How to calculate a price for the Pyra

OMAP5 can go up to 90C....
So it can't quite make coffee... I demand a SoC that can boil water..
MRsnTQf.jpg

Imagine having the CPU behind the screen with heat sink pointing out of the plastic on the back.. that's most most \m/ metal \m/ idea ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine having the CPU behind the screen with heat sink pointing out of the plastic on the back.. that's most most \m/ metal \m/ idea ever.
Opens the door to a whole other world of cooling options. Could strap/duct tape a cold soda or something to it for a portable liquid cooler or hot plate to keep your coffee warm.

The heatsink could looks like the dragonbox logo, so the heatsink IS the the dragonbox pyra logo. And it is hot ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me that there might be more commercial apps to drop the price. I know, that's not really what we want, but all in all, it should lead to more sales of the device with still better profit.

No. Maybe the Pyra will be able to run more commercial apps than the Pandora (through Android or emulation or maybe the occasional port), but there's no way that that is going to drop the price of the Pyra, since the profit of those commercial apps does not go to ED/DragonBox.

Unless you are proposing a closed or semi-closed software eco-system where ED can force app devs to pay him, commercial apps cannot have an impact on the device price.
That's what I meant: Of course, ED should get his share for each app sold. That's what most software distribution platforms do and they earn a lot of money this way. It would also enhance the target audience (lower device price + support from professional [game] development teams => ordinary consumers would like it)
How do you make sure that ED gets his share while having an open platform that anyone can dev for?

People in this community want to pay for a device that they then completely own. Strangely enough this has become the exception. The business model of Apple, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft etc is based on selling a device cheaply, but you don't really get to own the device. You can't do with it what you want. If you want to run software on it, you're essentially forced to paying again and again (maybe just by watching ads or by letting them spy on you for direct marketing purposes etc). You're basically renting the device, you never really bought the hardware, only a license to use the hardware as they see fit.

The point of the OpenPandora, and also of the Pyra, is to be an open handheld. You pay the price once, but then you own the hardware and do with it what you want. Yes, that means it will be more expensive. In the same sense that buying a house or a car is more expensive than staying in a hotel room or driving everywhere by taxi. The initial sum you have to pay is bigger. But it's totally worth it.
I have nothing against the creator(s) of a device looking for additional funding sources (and I'm happy to donate what I can and perhaps pre-order in order to help) but I'm not sure a closed off "App Store"-style eco-system is the right direction. I would really hate to see this platform turn into another Android or iOS, although I don't think that was being proposed.

It's the openness of the platform that has made Pandora and Pyra so attractive to me and is the primary attribute that has sucked me in. I was originally looking for a good hand held that could run classic game consoles (like Atari, NES, Sega, etc) as well as something that could do some general computing, and happening upon this community, I feel I've found that in absolute spades. I wish I new a couple years earlier of Pandora's existance. I really hope the overall openness doesn't change.

I am really loving all the idea concerning modularity and such as well, like possibly being able to upgrade certain components instead of the entire device. This is essentially the complete opposite of how companies like Apple operate and to me that is a very good thing. I have a 4S (jail-broken) but I'm not an Apple guy by any means and have been wanting to get away from closed platforms, which has been another motivator that has ultimately lead me here. Quite simply, Pandora/Pyra is the sort of thing I've always dreamed about since the early 90's and so I really praise all the efforts that have and are currently going into these projects/products.

I'm not seeing how a App Store automatically means not open. It would be his store and he would be the one to set the rules.
I don't see him taking anything down, unless it's completely stupid. :lol:

I'm not seeing how a App Store automatically means not open. It would be his store and he would be the one to set the rules.

I don't see him taking anything down, unless it's completely stupid. :lol:
Your argument is weird. Look at the repo today. Look at the number of apps there. Look at how many of them are paid-for, and how many are free (as in beer). Exactly how would this generate a revenue stream if ED took a percentage off top? 10% of nothing is very close to nothing, too. "There could be more commercial apps" - What apps are you missing, that will be viable on the Pyra? And, particularly, that doesn't already have a free and capable alternative? Or should ED suddenly start charging for the free stuff? Why wouldn't someone just start the alternative repo, where at least all of the free (as in speech) stuff is offered free of charge?

"Well, we should all support EDs app store, out of the goodness of our hearts" - Yes, well...I do. Most of us do. But most of us also prefer honest business - that is, "we pay for the device the cost of the device", not "We pay for the device a made-up but too low price, and are then forced (through DRM or through emotional pressure) to keep paying the difference through unspecified extra skims-on-top throughout the lifetime of the device".

Or: This is a gadget targetted at people who are actually able to do basic addition.

the only revenue stream that's profitable for pyra in my mind is pop up ads. However that's against what pandora stands for. : p

No adware, nagware, begware, crippleware or spyware, no $0.99 fart "apps", no in-game-purchase nonsense, no free-to-play pay-to-win crap, no DRM, no subscription fees, no dev fees. That is the difference between a niche project with a community spirit, and the mainstream market paradigm. We contribute for fun and community respect, not for profit.

ED can get some auxiliary revenue from selling hardware accessories (SD cards, suitable USB gadgets etc), like he already does to some extent. I'm glad to support his shop by buying such things from him instead of from the cheapest source. But the price of the Pyra should still be calculated such that if ED would only sell the Pyra, his shop would survive.

Having worked on some commercial games myself, I think there is a place for commercial games in this world.

They dont require an appstore though. A commercial indie developer could release a closed-source demo to the PND repository, along with a link to download the full game from their website with a paypal/CC payment.

A handful of developers might just decide to do it because they think the Pyra is a damn cool platform. Probably wont be a serious financial incentive with so few units.

Having worked on some commercial games myself, I think there is a place for commercial games in this world.

They dont require an appstore though. A commercial indie developer could release a closed-source demo to the PND repository, along with a link to download the full game from their website with a paypal/CC payment.

A handful of developers might just decide to do it because they think the Pyra is a damn cool platform. Probably wont be a serious financial incentive with so few units.
I support this approach.

Or they can use the PND repo to sell their stuff. Without having to pay ED and without having to pay a dev fee.

Back