I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

slaanesh posted on Dec 14 2006 at 11:20 PM said:
The other (bigger) problem is that CPS1 and CPS2 has a wide display 384x224. Oh no! DaveC watch out! It's going to require scaling - and the worst kind; missing pixels!

EDIT: Grammar and speeling. :)

Yeah the scaling would be bad. I guess you could have a crop option too where it is 1:1 but the sides are cut. It would look better but obviously the missing sides would kind of be a problem. This is where a 640 x 480 screen would be nice as well as openTTD.

Another option would be kind of a "fish-eye" scaling where it would cut out every other vertical column of pixels on each side. it would then go to 1:1 in the center where most of the action would be. HDTVs have an option for stretching that is similar where it leaves the center at 1:1 to avoid "fat faces" and just stretches the ends.

I guess the most creative part here is figuring a bunch of different scaling options to try to ease the pain of scaling as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Looks at list again*

There's nothing worth playing on CPS2... but whatever tickles your pickle guys. I'd rather have a port of Little John for a great NES emulator that's super fast.

I thought there was already a good NES emulator on the GP2X?

Anyways, I've started mashing things together. So far so good though not much to show for todays work. Tommorow will most likely give me a first build. :)

For CPS2, I'd like to play Super Puzzle Fighter 2, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, and a try about 2 or 3 other games. Than again, I just do the porting/programming. :p

zodttd posted on Dec 15 2006 at 05:30 AM said:
I thought there was already a good NES emulator on the GP2X?

Anyways, I've started mashing things together. So far so good though not much to show for todays work. Tommorow will most likely give me a first build. :)

For CPS2, I'd like to play Super Puzzle Fighter 2, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, and a try about 2 or 3 other games. Than again, I just do the porting/programming. :p

There is a "good" NES emu but it could use some work. The sound stutters a bit and it isn't full speed unless you overclock. I would think the GP2X could have a full speed FS0 NES emu with near perfect sound at 200 MHz with some optimising.

How will you overcome the resolution thing in CPS2? Will you have options for scale, crop and 1:1, etc?
Good luck.

Jackd posted on Dec 15 2006 at 12:24 AM said:
AHEM! MARVEL VS. FUCKING CAPCOM

That's the game I hate the most out of that list =)

Shikkers posted on Dec 15 2006 at 04:48 AM said:
*Looks at list again*

There's nothing worth playing on CPS2... but whatever tickles your pickle guys. I'd rather have a port of Little John for a great NES emulator that's super fast.

Yeah most of those games are just fighting games. There are a few good shooters for it though.

Shikkers posted on Dec 15 2006 at 03:48 PM said:
There's nothing worth playing on CPS2...
Come on! The Dungeons and Dragons games are awesome! Some of the best arcade RPG fighters made. And really, almost anything Capcom does is really good stuff!

slaanesh posted on Dec 15 2006 at 12:54 AM said:
And really, almost anything Capcom does is really good stuff!

Capcom: putting the me too! ideal back into the market.

I think the biggest problem with the SF type games is the lack of 6 buttons clumped together. This is a bit of a problem on the PSP version too. You end up using the shoulder buttons and it just doesn't end up feeling right.

Okay the GP2x has the select/start buttons just below ABXY, so that my help, but they are a bit small.

I agree about the CPS-1 games - even though MAME already does them, it's like gngeo to mame for the Neo Geo games. Once you've tried full speed 60FPS, it's hard to go back, even to 20-30FPS.

If somehow Cyclone can be shoe-horned in instead of using the 'C' 68K code, then perhaps the extra speed would allow for hi quality sound.

The PSP version running at 222Mhz with Video-Sync off and 11025hz sound.
At 266Mhz it can run with Video Sync on and 22050hz
At 333Mhz it can run with 44100hz and sounds quite nice.

Perhaps an optimized GP2x version with Cyclone and/or DrZ80 could pull it off with 22050 or even 44100hz sound? *shrugs*

I really like Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (1993), one of the best SF games, and of course SF Alpha 3, super ultra fast fighting action, I am bit too slow for this game though, that's why I prefer Super SF II

I still think that in terms of raw processing power gp2x is better than psp.

according to spec sheet, ARM920T clocked at 200 mhz has 200MIPS. Add 940T and overclock to typical 240mhz ... For comparision, Dreamcast had 360MIPS

And second PSP processor is also without MMU, and using it is more tricky than ARM940T.Someone wrote id before on the forum.

CPS2 is pure 2D, you don't need fancy 3d graph processors for it. You need raw processing power and RAM (big roms).
Someone said that emu's for psp are better than for gp2x. Look at neogeo emu, near flawless at 255mhz with fs0 on gp2x and choppy on the psp with fs 1-2. Gp2x is king of portable emu, not psp. But psp has much bigger community, albeit gp2x community is imho better :). The fact we do not have cps2 emu is not because it is "not possible on gp2x thingy", only because no one had tried to port it before.. Good luck ZOTTD!!

DaveC posted on Dec 15 2006 at 12:22 AM said:
Another option would be kind of a "fish-eye" scaling where it would cut out every other vertical column of pixels on each side. it would then go to 1:1 in the center where most of the action would be. HDTVs have an option for stretching that is similar where it leaves the center at 1:1 to avoid "fat faces" and just stretches the ends.

Hi, just to put my views in quickly, I'm really looking forward to the possibility of CPS2 emulation, I love GigaWing, Mars Matrix and Dimahoo, as well as the 194X games that came out. I think DaveC's idea is a really good one and I'd love to see it implemented. It would be nice if it were included for CPS1 on MAME2x as well. I don't normally have a problem with scaling issues, but UN Squadron, one of my favourites, is either pretty messed up or heavily cropped on MAME2x.

Good luck!

Cheers..

slaanesh posted on Dec 15 2006 at 06:23 AM said:
I think the biggest problem with the SF type games is the lack of 6 buttons clumped together.

Coming from someone who wasted weeks of his life playing SF2 on SNES, that's not a problem ;)

I dunno if it's just me, but is the selector broken in the latest release (#3)? I just get the first letter of every directory, and it doesn't seem to obey my commands to actually go DOWN into those directories most of the time.

slaanesh posted on Dec 15 2006 at 12:23 AM said:
I think the biggest problem with the SF type games is the lack of 6 buttons clumped together.

I sometimes have that problem playing Neo Geo fighters. I have that urge to use my fingers (like I would at the arcade) instead of my thumb and things get tangled at that point. It is something that I am willing to get used to in order to enjoy those type fighters on the go.

Back