I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 07:24 PM said:
GP2X CODER: Thanks for the compliment! :)

DaveC: OpenTTD works best with at least a 640x480 resolution, since most windows and toolbars within it's GUI expect that minimum. What I'm doing this time around for PocketPC's / SmartPhone detected to have a QVGA (240x320/320x240) is a simple (rotated if in portrait) 2x scale down. With that everything is viewable and looks well when building and such, but not for text. Text is very important in this game of course, so I am working on adding a toggle for a viewport mode that will be much more refined than last time around. The viewport mode will allow for scrolling around the 640x480 unscaled screen and of course everything can be done in this mode just fine. The other option I have is to make an actual OpenTTD GUI driven window within the scaled screen that shows a scrollable portion of the game unscaled. :)

man, i love(d) TTD so much on the PC, and was so excited to have it on GP2X.

although CPS2 might be more widely lauded in the scene?

Last edited by a moderator:
Giga Wing and Mars Matrix sound good! :)
Mars Matrix on the Dreamcast is amazing.

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 is a fun game too...

subin: I think no matter what projects I do, OpenTTD will be updated on the various handhelds I have, including the GP2X. :)

OpenTTD on my gp2x would rule! I like the sound of the 640x480 *virtual desktop* style idea, sound much less complex than writing a dedicated GUI :)

I love to follow this thread :D

We, the gp2x croud, realy have a good comunity !

Long live to the '2x and to its community.

BTW, great job Zodttd
paxl13

DaveC posted on Dec 14 2006 at 07:35 PM said:
chaos engineer posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:40 AM said:
what's about porting the psp cps2 emu to the gp2x. It runs full speed on the psp

sell your gp2x and buy a psp. I know this is heretic, but subcon959 is right: the emulators are shockingly good
What's about posting here if you love the PSP so much more?

The emulators are shockingly good but the screen is shockingly slow leaving the wonderful scaled filtered graphics with 1" long trails when something moves fast.

Yes, I knew I can make you talk about the ghosting psp screen. .

zodttd is looking at the cps2 emu right now. So, do not complain, my posting was worth the wile for the gp2x community.

Ok, I started working on porting the CPS2 emu to the GP2X. CPS2 and OpenTTD should fill in the freetime for developing. :)

I think that Puck2099 is porting a CPS1&CPS2 emu.He started working on it a weeks ago.

What games are worth running actually? I haven't gotten a clue as to why people need or use DOSbox, i just never was into the gaming on PC's
If the truth be told there probably aren't many games 'worth' running. I think just about everything else had better games at the time. There's loads of platformer games like Duke Nukem 1 and 2, as prime examples. 2d shooters like tyrian/raptor. As regards strategy there's Warcraft and Command and Conquer*..(Mousing might be a bit difficult on the gp2x I'll admit) And of course all those click and point adventure games, many of which are unique and unavailable on any other system. One that caught my attention the other day was 'Dragonsphere' - I was hunting around in the attic for old PC games (for dosbox of course.)

Some of these are on other systems as well of course, and plenty have similar counterparts. And of course those systems, C64, NES and etc are better emulated. One advantage for the legally conscious, is that you probably don't have to own a Dos machine to emulate it, and there's plenty of shareware, and freeware out there. If your good with reasoning and can jusify it to yourself there's all that abandonware too.

Anyway that's all off topic. The point of course is that there are any number of things that are better systems and easier to emulate, like for instance this amazing GBA emulator. The main reason for wanting a decent dosbox is mostly nostalgia. Its even rather strange that zodttd is thinking of doing work on it, and every time its mentioned there's this rather strange silence. Like when an artist suggests they're going to paint without a brush...(or some other suitable simile). And now back to Gba, or PSP screen or whatever. Nice community too...

*I rather suspect these are beyond the reach of dosbox, even if zodttd was working on it

Rivroner posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
I think that Puck2099 is porting a CPS1&CPS2 emu.He started working on it a weeks ago.

