I Could Cry :(

Simon said:
pps. I knew a guy in Adelaide who actually did this in about 1995. 100MB onto tape. He restored it successfully too. He also used his c64 as a sound card via the parallel port. Stupid unreliable new tech :S
I heard there were solutions to store data on a VHS tape too in those times. Capacity was quoted as ~1GB per tape. I should add that i guess this technique is absolutetly unreliable too :rolleyes:

But on the other hand: backups are a serious problem today. Among the best thing is to make multiple copies of them and distribute them among friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher said:
My school gets 20GB onto a single tape ;) Yes, they still use tape for backing up the User area of the server each week.
We have a mixture of raid 1, raid 5 and tapes. Needless to say, the tape only gets changed when someone remembers, so it normally sits in the machine and gets overwritten about 5 times before someone takes it offsite (ie, home :D )

I know how you must have felt, back in the days of the Amiga I used to use my amiga's for music, one day I lost a complete hard drives worth of data and only 40% was backed up. I lost a lot of amazing original music that I will never be able to recreate again.

Glad to hear you were able to retrieve the data though.

Squidge said:
sam fisher said:
My school gets 20GB onto a single tape ;) Yes, they still use tape for backing up the User area of the server each week.
We have a mixture of raid 1, raid 5 and tapes. Needless to say, the tape only gets changed when someone remembers, so it normally sits in the machine and gets overwritten about 5 times before someone takes it offsite (ie, home :D )

They have only a few tapes lol. They can't afford/be bothered to buy more, so they just overwrite them after 2 weeks or something :D

WarmFluffyUK said:
I know how you must have felt, back in the days of the Amiga I used to use my amiga's for music, one day I lost a complete hard drives worth of data and only 40% was backed up. I lost a lot of amazing original music that I will never be able to recreate again.

fluffy is there any update on the berzerk game ?....

sam: we use tr-5s at work (in addition to a couple of servers), they have an incredible amount of tape inside. it's very thin and there's hundreds of feet of it. they have ones that are larger than 20GB for sure but they start to get pricey. so your school using 20gb tapes doesn't suprise me, as my place of work isn't super techy, just a regular business...most of our backups get done on bleached wood pulp :)

squidge: offsite backup storage? never heard of it myself :p

starg: distribute multiple copies of things among friends? i use cds for that, not tapes...

ruckage said:
Huge disaster, my PC decided to die yesterday, luckily I had some components put by for building a MAME cab so I assembled them to make myself a new machine, unfortunately it looks like my old hard drives have been badly corrupted and it looks like a lot of my data will be unrecoverable. This means that my cluedo fruit machine game and a few others I had in the works won't see the light of day as I can't face re-doing all that work. Luckily most of my old stuff was backed up but I'm still gutted, the cluedo fruit machine was 80% complete. I'll keep you posted on whether I manage to recover anything. :(
OMFG, that is awfull, I hope you'll recover most of your data, I know how it feels because it happens to me often due to a f*king stepbrother messing with things he doesn't know about :(.

fatdad said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

fluffy is there any update on the berzerk game ?....

Recently I have a very busy gal indeed and not had much time for dev'ing as I have been working of websites to get cash to pay for my up and coming Holiday. Also we're in the middle of redecorating.

I will promise to get back to it as soon as I possibly can. Sorry for what may seem to be a lack of interest on my behalf on Berzerk 2X, I haven't forgotten about it and it will happen.

Back