Gpx2 Unvailed!!

SbS Studios posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:25 PM said:
The GP32 originally didn't support homebrew (memory is a bit hazzy, too much time spent in the student bar :p, so if i'm wrong there I place the blame on cider), where as the GPx2 has been made with homebrew development as a key factor. I think this will have a hugh impact on how it handles for programming.

Just noticed on thier website pictures, looks like it has a battery indicator ...... someone's listening after all :p

Yes you're right there,they are releasing the SDK as open source with support for linux and windows development environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 27 2005 at 05:20 PM said:
Jarska333 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
There's a point... How similar are the CPU's? Intel P100mhz =/= GP32 100mhz...

The thing is it's not just the CPU and its speed. To put it simply, it's more to do with the surrounding hardware. The speed of the bus. how it's connected. The Ram type and the whole technology of the system.

Everyone knows if you want a fater PC, you don't just update the CPU for a faster one. If that was the case we would all still be running a mega fast 8086 with slow DRAM and an RLL Hard drive. There was no such thing as Ultra DMA, Serial ATA or the ablity to play with the front side bus speed. This is it you see, the technology surrounding it all has moved on. And I suspect it's the same with the GPX2. It's a different architecture machine, therfore faster from the off....

.. and a lot of us work with a dozen various ARM platforms every day ;)

Clock isn't the whole story, but when the platform is essentially an ARM chip (with nothing else), its most of it ;)

ie: What is a gp32? Its an ARM + RAM + LCD + controls. No custom hardware. RAM speed and bus and such help but.. clock is most of it since theres not much else in there :)

jeff

Course, Quake1 is fully doable on 300MHz, so this should be able to do realtively rudimentary 3d with s/w renderers, but we want more of course.

If the second cpu is just a dedicated 2d gpu, then its not dual core in terms of codability. Bu tI didn't loko at the chip specs.

And note -- its all subject to change :)

skeezix posted on Jul 27 2005 at 04:31 PM said:

Exactly! That's what makes me not worry. It says that right on the site and they even have the suggestion section. They really don't want to screw this one up.

skeezix posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:31 PM said:
.. and a lot of us work with a dozen various ARM platforms every day ;)

Clock isn't the whole story, but when the platform is essentially an ARM chip (with nothing else), its most of it ;)

ie: What is a gp32? Its an ARM + RAM + LCD + controls. No custom hardware. RAM speed and bus and such help but.. clock is most of it since theres not much else in there :)

jeff

Course, Quake1 is fully doable on 300MHz, so this should be able to do realtively rudimentary 3d with s/w renderers, but we want more of course.

If the second cpu is just a dedicated 2d gpu, then its not dual core in terms of codability. Bu tI didn't loko at the chip specs.

I still say the surrounding technology is going to make a lot of difference. In all the years I have been in computing, 18 years of that in our University. I have never seen technology stand still for an instant. We can all imagine how good or bad this unit is going to turn out, but I bet when we get our hands on it, it will impress the socks off us!

We just won't know until it arrives!

Edit: Won't the 2D CPU be accessable via SDK?

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:37 PM said:

Very true, but I'll buy it regardless.

I have a question though, how many people are going to buy this for making thier own games/programs instead of just for faster emulation?

SbS Studios posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:39 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:37 PM said:

Very true, but I'll buy it regardless.

I have a question though, how many people are going to buy this for making thier own games/programs instead of just for faster emulation?

Actually, I might look into developing for it myself! I might port my game Berzerk2005 over to it!

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 27 2005 at 05:37 PM said:
I still say the surrounding technology is going to make a lot of difference. In all the years I have been in computing, 18 years of that in our University. I have never seen technology stand still for an instant. We can all imagine how good or bad this unit is going to turn out, but I bet when we get our hands on it, it will impress the socks off us!

Edit: Won't the 2D CPU be accessable via SDK?

Thats a big one -- if its just a 2d GPU and done 'typically', then it will have limited access to devvers (except through some direct register hacking etc, no biggy.) ie: That would mean your CPU for doing work is 250MHz (and likely overclockable), but the other CPU is just for graphic work. So for 3d work, you'd really be limited to the one CPU for instance, and its not blazingly fast.

ie: 2*250 is different than 1*250+GPU

Nothing wrong with 2d, natch ;)

We'll have to get more info..

jeff

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 27 2005 at 05:41 PM said:
Actually, I might look into developing for it myself! I might port my game Berzerk2005 over to it!

Berzerk2005?

Woops, off topic ;)

jeff

Doing a bit of googling it appears the ARM940T typically has a clock rate of around 100-168mhz and amusingly doesn't seem to have Linux support according to one help board...

*edit x 2*

also the ARM940T 'only has MPU, not an MMU'....

I know I should know what that means from computer science ;_;

It can also go up to 400mhz alledgedly, used in lots of DVD players

nice retro stylin...

think ill get me one of these thangs

and a nice original blu when they all get put on ebay :D

BTW off topic - do you know the sudoku game is becoming very famous - the first GP32 killer app!

Put it on the new system and we will have a GB/tetris thing happaning I swear!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Gamepark won't reveal (yet) the exact CPU set up. I have been taking notes of suggestions for months and also i've mentioned to them about the button layout for vertical use already, but a few emails to them should help further that cause ;)

They *are* listening this time.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

PLEAS make them add a touchscreen, its realy only 5$ and it opens so many possibilitys, as they have linux allready on it it just wouldnt make sense to not add one.

no_skill posted on Jul 27 2005 at 12:29 PM said:
/me votes for a redesign.

look what this thing has to compete with (design wise):
psp.jpg

and: 32mb ram, but 64mb flash memory? wtf?

dual core cpu, but no 3d accelerator?

main feature says:
game.gif
wtf?

omfg!

no way - this thing is for retro freaks - not sony townies - Ill tell thee where you can stick ones PSP my lad!

;)

what the law of manufacturing? Any additional costs get doubled when passed on to the consumer?

Or in the case of the UK : "you need a 3 pin plug, that will be an extra £40 on the US price" *eyes sony, Dell and HP*

@ craig - have they put a provisional release date on this yet?

@davec - how can you predict exactly what this system can and cannot do at this point without ever picking one up and coding somthing specifically for it? Give the thing a bloody chance before you shoot it down in flames! no one likes a winger!

Nice to have craig to clear things up, well sort of..., let the crazy cpu speculations begin. :blink:

What I would really like would be sdk support for the usb host controller (if the finished system has a usb host controller).

EDIT:

x68000 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 11:04 PM said:
... Give the thing a bloody chance before you shoot it down in flames! no one likes a winger!

Thats the spirit. :D

This project is definitly interesting :)
I love the design honnestly, even if I would adore a possibility to play mame's shmups in vertical way, but that's belong to dream ^^

Concerning the specs, as it have been mention, it seems they are not definitly like that ... so let's wait & see the final working product to know how much power we'll get :)

I hope it'll have a final price / final design / final release date extremly soon ;) can't wait to know more about it :)

oh and if it's quite cheap (< or = to 100£ then I'll buy it at once ^^)
but of course if finaly it got extra memory / extra mhz then I'll save more & be ready to put extra money too ;p

But I'm sure that Craig will do a great communication job about our thoughts & wishes :)

Back