It's often good to have multiple projects running... sometimes they can help each other out, or focus on different things (comatibility vs speed, for example). Just look at the two excellent Amiga emus by GNoSTiC & Critical, VICE & Frodo for c64 (I use both), or having nkSNES for games with transparencies.

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 10:08 PM said:
Ok, I started working on porting the CPS2 emu to the GP2X. CPS2 and OpenTTD should fill in the freetime for developing. :)
Hooray! Good luck!

gaterooze posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:20 PM said:
Rivroner posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:10 PM said:

It's often good to have multiple projects running... sometimes they can help each other out, or focus on different things (comatibility vs speed, for example). Just look at the two excellent Amiga emus by GNoSTiC & Critical, VICE & Frodo for c64 (I use both), or having nkSNES for games with transparencies.
Puck's good, I thank him for fenix but He isn't all that fast...

whats squide upto these days?
moz: (sic?) I think Squidge is doing stuff.

DOSBox is a great project. One of the finest opensource projects of this type I've seen. I have been talking on occasion to their team about doing an ARM Dynarec but it's not a priority for them right now, so I have some time to do other things. The ARM Dynarec would hopefully make way for an official ARM branch to DOSBox. :) ...I ported DOSBox to the Sharp Zaurus C1000 in a few hours for testing developments being made, and it ran a version of Syndicate fairly well even with sound and DOS4GW. But I believe it crashes at one point and I'm not sure if it's due to the quick port (doubting it now) or DOSBox and DOS4GW not working well together.

zodttd posted on Dec 15 2006 at 08:08 AM said:
I was having a look at the source code to this as well. It run's really well on the PSP even at 222Mhz and that's using the 'C' 68K & Z80 cpu engines. It doesn't even look like this will need Cyclone or DrZ80 to go faster.
The PSP with it's 32MB requires a GFX cache using the converter software - do you think you'll still make use of this? The PSP doesn't have the reading-from-memory-stick problems like the GP2X does but the GP2X does of course have 64MB so could probably cache all the GFX in RAM.
The other (bigger) problem is that CPS1 and CPS2 has a wide display 384x224. Oh no! DaveC watch out! It's going to require scaling - and the worst kind; missing pixels!
The PSP is running in 16-bit color mode, so if the GP2X has some sort of filtering it may actually be useful. Failing that perhaps some simple software blending might be okay in this case. What do you think ZodTTD?

Are you just looking at CPS2? What about CPS1?

EDIT: Grammar and speeling. :)

slaanesh posted on Dec 14 2006 at 11:20 PM said:
zodttd posted on Dec 15 2006 at 08:08 AM said:
I was having a look at the source code to this as well. It run's really well on the PSP even at 222Mhz and that's using the 'C' 68K & Z80 cpu engines. It doesn't even look like this will need Cyclone or DrZ80 to go faster.
The PSP with it's 32MB requires a GFX cache using the converter software - do you think you'll still make use of this? The PSP doesn't have the reading from memory stick like the GP2X does but the GP2X does of course have 64MB so could probably store all the GFX.
The other (bigger) problem is that CPS1 and CPS2 has a wide display 384x224. Oh no! DaveC watch out! It's going to require scaling - and the worst kind; missing pixels!
The PSP is running in 16-bit color mode, so if the GP2X has some sort of filtering it may actually be useful. Failing that perhaps some simple software blending might be okay in this case. What do you think ZodTTD?

Are you just looking at CPS2? What about CPS1?
You killed Dave.

MAME already runs CPS1 really well, it runs it unscaled and it is playable like this, take a look at something like final fight, you may have to tweak the settings a bit for best speed.

It is true that CPS1/2 would look better on a widescreen but you don't loose too much on the gp2x screen.

The good thing with the fighting games is that it isn't a big deal if the sides are cropped a bit. Final Fight does look horrid when you scale it to fit the screen though.

Yeah, I play CPS1 games all the time. I like the way mame handles scalling, too. CPS2 games won't be any worse.

Oh yeah, and rock on Zottd!!!

Back