I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

shinneri posted on Dec 12 2006 at 06:13 AM said:
I tested Summon Night Swordcraft Story with the fast version, and it runs very very nice! Sound is only slightly jittery and animation is nice (was using frameskip of 4). I didn't test long enough to see how it handles in battles, but I'd assume it would be a little less smooth.

Sigma Star Story has lots of graphic glitches in the fast version, and, oddly enough, it actually runs much quicker on the standard version. No glitches on the standard version, but its still too slow to be playable.

Frameskip 4 ? That is quite choppy. Anything over 2 is noticeably choppy. How well does it run at 2 or less? How about the Castlevania games, some of those ran fairly well on the previous version. Are those alot smoother now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance run pretty well at fs2.
I noticed that a friend of mine used different version of this roms and Aria of Sorrow in my case needed to be started aftwer a working rom/bios, but not with his rom.
Harmony of Dissonance starts fine with my rom but doesn't start at all with my friend's.
So try changing roms when one doesn't start, it may be totally different.

Thought I'd share my latest discovery with you all:

I was having a look at the available games for GBA, but mainly limiting myself to the ones I'd actually heard of on other platforms (Gran turismo, sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, NFS etc) since there are just too many to go looking for screenshots of each one on-line.

Then I read in the spanish forums about a program called offlinelist (http://offlinelist.free.fr/) which is a kinda ROM manager/organizer thing. But the best thing about this program is that you get it running, tell it to update itself, and it downloads screenshots of almost every GBA game in existence, which you can later scroll down the list to see! It's a lot quicker than having to search around on line and go clicking from one page to the next to see what a game looks like. You can also filter the list to see only games in English and so on.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know in case anyone's interested.

BTW where is Zodttd? Didn't he say he'd let us have a status update almost a week ago?

Lobo posted on Dec 13 2006 at 04:38 PM said:
BTW where is Zodttd? Didn't he say he'd let us have a status update almost a week ago?

It's exam time (at least here in America) or end of year scramble for jobs before Christmas. I think you should leave him alone.

Lobo posted on Dec 13 2006 at 09:38 PM said:
Then I read in the spanish forums about a program called offlinelist (http://offlinelist.free.fr/) which is a kinda ROM manager/organizer thing.
Looks like a very handy little program, but it's a shame that it's not cross platform compatible.
We could have made some decent compatability lists for all the emulators with that & they could be auto updated to everyones desktops (& maybe GP2X?) :(

Lobo posted on Dec 13 2006 at 10:38 PM said:

I was having a look at the available games for GBA, but mainly limiting myself to the ones I'd actually heard of on other platforms (Gran turismo, sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, NFS etc) since there are just too many to go looking for screenshots of each one on-line.

Then I read in the spanish forums about a program called offlinelist (http://offlinelist.free.fr/) which is a kinda ROM manager/organizer thing. But the best thing about this program is that you get it running, tell it to update itself, and it downloads screenshots of almost every GBA game in existence, which you can later scroll down the list to see! It's a lot quicker than having to search around on line and go clicking from one page to the next to see what a game looks like. You can also filter the list to see only games in English and so on.

That offline lister always fails to download all screenshots for me.
It goes on for a little while then it aborts the download.

So I just use this onlinelist instead, it has screenshots for all games and updated fairly quickly: http://gbalister.emubase.de/show_list.en.html

My GP2X arrived today :D Thanks to Jr2swiss for his very generous donation. Unfortunately I need to get an AC adapter or batteries (preferably the former) and an SD card. Double unfortunately I'm leaving for winter break to visit a friend for a few weeks, in a couple days. But I might be able to bring the GP2X to at least try it.

Once I'm ready to actually dev for it I'll post actual plans and progress reports. I have a pretty rough idea of what I'd like to do.

