GPD Pocket

Interesting device - 7 inch screen is exactly what I was hoping for the Pyra would be. I don't consider the Pandora or Pyra to be pocketable anyway (try walking with a Pandora in your jeans) so that was never a selling point for me. The larger screen will certainly improve the browsing experience.
Haven't seen anyone mentioning a docking station. A device like this (incl. the Pyra) with a docking station and a fully functional Linux distro would be an immediate purchase from me.

And where would you get your non-standardized replacement battery if not from the device manufacturer who ships replacement batteries for his devices?
Depends on the device. I was thinking mostly of phones where "non-replaceable" simply means "not user-serviceable", and somewhere out there they are selling batteries. Like the iPhones, you can totally just go on Amazon and get a replacement battery for $40. For something as niche as the GPD stuff that may actually be a challenge.

I consider the lack of an sd card slot a bigger mistake/issue than the non replaceable battery. Hope they can still manage to squeeze one in.

I consider the lack of an sd card slot a bigger mistake/issue than the non replaceable battery. Hope they can still manage to squeeze one in.

I have suspected that phone manufacturers removed the microSD slots for a while as they tried very hard to push people into using their branded cloud storage (to be monetized through mining user's data and eventual fees) instead. That plan seems to have only worked well for a single company that sells fruit to sheep. Their competitors have gone back to including local storage options - with quite ingenious little drawers through the edges of the phones.

With this GPD Pocket, though... as far as I can tell they don't have an in-house branded cloud storage solution to try to monetize. So, if they don't have an enhanced revenue scenario (cloud storage), then it would make more sense to include the features people want. In a device of this size, my expectations isn't simply a single microSD slot. I would expect two or more slots with at least one being a full sized SD card slot - preferably with the U3 additional pins interface.

The bad stuff:
No removable battery.
No expandable on-board storage.
No 4G hardware.
Very wide - it's a long brick for a pocket.
How well will they do their Linux drivers?

The good stuff:
Relatively thin.
More screen.
X86 (a plus to me)
Linux if the drivers are good.
Tolerable keyboard (was a major reason I didn't buy a Win).

Frankly, if ED can firmly state that I'll be getting my Pyra Prototype before the end of March, I wouldn't give the GPD Pocket another glance. But, I do like my gadgets. As time drags on for the Pyra I have to give these new options consideration. I'm still on the fence on whether to get in on the pre-order for it. It isn't perfect, but it could fill a niche.

The GPD Pocket is live on Indiegogo. In just 2-3 hours, they are halfway to their 200K goal

Looks like delivery is scheduled for June

Interesting split.

229 Poeple have opted for a GPD Pocket with Windows 10 ie 93% of backers

18 People have opted for a GPD Pocket with Ubuntu 16.04 ie 7% of backers

GPD Pocket on Indiegogo: www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

o7m7t28rnic1nhzfmjga.jpg

Last edited:
Question 1 of their FAQ is one of the most worrying things preventing me from pre-ordering. Odds are something that expensive would be picked up by customs, and held by the post office. I'd then have to pay 17.5% VAT on it, custom duty at some unspecified rate that I apparently have to call a helpline to find out, and the post offices own scalping fee. If I bought it from some supplier in the EU, it'd be more expensive because VAT would be charged at source, but at least all of those other fees and faff is avoided.

and it's hard to see why people would shy away from ubuntu:
" As long as you like, there is no function Ubuntu cannot achieve. "

The English is worse than in the GPD WIN campaign. Not sure why they didn't hire an English writer. I mentioned that to them last time

Wow , Funding goal of $200,000 reached in just 6 hours (with 480 backers)

The GPD WIN took 8 days to reach it's funding goal which was only half that.

3:42 glossy screen sure is glossy.
The product is quite sexy otherwise. From a former HP Jornada lover, I really want to like this product but well, I cannot.

Also the comparison of CPU to the MacBook Air is dishonest: as far as I know, the Air doesn't use an Atom CPU. Typical Chinese manufacturer marketing.

I tell you what, ED better work out a marketing plan to advertise to the Japanese market.

Over 60% of backers of the GPD WIN were from Japan. And looking at the backers for the Pocket, that seems to be holding true again.

The Japanese simply love their UMPCs.

Last edited:
I tell you what, ED better work out a marketing plan to advertise to the Japanese market.

Over 60% of backers of the GPD WIN where from Japan. And looking at the backers for the Pocket, that seems to be holding true again.

The Japanese simply love their UMPCs.
Makes sense.

In that note, I was idly wondering if any of their denshi jisho (electronic dictionaries) were hackable, as they also often have the same type of form factor and full keyboards.

Back