New Status Of Gpsp (gba) Dynarec

reiboul posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:25 AM said:
Auritribe posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:18 AM said:
reiboul posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:10 AM said:
Auritribe posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:57 AM said:
figured I'd store all my data on the NTFS partition... better luck next time I guess.

ntfs-3g is stable for some time now :) lets you read/write on NTFS partitions with very litle restrictions!

Yeah, I actually saw that right before you posted...I'm kinda surprised if its not there by default though.

Either way, I'm definitely gonna give that a go once Ubuntu finishes installing on the laptop.

Maybe it will become default on the latest distrib's (Ubuntu 7.04?) but it's only beta on Ubuntu 6.10
It has only been released 2 or 3 weeks ago!

(Ubuntu 6.10 came with this buggy-as-hell Gaim beta 5, though... guess it's not as critical as a beta ntfs driver ;) )

Bah, gaim, they should just port Adium using GNUStep libraries, then I'd never want to go back to windows :D

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone think snes ports to gba will be more playable on this emulator than playing the original the a snes emu for gp2x

slaanesh posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:33 AM said:
Any chance of keeping it vaguely GP2X and GBA/GPSP related? :D

Hate to vent.....I'm reinstalling sabayon on the laptop >_>

grr, it seems Sabayon is the only one new enough to have drivers that work natively on my Broadcom wireless....

Type broadcom linux into google and it'll easily shout out to you my problems. Had a LOT of trouble getting broadcom to work in Ubuntu.

Shame, ubuntu loads alot quicker and probably is less battery consuming :(

About *NIX distros: I compile gpSP on Ubuntu Edgy Eft running under Parallels. Goes super fast too. Ubuntu has come a long way. Beats running RH ES.

Anyways, I'm figuring out a release time right now. It's being tested to see what needs to be done before release. If it's not released today it will be sometime this week for sure. It's that close. I know most would rather have something to see and try out than a perfect release, so I'll give an incremental release or two before slowing down.

zodttd posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:21 AM said:
About *NIX distros: I compile gpSP on Ubuntu Edgy Eft running under Parallels. Goes super fast too. Ubuntu has come a long way. Beats running RH ES.

lol! great way to wrap up the thread and put both topics together. ^_^

On a related off topic note, that NTFS driver worked, daapd runs ^-^ unfortunately, I'm now installing Sabayon back on the laptop 'cause of the wireless drivers so I Can't test... >.> but it SEEMS to be running fine.

I can only hope it didn't rape my music collection in the process, those things always scare me just a little.

I use openSUSE, it's nice but I can't install anything ( I go thru yaST, and press installation source and then goto a folder with installer in it and nohting <_< )

also: I'm very excited about the release :)

zodttd posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:21 AM said:
Anyways, I'm figuring out a release time right now. It's being tested to see what needs to be done before release. If it's not released today it will be sometime this week for sure. It's that close. I know most would rather have something to see and try out than a perfect release, so I'll give an incremental release or two before slowing down.

That is great. No rush, don't kill yourself trying to get stuff out we can wait a bit.

I would personally like to wait until the speed is consistant, the 1:1 unscaled mode is centered (as that is what i will use) , and it is fairly stable. Up to you but don't let the beggars make you feel rushed, like you are doing a job. It probably ruins the fun for you that way. Thanks for the good work again .

(Linux g33k5, can we maybe keep this a bit on topic please?)

therealadmin posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:13 PM said:
Zodttd gives me a reason to use the computer. I have beat every game I own so now its all GP2X.
Well i believe there are several thousand GBA games, so gpSP should keep you busy? :)

slaanesh posted on Mar 8 2007 at 03:43 AM said:
therealadmin posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:13 PM said:
Zodttd gives me a reason to use the computer. I have beat every game I own so now its all GP2X.
Well i believe there are several thousand GBA games, so gpSP should keep you busy? :)

So long as there is (insert adult site here) I will always have a reason to use the computer.

I know this isn't your job and that you are doing this (presumably) for fun, but it would really be cool if you could squeeze out a release tonight because I would like to go to bed, I need the sleep.

A release tonight would be nice, but I don't really care as long it comes out this week. Also, I wish I could run Ubuntu, but I've only got an 80gb HDD, and I've got about 1GB free on that drive....

Also, while we are waiting, what exactly is a dynarec and what does it do that can help gPSP so much?

To beta test:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35833

I will be releasing a private beta tommorow to iron out some bugs with the help of my donators. I owe you guys and this is my treat to ya.

Also, the dynarec is a really fast way of emulating a system by creating native code "on-the-fly". Basically it's really fast but not so easy to do.

xenonflash posted on Mar 8 2007 at 04:24 AM said:
A release tonight would be nice, but I don't really care as long it comes out this week. Also, I wish I could run Ubuntu, but I've only got an 80gb HDD, and I've got about 1GB free on that drive....

Also, while we are waiting, what exactly is a dynarec and what does it do that can help gPSP so much?

"In computer science, dynamic recompilation (sometimes abbreviated to dynarec) is a feature of some emulators and virtual machines, where the system may recompile some part of a program during execution. By compiling during execution, the system can tailor the generated code to reflect the program's run-time environment, and perhaps produce more efficient code by exploiting information that is not available to a traditional static compiler."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_recompilation

Another technical Question:
Has the GBA Emulation the same problems with Transparencies like the SNES Emulation? I ask because of many SNES Games ported to the GBA and I think there are many Games with Transparencies. ^^""

Bah. I've been trying out the beta, which I enjoy a lot, but I only have space for a couple ROMs at a time - never got the 4gb card that I ordered from 7dayshop :( *sniffs*.

Remember there is zip support and is confirmed working.
I suggest using WinRAR to make the zips, for compatibility reasons.
You MUST only have a single .gba file within each .zip.

Hope it helps a bit.

Back