Heavy Metal

Looks a little bit rough on the pictures.

You'd be surprised at how smooth rough-looking metal can sometimes be.  It's so shiny that abrasions of micrometer width are visible (especially if they're patterned, like from a drill) but you'd be damned if you could actually feel them.

cool (& heavy) images!!
looks allready verry accurate to me, including a textured
surface, nice!

man i really disliked the mould-quality of the pandora cases.
dents and cuts everywhere and it had to be painted to hide
the bad plastic, so the fit was waay off.

davec really did a great job designing the case, but
this chinese pandora mould-company (dwg?) *really* screwed it!
in the end, it's the case one holds in the hand all the time
using a... handheld, so im soo glad the pyra gets a proper
professional done case this time!

next, black art of plastics alchemy! :)

Love the little "trick" used to create the loop for the wrist strap. ^_^

I think the most telling thing about the difference between EvilDragon's and Craigix's take on project management can be seen here:

a company which I will visit soon for another pre-production run

when the Pandora's timeline started slipping I suggested that he needed to go and oversee things.  This advice came from a video he posted at least twice on the difficulty of dealing with Chinese manufacturers. He responded back angrily, saying that he knew what he was doing and that it wasn't needed, they'd keep doing the same 6 week turnaround with shipping and tweaking as they'd started with.

Meanwhile, ED is actually doing the thing, going to visit the facility to oversee the development and tweaking.  Granted it's probably just a few hour trainride instead of an 18 hour flight, but that's the price of cheap Chinese labour.

I think the most telling thing about the difference between EvilDragon's and Craigix's take on project management can be seen here:

when the Pandora's timeline started slipping I suggested that he needed to go and oversee things.  This advice came from a video he posted at least twice on the difficulty of dealing with Chinese manufacturers. He responded back angrily, saying that he knew what he was doing and that it wasn't needed, they'd keep doing the same 6 week turnaround with shipping and tweaking as they'd started with.

Meanwhile, ED is actually doing the thing, going to visit the facility to oversee the development and tweaking.  Granted it's probably just a few hour trainride instead of an 18 hour flight, but that's the price of cheap Chinese labour.

I guess technically minded people tend to disregard the value of things like meeting people in person and visiting the location where things are actually happening. I bet there were metric tons of misunderstanding happened during the Pandora project. Which later on turned into serious issues which ended up costing a lot of (our) money.

Last edited by a moderator:
So pretty much every plastic object are injected molded!

I guess plastic films are produced by some other method, and other odd things like CDs and plastic watch faces are also not produced by high-pressure injection methods, and increasingly you're likely to come across something that has been 3d printed, but other than that, yeah, everything plastic.

ED, I'm curious as to how much those molds cost.  Is that something you can share?

ED, I'm curious as to how much those molds cost.  Is that something you can share?
Code:
Donation Goals

Pyra mold for case

The costs for the full mold for the case.

948.00 EUR of 49,000.00 EUR goal reached.

It says on the left side of the main forum page in "Donation Goals" part.

Guess he didn't know 18-hr flight is not that long for Air Asia ;)

Reactions: rSl
vcoleiro said:
26 minutes ago, vcoleiro said: ED, I'm curious as to how much those molds cost.  Is that something you can share?

Code:
Donation GoalsPyra mold for caseThe costs for the full mold for the case.948.00 EUR of 49,000.00 EUR goal reached.
It says on the left side of the main forum page in "Donation Goals" part.
Admittedly this was for spin-cast moulding, but when I wanted to pay for the creation of the moulds upfront, the company insisted on including the costs as part of the final price I pay per part based on the size of my order...

They said this was standard practice and that the cost of the moulds would be excessive if i payed for them myself.

I wasn't too happy with this arrangement as a very small company I placed orders in the 100s not thousands... so I'm sure my first order covered the costs for them, but every order after that, they got a nice inflated profit.

So I'm sure in ED'S case it's a similar situation... but hopefully they are more transparent about actual costs to ED... this is a far more professional large scale opperation than what I was doing (but still pretty small comparatively)...

Great!

eagerly waiting for the Pyra. My Pandora develops some interessting 'handling features' after now 4 (?) years of heavy and constant use. Suddenly it doesn't turn on anymore, eats batteries like mad (oh ... it could be it's just the one specific one ... I've to check on that ...).

as long as it's as durable as the Pandora was, the Pyra will be a success!

have a nice time and thanks already for ..

peb

great news! this is all very exciting, keep them pictures coming ED! Looking forward to hear your report directly from greece. can you make a small video of the production floor, too?  

I need to sell some stuff and save money for a pyra... 

ED, ...you didn't mention anything about all that milk, what's it for? :p

It cools and lubricates, and partly it removes debre/trimmings. All to give the drillbit the best conditions, for the best possible result.

are you 100% certain? ok.png

P.S: I'm really loving all these development updates! they're quite exciting! thanks ED!

Back