I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 06:11 AM said:
I have a complete reworking of OpenTTD ports on handhelds coming soon. It's already running REALLY well on PocketPC's and is based off a very recent nightly build I liked. GP2X might be able to get a port of this latest revision as well! Good idea. It's an amazing game! :)

Wow, a proper OpenTTD port!? You are like Santa for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
chaos engineer posted on Dec 14 2006 at 10:40 AM said:
what's about porting the psp cps2 emu to the gp2x. It runs full speed on the psp

Yeah, that's a good point. cps2 emu could be possible - gp2x has 2x more RAM than psp and its raw computing power is bigger than psp (psp is designed towards 3d games so it's harder to code 2D emu for it in terms of computing power)...

messiah posted on Dec 14 2006 at 08:23 AM said:
Yeah, that's a good point. cps2 emu could be possible - gp2x has 2x more RAM than psp and its raw computing power is bigger than psp (psp is designed towards 3d games so it's harder to code 2D emu for it in terms of computing power)...
Completely wrong :p

I'm not sure about the GP2X having 64MB of RAM (which I think it doesn't), but of course the PSP has more power. It has two 333MHz CPUs and a 3D chip with 2MB of VRAM... OK, they're MIPS and the GP2X is ARM, but the GP2X is (average) 250MHz.

When something is designed for 3D, it doesn't do 2D any slower, usually a lot faster even. I have to say the opposite isn't true of course :p

Moreover, the PSP HW is designed for 3D applications, but that comes down to lots of RAM, lots of VRAM, quick memory and bus, and a 3D chip.

Nothing that affects the CPU or "raw processing power" as you said. Except for the VFPU extension--it adds a bunch of vector and matrix operations, like MMX, to the CPU. That just makes the PSP more powerful though, hence making my entire point even more valid :p

It does have 64mb of ram, and CPS2 emulation would be a dream come true! It's something I've been hoping for ever since I got my 2x.

LordFu posted on Dec 14 2006 at 02:27 PM said:
It does have 64mb of ram, and CPS2 emulation would be a dream come true! It's something I've been hoping for ever since I got my 2x.
Donate a GP2x to NJ then. His CPS2, CPS1 and Neo Geo emulators are shockingly good on the PSP.

If someone set up a "fund" for that I would donate some money... Being able to play marvel vs. capcom on my gp would be a dream come true. Seeing as how amazing this emulator is before much optimization for the 2x I guess a lot of the psp emulators should be ported over and having the original creators on board would be helpful.

Jackd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 04:27 PM said:
If someone set up a "fund" for that I would donate some money... Being able to play marvel vs. capcom on my gp would be a dream come true. Seeing as how amazing this emulator is before much optimization for the 2x I guess a lot of the psp emulators should be ported over and having the original creators on board would be helpful.

sell your gp2x and buy a psp. I know this is heretic, but subcon959 is right: the emulators are shockingly good

As for DOSBox, I spoke with the DOSBox team and the ARM Dynarec isn't a priority for them right now, so I had some free time to do this project. I lost contact with them recently though so I will get back in touch.

Oh cool! Yay for Dosbox! Or am I the only one who grew up with a 486 computer instead of a playstation? Anyway I'd love to see some progress on this, it's really quite slow and sound emulation is a no no at the moment. It does run a good pile of games though. I can even run my turbo pascal tutorial programs on it! (Alas a must for first year Comp Eng :) ).

It could do with a Gp2x Gui too, which would be quick to do, though not a terribly stimulating project. I suppose NES and SNES are a little more in demand.

Tinnus posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
messiah posted on Dec 14 2006 at 08:23 AM said:
Completely wrong :p

I'm not sure about the GP2X having 64MB of RAM (which I think it doesn't), but of course the PSP has more power. It has two 333MHz CPUs and a 3D chip with 2MB of VRAM... OK, they're MIPS and the GP2X is ARM, but the GP2X is (average) 250MHz.
The GP2X has 64MB of RAM, that's one of its main advantages. Plus, the GP2X's 2 CPUs clocked at 250MHz can, I dare say, match the PSP for power if they're used correctly. Obviously the GP2X lags heavily behind the PSP in the 3D department, I can't deny that, and its 2D acceleration is nearly useless.

If we could utilise the power of the video decoder properly, it can do a great number of things quickly that can help in both emulation and 3D rendering - things like matrix transformations. The only thing that makes that decoder a video decoder and not versatile computation hardware is the proprietary binary blob on it.

chaos engineer posted on Dec 14 2006 at 09:40 AM said:
what's about porting the psp cps2 emu to the gp2x. It runs full speed on the psp

sell your gp2x and buy a psp. I know this is heretic, but subcon959 is right: the emulators are shockingly good
What's about posting here if you love the PSP so much more?

The emulators are shockingly good but the screen is shockingly slow leaving the wonderful scaled filtered graphics with 1" long trails when something moves fast.

I believe that 1" trail (ghosting) can be fixed through proper programming techniques on the PSP.

