What Brand 16gb Sd Should I Buy For F100?

One thing I have found with SD cards and the like is that I only buy what I need.
There is very little point and "buying for the future" as prices seem to be in free fall - well at least here in Australia.

Case in point:

The first SD card I bought for my GP2X was a 2GB card. It was expensive at $180, but it was the largest, top speed card at the time. By the time I was anywhere near using it to it's potential prices for this same card was already at the $120 mark.

Recently I bought an 8GB SDHC which was only AUD$36 - I was going to go for the 16GB at AUD$75 but what for? I don't really need zillions of games on there that I never play. It's mainly for some movies and tv shows now. When Pandora comes out and there is sufficient things to play which need loads of space then I will get the 16GB card which will most likely be half the price that it currently is.

Do you see what I mean? Flash cards are NOT an investment. Get the size that you need. I believe that many people waste loads of money buying the biggest capacities when they aren't really needed.

Yay! So I did it. Upgraded from 2.0.0 to 2.1.1, then used notaz's patch and got me running 2.1.2 now :)

I still haven't tested any SDHC cards, because I don't have one yet. But at least my old 4GB non-hc still works \o/

HOWEVER, Gmenu is not loading anymore. I checked the settings to see if autorun was enabled, and it was. Is there anything I need to do to get it working again?

I can't vouch for everything on the ledshoppe site as its all discount stuff so some might not be good, BUT the card readers are perfect and better than expensive card readers.

Paulo: just to ask the obvious question, do you have the gmenu files the same way on the other card with the autorun.gpu script in the root of the card?

jbrodack said:
Paulo: just to ask the obvious question, do you have the gmenu files the same way on the other card with the autorun.gpu script in the root of the card?
Yeah, I actually used another card to do the firmware upgrade, so everything is still the same.

And really weird is this: I was playing with the GBA emulator, and when I quit it, GMenu launched! Whenever I run anything, even when starting it from the usual frontend, quitting it brings me to GMenu. I only can't make it autorun when I turn on my GP2X =/

Last edited by a moderator:
Paulo Becker said:
Yay! So I did it. Upgraded from 2.0.0 to 2.1.1, then used notaz's patch and got me running 2.1.2 now :)

I still haven't tested any SDHC cards, because I don't have one yet. But at least my old 4GB non-hc still works \o/

HOWEVER, Gmenu is not loading anymore. I checked the settings to see if autorun was enabled, and it was. Is there anything I need to do to get it working again?
Paulo, I did this same upgrade yesterday and found my autorun not working also.
For me, it was that I forgot to manually run the .gpu file that comes with the 2.1.1 update.
Run that and you will see the gp2x menu has the fade transitions and autorun works again.

doc5avage said:
Paulo, I did this same upgrade yesterday and found my autorun not working also.
For me, it was that I forgot to manually run the .gpu file that comes with the 2.1.1 update.
Run that and you will see the gp2x menu has the fade transitions and autorun works again.
Yes!! I did it and now it's working again! \o/

Thanks a lot doc and Morpheus! You guys rock :)

Well, I just went ahead and compromised a big slice of my paycheck with a 16 GB A-Data Class 6 SDHC card \o/

The problem is, it should arrive before the card reader that I bought from Led Shoppe... Does anyone know if I'll be able to access the whole 16 GB of my card via the GP2X USB connection to my PC? Or will it give me just those stupid 2 GB? >_<

K, so here I am again :) I decided I couldn't wait until my card reader arrives, so I tried hooking up the GP2X to my computer via the USB cable, and much to my surprise, when I did it my PC recognized the removable storage device with over 14.9 GB in it!

But there's a "catch": after I copied GMenu (and nothing else) to the card and rebooted my GP2X, it all worked flawlessly except that GMenu indicates only 3030 MB as my SD capacity (that IS what the number on the bottom-left corner of the screen means, right?).

I was thinking about copying over 5+ GB worth of movies to the card and firing up my GP2X to see how it goes, but I'm concerned about potential damages to my unit/card/overall health. Should I be concerned?

Sorry to totally break away from the conversation you were having, but:
Does anyone know where you can find 32gig cards? I've looked everywhere and can't find em. Wouldn't mind having a couple for when I get my Pandora :)
Thanks!

PlopperZ said:
Sorry to totally break away from the conversation you were having, but:
Does anyone know where you can find 32gig cards? I've looked everywhere and can't find em. Wouldn't mind having a couple for when I get my Pandora :)
Thanks!
They exist...but it doesn't look like they've been shipped out to many stores yet.

The only site I found a listing for them at is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-32GB-SSD-2...1331&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/32GB-UltraII-SDHC-Ca...331&sr=8-13

Neither of those are available yet though...and considering the companies are Transcend and Sandisk, I think those cards will cost a fortune. I would wait till A-Data releases their 32GB cards. Or getting 2 16GB SDHC cards.

I await the release of 32GB cards, since with those the price of 16GB cards will drop. The cheapest I could get one now is $67 shipped from NewEgg...they used to be cheaper but they jacked up the price like $10 :(

I almost bought a 16GB from Newegg, until I found out 32's existed. I don't know the prices on them, but I imagine they'd be in the $300-$600 range, which is a bit much.
I'd still gladly pay $140 for two 16GB cards for 32gigs of space on my Pandora(thats about 5x the size of my current computer HD)

quadomatic said:
I can't understand why 32GB cards would be $300. I think they'd be $140-ish. The SDHC cards double in price when they double in size (comparing 8GB to 16GB anyways).
The amount of effort required to improve some device's performance doesn't always increase linearly compared to the gain in performance obtained.

There's also the pioneer factor: the early adopters will always pay more for what they get. As technology matures, it becomes cheaper.

Holy cow, I didn't realize you could get 16GB sd cards at such a low price already! Remembering how I paid 60 pounds (about $120) for a 2GB card 2 years ago, crazy.

Does anyone know of a similar offer than the one @ newegg for the UK? I haven't got a credit card and they don't seem to accept paypal, which is a shame. I'd happily grab 2 of those 16GB cards if I can figure out a good place. And I'm guessing I'd need a new card reader as well.

Crazy crazy crazy .... "still can't believe it" :p

"SunSpire"

Back