GPD Pocket

Just do what GPD do,

Proto-Full-2.jpg

and then sell it to them with a promise of drivers forthcoming.

Interesting split.

229 Poeple have opted for a GPD Pocket with Windows 10 ie 93% of backers

18 People have opted for a GPD Pocket with Ubuntu 16.04 ie 7% of backers

That might not tell the whole story though. Linux users are prety smart. Many of them realize that the Ubuntu image for this can be published and they can get that later. If they want a functioning Windows image to have around for it, though, maybe buy the Windows version, back it up or dual OS it. But, getting that initial licensed Windows copy is essentially free since both versions have the same price point.

Or you coud see it as the Windows tax gets charged either way. May as well get a copy.

And what is the general market share for Linux? Haven't seen figured lately, but for portable computer 7% seems quite fine, no?

And what is the general market share for Linux? Haven't seen figured lately, but for portable computer 7% seems quite fine, no?
Even in my house, where *nix was on nearly every computer (mostly Linux) it has started to wane. Now we are talking about getting another Windows box (that would mean 3), and there is a chance I may need one...:( Linux still dominates on our older computers, though.

The Linux split has increased to 16% (up from 7%) , so it seems more are opting for it.

That might not tell the whole story though. Linux users are prety smart. Many of them realize that the Ubuntu image for this can be published and they can get that later. If they want a functioning Windows image to have around for it, though, maybe buy the Windows version, back it up or dual OS it. But, getting that initial licensed Windows copy is essentially free since both versions have the same price point.

I think you might be right there. Get WIN 10 and it's license key, then back it up and get the Ubuntu build

And I had another thought... Just where ARE the people with torches and pitchforks upset over this not having (a) camera(s)?

And I had another thought... Just where ARE the people with torches and pitchforks upset over this not having (a) camera(s)?

That's because no one is thinking to use it as a phone !!

You know, only phones needs a camera !!

So to date , the PYRA has 1022 Pre-orders which has taken 41 weeks ie 287 days to achieve.

The Pocket has just reached 1022 orders in 21 hours - less than a day. Pretty impressive

I mentioned before that it is doing a lot better than the WIN did, the reason is that the WIN didn't get any publicity for a while, ie not many tech sites wrote about it until a number of days into the campaign. The Pocket seems to have gotten what the WIN did, but from the get go. That's pretty much because GPD did it different this time and got press pack together and out , and also having a preview of the campaign on their site which they could point journos to. Probably doesn't hurt that this time at least some people know who they are. Not many did the first time with the WIN.

That's because no one is thinking to use it as a phone !!

You know, only phones needs a camera !!

Ahh - so if they had included an option for a 4G mobile data module that had a hypothetical capability to do voice communications THEN it would be an issue and "require" a camera. I'm starting to understand.

Capability to talk to someone means you must also be able to capture pictures of cats.

To be fair, I know people who would love to see such a small windoze device available at the workplace. I could have sold a few Pandoras at my old job. The potential customers were only put off by the OS. All complaints aside, the pocket is a smart move.

If the support can be guaranteed, selling a Pyra with X86 CPU board to corporate entities could be quite the boon.

Last edited:
I tell you what, ED better work out a marketing plan to advertise to the Japanese market.

Over 60% of backers of the GPD WIN were from Japan. And looking at the backers for the Pocket, that seems to be holding true again.

The Japanese simply love their UMPCs.

How about selling the Pyra in a wooden box for Japanese buyers? Didn't ekianjo sell Pandoras in nice wooden boxes with a sleeve? Actually, are those boxes still available to buy? Once my tax return comes in I want one of them boxes.
Also I would be more than happy to pay extra for a Pyra in a nice wooden box with a nice red sleeve or something. Or maybe a nice reddish wooden box with a metal latch.

Speaking of the Japanese, considering how much they seem to love UMPCs and how much they love mobile/handheld gaming it's strange how not a single Japanese company has ever tried to making a gaming UMPC and how none so far are even considering it.
The first ever gaming UMPC to actually release are from the British and Germans (was Craig's branch British? Ashens seems to think so at least) with a follow up from a German company, and then the third gaming UMPC ever to exist (and the first x86 one ever, at that) is a Chinese invention. Come on Japan, you gotta up your game. Literally.

Last edited:
So after 24 hours they have :

$473,288 USD raised by 1145 backers
[doublepost=1487226813,1487209527][/doublepost]GPD Pocket has been upgraded to 8GB RAM. Below is the last Indiegogo update abut it

"Dear Backer

Here is a really good news for you guys.As many backers suggestion.We finally decide to upgrade the 4G RAM to 8G for free,Memory type is still LPDDR3-1600"

Last edited:
Why couldn't the win have had 8GB of RAM?

I can't see needing that much memory on what is intended to be a high end netbook. It lacks the gaming controls to be for gaming plus lacks the graphics power at 1080p, the win can barely keep up at 720p. It also lacks the screen space to be useful for large multitasking. I can't imagine needing 8GB of RAM for my emails, word processor or web browser.

Why couldn't the win have had 8GB of RAM?

I can't see needing that much memory on what is intended to be a high end netbook. It lacks the gaming controls to be for gaming plus lacks the graphics power at 1080p, the win can barely keep up at 720p. It also lacks the screen space to be useful for large multitasking. I can't imagine needing 8GB of RAM for my emails, word processor or web browser.
Gpd needs some selling points for the Pocket compared to the Win. No gaming control, no micro sd card reader, bigger, slower because of the internal resolution.

All points for me are not good, at least 8Gb isn't so bad even if it's totally useless to me.

Honestly, 8GB for a Windows machine in 2017 might not be so useless. This is a voracious OS.

I agree with Grench's analysis: if I was buying this device, I would buy the Windows version as the price is the same. If the Linux version was even just 5$ less, I would choose the Linux version instead. That's how much I value the windows OS. But I'll take the free license, even if it's just for an eventual resell value.

Also you might be in a situation where the Linux drivers are sub-par for some months/years and you're better off using windows in the beginning before switching.

Along with upgrading the RAM to 8GB, they have also upgraded the SOC to the Z8750

Latest Indiegogo update:

"Dear Backer

Along with the RAM upgrade.We decide to upgrade the CPU from Z8700 to Z8750.Double surprise.^^"

In some states in the US manufacturers are required to sell replacement parts including replacement non replaceable batteries if they want to sell in that state.
Does Apple sell any products in these states?

Back