So CPS2 is something the GP2X could use? I'm looking into it right now. :)

The other options would be
- OpenTTD (might be done on the GP2X regardless of another project since I need to get it done on PocketPC's and SmartPhones)
- A commercial game from a developer/publisher friend. There could be some issues with this option as it involves a lot of convincing and planning.

CPS2 might be the best option right now.

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
I believe that 1" trail (ghosting) can be fixed through proper programming techniques on the PSP.

- OpenTTD (might be done on the GP2X regardless of another project since I need to get it done on PocketPC's and SmartPhones)
- A commercial game from a developer/publisher friend. There could be some issues with this option as it involves a lot of convincing and planning.

The ghosting is caused by a slow refresh rate of the LCD itself. I am not sure what programming technique could be used to fix a hardware issue. I guess you could always program it to slow down the action so the liquid crystals could catch up :p

Doesn't open TTD need a 640 x 480 VGA resolution anyway?

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 01:45 PM said:

CPS2 emulation would be fantastic I was thinking about do it using NJ source code but I have been to busy with my other programs but if you do it I know that it will be done right. Go for it!!! :)

I could be completely wrong here, but I was talking to Exophase and he had mentioned something concerning ghosting trails on the PSP screen during gameplay. I guess if you respect the PSP's VSync that ghosting goes considerably down.

Zeladin posted on Dec 14 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
As for DOSBox, I spoke with the DOSBox team and the ARM Dynarec isn't a priority for them right now, so I had some free time to do this project. I lost contact with them recently though so I will get back in touch.

Oh cool! Yay for Dosbox! Or am I the only one who grew up with a 486 computer instead of a playstation?

I grew up with a C64, an amiga & an XT :lol:

Anyway I'd love to see some progress on this, it's really quite slow and sound emulation is a no no at the moment. It does run a good pile of games though. I can even run my turbo pascal tutorial programs on it! (Alas a must for first year Comp Eng :) ).

What games are worth running actually? I haven't gotten a clue as to why people need or use DOSbox, i just never was into the gaming on PC's

It could do with a Gp2x Gui too, which would be quick to do, though not a terribly stimulating project. I suppose NES and SNES are a little more in demand.

And MegaCD and PCEngine-CD :D

GP2X CODER: Thanks for the compliment! :)

DaveC: OpenTTD works best with at least a 640x480 resolution, since most windows and toolbars within it's GUI expect that minimum. What I'm doing this time around for PocketPC's / SmartPhone detected to have a QVGA (240x320/320x240) is a simple (rotated if in portrait) 2x scale down. With that everything is viewable and looks well when building and such, but not for text. Text is very important in this game of course, so I am working on adding a toggle for a viewport mode that will be much more refined than last time around. The viewport mode will allow for scrolling around the 640x480 unscaled screen and of course everything can be done in this mode just fine. The other option I have is to make an actual OpenTTD GUI driven window within the scaled screen that shows a scrollable portion of the game unscaled. :)

nickspoon posted on Dec 14 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
If we could utilise the power of the video decoder properly, it can do a great number of things quickly that can help in both emulation and 3D rendering - things like matrix transformations. The only thing that makes that decoder a video decoder and not versatile computation hardware is the proprietary binary blob on it.

I was bored, and did a little googling, maybe these links can help with info on the decoder (don't shoot me if they don't help :p)

http://www.dignsys.com/eng/product_COM_Mag...cEyes%20MP2520F
http://micro_embed.gd-emb.com/tdetail/id-4448.html
http://mudiweb.com/gp2x/MP2520F_Manual_Eng_V1.0.pdf
(Check out chapter 13)

Now, i might not be used to doing low, LOW level stuff anymore, but that databook is very detailed B)

zodttd posted on Dec 14 2006 at 06:45 PM said:

Yes please!

That would be absolutely superb, and it would be amazing to see you pull it off well.

For those interested, here is a list of CPS-2 games:

Code:
1944: The Loop Master (2000)
19XX: The War Against Destiny (1996)
Alien Vs. Predator (1994)
Battle Circuit (1997)
Capcom Sports Club (1997)
Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness (1995)
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (1993)
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (1996)
Giga Wing (1999)
Great Mahou Daisakusen aka Dimahoo? (2000) 
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (2004)
Jyangokushi: Haoh no Saihai (1999)
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting (2000)
Marvel Super Heroes (1995)
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (1997)
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (1998)
Mighty! Pang (2000)
Pnickies (1994)
Pocket Fighter aka Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix (1997) 
Armored Warriors (1994) 
Progear (2001) 
Puzz Loop 2 (2000)
Mega Man: The Power Battle (1995) 
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters (1996) 
Street Fighter Alpha (1995) 
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998) 
Super Muscle Bomber (1994) 
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (1996) 
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (1993)
Eco Fighters (1994)  -- amazing shooter
Vampire: The Night Warriors aka Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors (1994) 
Vampire Hunter: Darkstalkers' Revenge (1996) 
Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers' Revenge (1997)
Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (1997)
Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire (1997)
X-Men: Children of the Atom (1994)
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (1996)

Back