DaveC posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:43 PM said:
Frameskip 4 ? That is quite choppy. Anything over 2 is noticeably choppy. How well does it run at 2 or less? How about the Castlevania games, some of those ran fairly well on the previous version. Are those alot smoother now?
Indeed, 4's very high. But it doesn't bother me too much. I'm really just trying to get as much performance out of the emu right now. As it gets developed further, I'll lower my frame skip. But I'll try and test at 2 sometime. :)

What does bother me is that I simply can't find a decent viewing angle on my MK2; the image is alway too dark compared to my micro and DS. Has to do with the gamma settings, which Zod said will be made adjustable soon. ^_^

Lobo posted on Dec 13 2006 at 03:38 PM said:

I've got a good chunk of the US screenshots (513?). My emulator front end cycles through the screenshots as I scroll through the games (sort of like rage, but works with all the emulators). I've got a similar front end partly coded for the gp2x, I just never got around to finishing it

Yes, the gamma can be adjusted fairly easily. Thank ryleh for that, as his minimal library has gamma adjustment in it. Credits due there. :)

I was sick for the past week or more. Luckily there's still free time inbetween work even after being away for so long. Exophase is busy at work with gpSP and as soon as it's ready I will be there for getting GP2X in sync with the PSP version. I'm not sure at the timing of things yet. I'm following Exophase's recommendation of issuing large releases every so often, than many small updates. It's a better result for everyone here by doing that. So I'll keep in step with Exophase's release schedule.

From what I'm aware of, Exophase is still going to be doing the dynarec for gpSP for the GP2X. That's a good thing since he's the one that can do it best in this situation. :)

As for DOSBox, I spoke with the DOSBox team and the ARM Dynarec isn't a priority for them right now, so I had some free time to do this project. I lost contact with them recently though so I will get back in touch.

I haven't heard much about psx emulation lately, I'll get some status on that when possible. :)

So the status update as of now is I'm going to see if there's work to do on gpSP on the GP2X (name pending) before Exophase takes a vacation in a few days. I want to avoid doing too much work on the current release of gpSP as the upcoming update seems to be a large one, and I want to avoid writing code that will be of no use soon. If there's no work to do for the time Exophase is away I will find something fun to do for GP2X (any quick projects on the todo list?). :)

I really appreciate seeing the appearances of such talent in this thread! Thanks for the support everyone. :)

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 04:05 AM said:
If there's no work to do for the time Exophase is away I will find something fun to do for GP2X (any quick projects on the todo list?). :)

I really appreciate seeing the appearances of such talent in this thread! Thanks for the support everyone. :)

Thanks for the update.

Quick projects? I don't know maybe mess with that GP32 NES emu from yoyofr's site and see if it can be easily ported to the Gp2X? The GP2X could use a better one. I would say PC-Engine but that is more complicated.

being a mega super gp2x coding genius and all maybe you could take a look at the squidgesnes code during this break.

Jackd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 05:44 AM said:
being a mega super gp2x coding genius and all maybe you could take a look at the squidgesnes code during this break.

He said "quick project" not lifelong curse :p

Exophase posted on Dec 14 2006 at 02:41 AM said:
My GP2X arrived today :D Thanks to Jr2swiss for his very generous donation. Unfortunately I need to get an AC adapter or batteries (preferably the former) and an SD card. Double unfortunately I'm leaving for winter break to visit a friend for a few weeks, in a couple days. But I might be able to bring the GP2X to at least try it.

Once I'm ready to actually dev for it I'll post actual plans and progress reports. I have a pretty rough idea of what I'd like to do.

Hint, get the biggest SD card you can get your mitts on. I reccommend 4-gig. I have the A-data 4 gig card and I almost have it filled. NeoGeo MVS and alot of MegaDrive ROMs, Doom wads etc will suck up space fast.

Get some good quality NiMH at least 2500 MAh rechargeable batteries (alkaline don't last for crap)

AC adapter, be careful of voltage and polarity. Cheap ones can have problems working.

I know very little about the SNES. Though people that write GBA emulators might know a thing or two about SNES already...

I have a complete reworking of OpenTTD ports on handhelds coming soon. It's already running REALLY well on PocketPC's and is based off a very recent nightly build I liked. GP2X might be able to get a port of this latest revision as well! Good idea. It's an amazing game! :)

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 04:05 AM said:
I will find something fun to do for GP2X (any quick projects on the todo list?). :)
I would love a port of xroar (dragon 32 emulator) I really miss it since I sold my gp32 :blink:

Back