair 2GB 60x SD cards working for me.

edit 2 - heh, I guess a mod didn't like my separate post. Oh well, but I do think we need a merchant feedback thread.

gameboyadvancebs posted on Feb 14 2007 at 10:02 PM said:
I never had that problem with ups, anyway as long as the package is delivered I'm good. :ph34r:

USPS = U.S. Postal Service
UPS = United Parcel Service

The reason the tracking number doesnt update with USPS is because its NOT a tracking number. Its only a delivery confirmation number, so it wont update usually until its delivered. Its really more useful to the seller, so he can check that the buyer did indeed receive the package.

I've just ordered a gp2x for a friend of mine from there. There's a problem with the different billing and shipping addresses (my friend lives in another state), but hopefully it will be resolved and my friend will get his this week. Maybe it would be easier for me to recieve it and mail it to my friend myself though?

TelcoLou posted on Feb 14 2007 at 07:04 PM said:
gameboyadvancebs posted on Feb 14 2007 at 10:02 PM said:
I never had that problem with ups, anyway as long as the package is delivered I'm good. :ph34r:

USPS = U.S. Postal Service
UPS = United Parcel Service

LOL, Sorry, sometimes I read to fast for myself, LoL :ph34r:

Back