How to calculate a price for the Pyra

I do not understand why we Europeans need to sponsor the shipping costs for the US customers.

US customers do not pay VAT to start with.

This implies that you could keep the price basically the same for both.

With the extra 20% you pay either the VAT in Europe or the shipping to the US.

Then there are also distributors (like ThinkGeek, Ithic.com, GetDigital.de, etc.)

They also want at least 15 - 20% profit (they've got huge shipping costs from Germany to US as well) - which leads to a price of about 500 EUR.

Of course, they won't be happy if I sell it for a lower price as they do - so I would need to calculate with that price as well.

In our scenario, we'd have a final price of about 499 EUR.

Shipping 1000 units to US should cost about 800 - 1000 USD.

So that's 1 USD more per unit...

I do not understand why we Europeans need to sponsor the shipping costs for the US customers.

Quote said:
Then there are also distributors (like ThinkGeek, Ithic.com, GetDigital.de, etc.)

They also want at least 15 - 20% profit (they've got huge shipping costs from Germany to US as well) - which leads to a price of about 500 EUR.

Of course, they won't be happy if I sell it for a lower price as they do - so I would need to calculate with that price as well.

I think that you pay the VAT where you buy the product from, in Europe. So even US are going to pay VAT if they buy it from ED, and be sure that the Pyra won't be cheaper on third party webstore. Moreover I rather buy it from ED, because he deserves it and because it will be safer. So you can at least expect to find the same price, as minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you pay the VAT where you buy the product from, in Europe. So even US are going to pay VAT if they buy it from ED, and be sure that the Pyra won't be cheaper on third party webstore. Moreover I rather buy it from ED, because he deserves it and because it will be safer. So you can at least expect to find the same price, as minimum.
That only applies within the EU.  People from countries outside the EU (including people in the US) do not pay VAT when importing from an EU country.

-Neelix

Depending on state laws we may have to pay taxes when purchasing from the US reseller. we are also suppose to declare any purchases from online business and be taxed accordingly, but most people don't report those kinds of purchases when filing their tax return forms every year.

That only applies within the EU.  People from countries outside the EU (including people in the US) do not pay VAT when importing from an EU country.

-Neelix
Oh, I didn't know it. Still, It will cost the same thing for US customer, here what-if scenarios with UPS shipping:

To France :

UPS TO FRANCE.png

Final price: 660€/727$ for a 600€/660$ Pyra

To US:

UPS TO US.png

Final price: 590€/650$ for a 400€/440$ Pyra 

"When doing those calculations, you should use the actual shipping costs from my shop:

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/content/11-shipping_costs

To France, it's 23,80 EUR standard rate (68,00 EUR Express) and 64 EUR to US (only Express possible)."

Well, now I'm quite agree with GinGordon, it doesn't seem fair for us to pay 40€ more. Everybody should pay at least the same final price as item value.

You aren't paying 40 EUR more.

VAT is being deducted by the government. It's a tax.

I could ask the same thing: Should I get less payment per unit because YOU have to pay taxes?

You aren't paying 40 EUR more.

VAT is being deducted by the government. It's a tax.

I could ask the same thing: Should I get less payment per unit because YOU have to pay taxes?
Of course not! I'm only noticing that GinGordon has half right, but things work that way, so we will put up with it. I was more suggesting to rise up the US price as the European price, but it doesn't seem faire too. So nevermind! Your shipping cost are great.

sorry to break the current discussion, but I have a question. So its already a given that the pyra is assembled, but would there be a possible market for an unassembled DIY pyra kit? I figure if you cut the costs of actually putting it together it could be a option for the high-end enthusiast/hobbyists to really dig into the device. 

As for the current topic, think about it guys.. This is pretty much the definition of a homegrown project. sure its gotten popular but there is no way that ED would be able to cover everyone's VAT. That's a really unrealistic request. As to raising the US price to the European price spec, I'm not too sure how that will go over. Though the extra cost might help secure a holding later on too.....

sorry to break the current discussion, but I have a question. So its already a given that the pyra is assembled, but would there be a possible market for an unassembled DIY pyra kit? I figure if you cut the costs of actually putting it together it could be a option for the high-end enthusiast/hobbyists to really dig into the device. 

Selling it as a kit would shave only a few dollars of the cost most likely, assuming you are not talking about someone trying to hand populate the components on the PCB which would be out the realm of most people even people with experience with SMD soldering. However like the Pandora, my guess parts would be sold in the shop if someone would be wanting to put one together themselves. 

As for the current topic, think about it guys.. This is pretty much the definition of a homegrown project. sure its gotten popular but there is no way that ED would be able to cover everyone's VAT. That's a really unrealistic request. As to raising the US price to the European price spec, I'm not too sure how that will go over. Though the extra cost might help secure a holding later on too.....

You would save some money, but remember the device is untested then. Well you could let them assemble it, test it, disassemble it and send it to you - for extra money.

Yea hand population would be quite difficult.

And Urben you brought up the one thing I forgot about, they would have to test the hardware before bring it out lol my bad. 

Back