I Could Cry :(

A good idea is to stop writing on that hard drive... that means: no more booting from it if its the system drive. Make a exact 1:1 image (dd from a live linux cd will help you) as rokdcasbah suggested and have the image scanned from another computer.

Anyways: my sorry for your problems. Loosing work is like loosing hearthblood

omg no no no no no no no no......thats all i can say ...no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

first rule of working with computers

Back up your work

Hands up who actually bothers doing this

i know i dont I had a harddrive with all my mega cd and cd32 games on. I then thought id be a clever dick and sell all my mega cd and cd32 games. My harddrive then broke and I lost all the games.

Thank god for torrent sites

I don't even know what OS, but well... OnTrack Easy Recovery found stuff that I didn't even know I had back in my Windoze days :lol:

There were many other progs... But I'll just deliver you the bad news... Most data recovered was corrupt, I'm sorry... But I do wish you luck :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm a little happier now as 'Squidge' came to the rescue and helped me out and I've managed to recover the files for the 'Cluedo Fruit Machine' and most of my other files as well by the looks it.

I can breathe a small sigh of relief now and think about investing in an external hard drive to minimize the damage if it should happen again. Again thanks everyone and an extra big thanks to Squidge :)

ruckage said:
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm a little happier now as 'Squidge' came to the rescue and helped me out and I've managed to recover the files for the 'Cluedo Fruit Machine' and most of my other files as well by the looks it.

I can breathe a small sigh of relief now and think about investing in an external hard drive to minimize the damage if it should happen again. Again thanks everyone and an extra big thanks to Squidge :)

Congrats! :), glad that recovery has worked.

Squidge, where is the Stella?, you had it last :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
ruckage said:

Hooray! Good for you! And a happy ending for all :)

Ruckage, if you need an FTP Server where you can store your important data (it has triple backups), just tell me!

This goes to other devs as well - want to store important files, you can do so via FTP at gp2x.de

sam fisher said:
X-Code said:
Thanks for the offer :) Mr. EvilDragon...

Oh, out of curiosity... Do you have a prototype of the new... toy? ( I had to ask, I need to interrogate someone :lol: )
Of course he does!

Yes, I know, but I was hoping that he would post a picture of it... I guess...

Even so, I suppose that it'll look like a combination of Zodiac, Zaurus, PSP, Nintendo DS, and GP2X... Not in that order... D*mn!, it's going to be just like my PC! :lol:

If you feel like it's a mechanical issue with your hard drives, you should consider freezing (yes, freezing) your drives. I know that twice (yes, twice) this has worked for me. I just don't remember if it was 10 minutes or two hours. google it.

It is great as a temporary fix for certain mechanical issues (in my case, the click of death). it doesn't fix them, just resurrect them long enough to back them up.

Something to think about...
-Mike

I back everything up onto a Commodore 64 tape drive via a parallel cable and a small server program that runs on the 64. I figure that since I have 20 year old tapes that still work for the c64 it must be the way to go.

ps. This is a joke
pps. I knew a guy in Adelaide who actually did this in about 1995. 100MB onto tape. He restored it successfully too. He also used his c64 as a sound card via the parallel port. Stupid unreliable new tech :S

Just learn by it! I do a lot of photography, and I actually have two backups. Once on an external HDD (once a week) and once a month this gets archived to DVD.

Bit of a pain, but nothing compared to losing it....

EvilDragon said:
Ruckage, if you need an FTP Server where you can store your important data (it has triple backups), just tell me!

This goes to other devs as well - want to store important files, you can do so via FTP at gp2x.de

ed, maybe you could setup an SVN or CVS server? this would be a better way to keep code save. and its nicely integrated into eclipse, or via tortoise in windows explorer, or via plugin to nautilus, kde, etc :)

Back